Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #1846
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,843

That's what I thought, too. Here's me on a weekend trip with camping equipment for two, plus two Kermit chairs, and our sleeping pads are the old style huge ThermARests ...

The tent fits completely with footprint and poles in the exhaust side pannier with lots of space left, like for the cook set or clothes, the left side lid has jacket liner / rain gear. The right side pannier has two sleeping bags, food, tools, and other assorted stuff, the Ortlieb bag has two Kermit chairs and the sleeping pads.

Big tent:

And the lovely riding companion:

cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #1847
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burren Rider View Post
G'Day,

I certainly don't disagree with that at all. When it comes to an all round bike I think the Tiger has them all beat.

My only reason for trying something different (apart from being a bit impulsive with these things) is that most of my riding is dirt oriented.

Cheers,

Danny

Based on hi-lited text...you're selling a 990 for a 800XC???

IMO the KTM is much stronger off pavement. Better suspension, better gearing, lower torque. It's a giant dirtbike. For more dirt I would be lookng for a 950 Super Enduro.

The Tiger is definitely not a 'dirtbike'. You soon find this out when disassembling for maintenance. For example, airbox is definitely streetbike. Motor is definitely streetbike. Ergos are definitely streetbike. Suspension can be tweaked, but also street oriented as built.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Tiger, but I didn't buy it for 'dirt oriented' riding. There are better choices. Consider checking out the KTM 500EXC for a dirt oriented motorbike.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #1848
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Jesus Christ. I don't carry that much stuff for a 4000-mile two-week trip. I take it that bag on the pillion seat contains the kitchen sink?

--mark
Haha, it is nice to know that the Tiger is up to the task when armageddon hits.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #1849
some call me...tim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

IMO the KTM is much stronger off pavement. Better suspension, better gearing, lower torque. It's a giant dirtbike. For more dirt I would be lookng for a 950 Super Enduro.

The Tiger is definitely not a 'dirtbike'. You soon find this out when disassembling for maintenance. For example, airbox is definitely streetbike. Motor is definitely streetbike. Ergos are definitely streetbike. Suspension can be tweaked, but also street oriented as built.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Tiger, but I didn't buy it for 'dirt oriented' riding. There are better choices. Consider checking out the KTM 500EXC for a dirt oriented motorbike.
I think you got your posters mixed up there, browneye. I don't think BR needs much advice from us on the capabilities of the XC. ;)
some call me...tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #1850
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Uh Chris, I think you may have it bass ackwards.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #1851
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,126
top case advice

Hey guys!

Saw a used Givi KAPPA Garda 46L for $260... how have you guys liked the givi or what has been heard about them for a top case??

Also what were the prices you guys got the tigers out the door for?? Got a used tiger but it's drive's away and has 10k miles on it, still got 15months of warranty...

Thanks!
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:27 AM   #1852
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 5,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Uh Chris, I think you may have it bass ackwards.
Well duh, that makes a lot more sense then.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #1853
JCANRUN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Rear Racks for Tip Over Protection

I'm looking for suggestions for rear pannier racks, but I want them mainly for tip over protection as opposed to mounting hard cases on them. (I will go with Wolfman soft bags for panniers if necessary.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I've also pretty much decided on the SW Motech Crash Bars for the fronts.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #1854
RED05
Are we there yet?

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCANRUN View Post
I'm looking for suggestions for rear pannier racks, but I want them mainly for tip over protection as opposed to mounting hard cases on them. (I will go with Wolfman soft bags for panniers if necessary.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Not sure you need to protect the back end like that. I have sw motec crash bars and have tipped lots- Laid down - dropped off ledge ect. And only time I had damage to the back end was going past vertical (wheelie+++)which pannier rack wouldn't help - plus it was only the signal light. And I do not have rear racks. Big trips - giant loop though.

RED05 screwed with this post 05-07-2013 at 03:29 PM
RED05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:35 PM   #1855
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Oddometer: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCANRUN View Post

HT racks actually do protect the rear frame, extremely beefy too
Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #1856
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubl-A View Post
HT racks actually do protect the rear frame, extremely beefy too
Well... they may actually not protect it. If they are too rigid they will transfer the impact directly to the frame (which is not a rear frame or subframe). Soft bags are more likely to offer protection.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #1857
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Well... they may actually not protect it. If they are too rigid they will transfer the impact directly to the frame (which is not a rear frame or subframe). Soft bags are more likely to offer protection.

Soft bags will do nothing to protect the obnoxiously protruding rear pegs. The major design flaw leaves the subframe dangerously exposed. You're screwed either way in a crash.

If you look at the HT design closely, the racks almost act like a skid for a forward motion drop and would take the beating in a hard drop.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:50 AM   #1858
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Soft bags will do nothing to protect the obnoxiously protruding rear pegs. The major design flaw leaves the subframe dangerously exposed. You're screwed either way in a crash.

If you look at the HT design closely, the racks almost act like a skid for a forward motion drop and would take the beating in a hard drop.
not true. ive personally seen hard bags pop off during a crash on the tiger. my soft bags have stayed put every time.
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 AM   #1859
Dubl-A
SuckerDucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
not true. ive personally seen hard bags pop off during a crash on the tiger. my soft bags have stayed put every time.

Re-read the quote. We were discussing the subframe being damaged.

When I dirt ride I take my panniers off and use the HT as a rear crashbar

You talking about the Triumph bags?
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #1860
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,599
Quote:

I agree that design seems to have shortcomings, what with the examples of "totaled" bikes on various threads due to the left buddy peg folding up after auguring into dirt. It should have been designed with a breakaway point using a low-grade bolt.

The Hepco & Becker pannier mounts I installed on the XC impressed me with the way they tie in. There is an included plate with a hole and a guide pin. The guide fits snugly into the end of one of the tubes that are welded together at the buddy peg, and the peg's pin is replaced with a nut and bolt through the peg, mount, and the plate.

This design focuses the potential energy at the strongest point of that triangle, rather than simply clamping midway onto one of the tubes the way many others do.

It seems a well conceived design and I hope it proves itself in the long run.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote