Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #436
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Got it. I'm in the experimentation stage so as I said I'm open to suggestion. I can see the point with the bars being cranked up so high - comfy for me but with a loss of precision in steering. And lets face it, it's a Reflex. So it may be back to the drawing board and a re-thinking of this bar set-up. Thanks for the feedback!

The Reflex frame is exactly the same as the TLR, and can be improved enormously by a few simple modifications. The set up you have on your bike currently, will make it more comfortable to ride, but will mean that the already poor steering/handling is a good deal worse. If you are not wanting to compete, it doesnt matter, but if you do I would suggest removing those risers and modifying top yoke to take fat bars.
Twin-shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:05 PM   #437
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin-shocker View Post
The Reflex frame is exactly the same as the TLR, and can be improved enormously by a few simple modifications. The set up you have on your bike currently, will make it more comfortable to ride, but will mean that the already poor steering/handling is a good deal worse. If you are not wanting to compete, it doesnt matter, but if you do I would suggest removing those risers and modifying top yoke to take fat bars.
The risers do take fat bars, which is why I put them on. The whole setup was pirated off my other bike, a KLX250. I know you can get real analytical about this because I've been down this road before with bicycles and such. Like they say it's a game of inches (they do say that don't they?).

Stock bar rise ~ 4.25"
Stock bar sweep ~ 2.5 "

ATV bar (pictured) rise ~ 4.75"
ATV bar (pictured) sweep ~ 2.41"
ATV bar (pictured) width ~ 31.5"

Trial Bar rise ~ 4-5"
Trials Bar Sweep (Renthal 673-01) ~ 2" or less.
Trials Bar width ~ 32.3"

So my ATV bars have about a half inch more sweep and are 1" narrower than a typical trials bar. In my current situation I don't see that as a big stumbling block. I mean, I can't even ride over a stumbling block. And since I work weekends competition is probably out. But I do want to learn to ride tight stuff, etc.

And I'll probably be getting a real trials bar. 4" or 5" rise? Dunno.

The risers - hmm. With the pegs where they are the risers put me in a more natural feeling standing position - still hunched over but not as much. The pegs are slated to be lowered and when that happens I'll look at shorter risers maybe. Probably?

It all comes down to steering geometry and weight balance, doesn't it? I didn't notice the plowing when the bars were low, I do when they are up and forward. I'm going to rotate them back an inch or so and experiment - but now the front tire won't hold air. Fun with outright junk indeed!

The good news is the little sucker fires up on the first (or second) kick even when it's cold. Runs a little rich but I'm at 7000' so that's no surprise. I think it's jetted pretty well for Utah riding.

And I acknowledge my noobness in these matter. With humility.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:30 PM   #438
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Take that crazy looking snorkel mess off the top of the air box for more flow! A free mod is the best mod.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #439
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Rotated the riser back and the handlebars forward a bit. Better. I can see where a few degrees steeper head angle would improve the steering. Tuck that front wheel in a tad.

Edit: Snorkle removal's on the list. Probably help the richness. Gotta get a new front tire too. The current one looks like the OEM, and it's shot. Can a tire last 27 years?
Old 05-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #440
2bold2getold
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,560
Quote:
Rotated the riser back and the handlebars forward a bit. Better. I can see where a few degrees steeper head angle would improve the steering. Tuck that front wheel in a tad.

Edit: Snorkle removal's on the list. Probably help the richness. Gotta get a new front tire too. The current one looks like the OEM, and it's shot. Can a tire last 27 years?
Yep, mines still got the original tires on it. They're hard and slick, but they still look pretty good. Just about finished with my Transalp/Africa Twin, the Reflex is next.
2bold2getold is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 AM   #441
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

If you take the risers off entirely and refit standard bars, control and handling will be much better. Removing the intake silencer wont do anything much other than increase induction noise. Intake restriction on the TLR is caused primarily by the flame trap, which the foam filter element fits over. TLR with altered head angle, modern forks and good rear suspension handles and steers very well indeed, and is comparable to a modern bike in easier events. The stock set up is pretty poor though, and more suited to play bike or trail riding.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:00 AM   #442
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevgriff64 View Post
Nicely done.

We have a junior at our club thats only been riding for 10 or so months. He's knee high to a Grasshopper and makes a Sherco 125 look huge. None of us old farts can walk the lines he rides.
That is when it is so fun, to be in this sport, isn't it? I thought people were blowing smoke, when I was younger, now I know it is true. Watching the kids get onto this thing we enjoy, and watching them shake the monkeys from the trees, with the fruit even though eventually it will be on us as well...
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 AM   #443
lineaway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,428
Quote from Twinshocker. `Removing the intake silencer wont do anything much other than increase induction noise. `
You forget twinshocker, he is at 7000ft. and I know that it is a free improvement that only takes 5 minutes. This comes from the mods I did to my own reflex, riding at the same elevation.
lineaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #444
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer: 2,850
Quote:
Removing the intake silencer wont do anything much other than increase induction noise. Intake restriction on the TLR is caused primarily by the flame trap, which the foam filter element fits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
You forget twinshocker, he is at 7000ft. and I know that it is a free improvement that only takes 5 minutes. This comes from the mods I did to my own reflex, riding at the same elevation.

Very true. That mod, covered earlier in this thread, works very well here in the Wild, Wild West.
brewtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:53 PM   #445
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineaway View Post
Quote from Twinshocker. `Removing the intake silencer wont do anything much other than increase induction noise. `
It will make a difference at high altitude, but not as much as removing the flame trap, which will help much more.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM   #446
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
It will make a difference at high altitude, but not as much as removing the flame trap, which will help much more.
Why you insist on sticking your fat snout into this thread is a mystery to me. You do know you are free to start your own, don't you?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 PM   #447
UtahGuido
Beastly Adventurer

Easy guys. I haven't gotten to the airbox yet. The last few days have been spent getting my KLR back on the road after way too long. Runs great and feels good.

So, I decided to swap my front sprocket for a 10T. I ordered one from B&J, it showed up, I removed the sprocket cover expecting to find two bolts holding the sprocket on, and I see this:

Huh? What maner of wrench gets this thing off?

The question is sort of moot for now because if you look you'll see that this front sprocket is already a 10T. Oh. Je sui bonehead. Looks like I need a bigger back sprocket, or a 9T, in which case I'll eventually have to deal with this odd nut arrangement.

So what's up with this?
Old 05-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #448
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewtus View Post
Why you insist on sticking your fat snout into this thread is a mystery to me. You do know you are free to start your own, don't you?
Trying to help the OP with accurate advice...............from the pics of your own TLR it seems clear you cant offer much in the way of assistance.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #449
Twin-shocker
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Easy guys. I haven't gotten to the airbox yet. The last few days have been spent getting my KLR back on the road after way too long. Runs great and feels good.

So, I decided to swap my front sprocket for a 10T. I ordered one from B&J, it showed up, I removed the sprocket cover expecting to find two bolts holding the sprocket on, and I see this:

Huh? What maner of wrench gets this thing off?

The question is sort of moot for now because if you look you'll see that this front sprocket is already a 10T. Oh. Je sui bonehead. Looks like I need a bigger back sprocket, or a 9T, in which case I'll eventually have to deal with this odd nut arrangement.

So what's up with this?
The OE sprocket has been removed at some stage, and a smaller one fitted, which means the OE retainer no longer fits. To fit a smaller sprocket you need a spacer (still supplied by Honda) to take up the space of the OE retainer, and a circlip to take the place of the mangled mess holding your sprocket on currently. I would guess you should be able to get both items from Bob at B&J. For trials use, its worth looking at 9-44 but you may need to go larger on the rear, as you will be losing a fair amount of power if you are at 7000ft. Bob might also be able to help with a KN filter element to replace your stock flame trap/foam arrangement, which will be less restrictive and mean a little more power.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #450
brewtus OP
Buffoonery, Inc.

Quote:
Trying to help the OP with accurate advice...............from the pics of your own TLR it seems clear you cant offer much in the way of assistance.
I am the OP of this thread. It even says so right next to my username. Once again, the whole point of this thread was to assemble a Reflex out of a bunch of scrap parts, and have fun with it. It was never meant to be a build guide. If folks want to copy what I did, great. If not, that's cool too. If others want to share their stories about having Trials fun on an old user/abuser/scrapper refugee, then that is neat also. I am still having fun with my bike, even if its in semi-retirement (abandoned on the back porch). Insulting me or my bike is not making you any friends here, pard.

brewtus screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 06:35 AM Reason: Its early and I'm bored.