Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #16966
BryanCO
CO Rider

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
And I find it completely nuts if my motorcycle uses as much gas as my car.
Clearly you need to get a different car.
BryanCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:43 PM   #16967
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanCO View Post
Clearly you need to get a different car.
Advice is getting better and better ...
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #16968
PVRnick
Pennsy Flyer

Oddometer: 173
I have gotten 42MPG a few times, but you have to be in the Commute Mode !

Riding for fun........ 35 to 37 MPG, but it's worth it to hear and feel that Sweet Motor pullin' !
Just can't help myself.

Nick
'06 Wee Strom
'95 XR650L
PVRnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #16969
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I can honestly say I've never bought (or didn't buy) a bike based upon the mileage it returned.

However, it does provide a certain level of satisfaction when the fuel efficiency of a bike proves to be greater than expected.
+1

I know it's important to others but not to me - and I commute on mine.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #16970
Windy Rider
Pussy Power

Oddometer: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
I can honestly say I've never bought (or didn't buy) a bike based upon the mileage it returned.

However, it does provide a certain level of satisfaction when the fuel efficiency of a bike proves to be greater than expected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1

+2 I have never worked out the fuel mileage. I also commute on mine but I don't save any not taking the car mainly because I always take the long way homeand by the time I'm home all the stress from work is gone

I just Ride Fill up, ride and repeat

Blog: http://thetigerhunt.tumblr.com

http://tiger800xc.tumblr.com
Windy Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #16971
y0y02369
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
+1

I commute on mine as well, 40 miles one way, and i prefer the comfort and reliabily of the tiger than anything else. Saving gas isn't worth giving up my enjoying the commute... shitty commute everyday = shitty days everyday. My car gets 20 mpg so either way I win!

Heard Vespas get great mileage...

edit: Well said!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy Rider View Post
+2 I have never worked out the fuel mileage. I also commute on mine but I don't save any not taking the car mainly because I always take the long way homeand by the time I'm home all the stress from work is gone

I just Ride Fill up, ride and repeat
y0y02369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #16972
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,412
I'm rollin' with K60s, an LV pipe, Arrowmap, 15T front sprocket, and almost 100kgs.

I love this bike. I average 44mgg.

JG

live2ridetahoe screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 01:17 AM
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:55 AM   #16973
FuzzyDunlop
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 236
I think you will find that fuel economy will be affected quite a bit by the weight of the rider, hence the variation in MPG from rider to rider.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #16974
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,606
Quote:
Originally Posted by dljocky View Post
Sorry guys. For some reason, I was thinking they got high 30's to very low 40's. This may be a game changer. Thanks again for the info!
This is not a KTM.

I've kept records of mp(UK)g since I got mine and I've never dipped below 50. Always low to mid 50s. You know, 53~57ish. I have seen over 60 occasionally when taking it easy. I'll restate that's UK mpg, bigger gallon an' all.

blacktiger screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 03:34 AM
blacktiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:27 AM   #16975
Andylaser
Heavy Metal

Oddometer: 1,047
I average low 40's. But that is 90% urban commuting. Arrow tune probably doesnt help matters either. At least car drivers can hear be coming.

OLD SKOOL HEAVY METAL
Andylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #16976
Poweranger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 699
I seem to be getting the average with my roadie. 40-45 depending on how I ride it. LV exhaust but on the stock tune.
Poweranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #16977
eram310
Adventurer

Oddometer: 94
Arrow exhaust upgrade

All this talk about fuel consumption got me thinking. I plan on getting the arrow exhaust with the corresponding fuel map this summer. My objective is to get a nicer sound and lose a few lbs.
Currently I am averaging mid 40is MPG on a 2102 model that was fabricated in the end of 2011. (I don’t know what map it has, but I am happy with it. )
Spirited riding gets me into the low 40is , commuter mode, upper 40is.

The question is will fuel consumption degrade significantly with the arrow upgrade? Will the driveability be affected? Currently I am happy with throttle response, linearity and fuel consumption, I am concerned all of the above might degrade with an upgrade that’s going to cost me close to 1K.
eram310 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #16978
Dirtmonkey8
VA is for Riders

Oddometer: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
LOL. Now back to our regular programing.

Seriously, my Tiger gets about 45mpg. But it never even dawned on me to try to figure out what kind of gas mileage it could get before I bought it.

OP has a DR650. If he's planning a RTW trip he should just keep it. Cheap to run, easy to fix, no electronic gadgets to break in third world countries. If it breaks he could just leave it by the side of the road and fly home.
Just so you guys know, the OP, dljockey, is a friend of mine. I know him because we live near each other and we both have DR650's. He asks me about my range and fuel consumption on my 800XC all the time. I get 42-44 and never any more than that. I know I could do better, but where and how I choose to ride I am surprised it does that well. Dljockey's concern with mpg is a concern of range.He wants a bike like the Tiger that can do more highway than the DR and still allow him to explore FS roads. He does not want a bike that gets any less than 200 miles to the tank (200 plus reserve preferable). He knows of the Safari tank, but I also told him people are getting much different mpg than me. He wanted to know what you guys were getting. I didn't understand why he was making such an issue out of it either until I went on a daytrip with a 1200GSA and he rode all day without refueling and I had to refuel twice. Dljockey takes multiday trips with guys with various bikes all year round. I recently did a day trip with a group which included a DRZ400 with a stock tank. Tha little tank was pissing me off. It seemed like we spent our day working around his tank. That was just for a day. On a multiday his little tank would have had me dreaming of ways to sabotage his bike while he slept so I could ride for a couple of hours without stopping at yet another gas station. Long story short, don't use the word "dumb" in response to someone's question. You either are not thinking enough or you are thinking too much (in the wrong direction) When my family is older and can spare me for a few days or more I want to take some epic adventures on my Tiger. I will HAVE to buy a $700 Safari tank because the range on the Tiger is in adequate for a true adventure. Most of the gas stations in the mountain communities here in Virginia don't have pay at the pump and are closed Sundays. Greater Range= Less Stress. The nest time someone asks a question that seems dumb try asking more questions to better understand the question rather than saying the question is dumb. Really? He was looking for help from you, man. I know you were not actually trying to be rude, but this is not Facebook. And he does not plan to sell the DR when he buys another, larger, bike...

Old 05-08-2013, 10:57 AM   #16979
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtmonkey8 View Post
I get 42-44 and never any more than that. I know I could do better, but where and how I choose to ride I am surprised it does that well.
That is about what I get. Probably closer to 42.
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:02 AM   #16980
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 4,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by eram310 View Post
All this talk about fuel consumption got me thinking. I plan on getting the arrow exhaust with the corresponding fuel map this summer. My objective is to get a nicer sound and lose a few lbs.
Currently I am averaging mid 40is MPG on a 2102 model that was fabricated in the end of 2011. (I don’t know what map it has, but I am happy with it. )
Spirited riding gets me into the low 40is , commuter mode, upper 40is.

The question is will fuel consumption degrade significantly with the arrow upgrade? Will the driveability be affected? Currently I am happy with throttle response, linearity and fuel consumption, I am concerned all of the above might degrade with an upgrade that’s going to cost me close to 1K.
The general consensus is that the arrow map will reduce your mpg by maybe ~20% (someone can correct me if they think my numbers are way off). Several people seem to be succesful in running various aftermarket exhausts (i.e. Leo Vince) with the standard map and that seems to not reduce mpg. I may go this route.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote