Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #16
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 668
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza950 View Post
just fitted the facet pump and then discovered that the redundant 4 breather tubes have 7mm connectors into the tank.No one sells 7mm!
Eventually found that Vespa scooters use this size and ebay (UK) threw up a supplier.
uniscootuk

So if you want to buy all the parts before you start - get 4 x 7mm x 10mm long bolts to seal in!
I have a small issue with the facet filter being too long so might have to remote it, as it touches the bash plate.Unless you know of an answer!

I wouldn't call those hoses redundant. 2 of them are breather hoses for the fuel tanks, and if plugged could cause fuel delivery issues. The lower 2 are drains for any fuel spillage in the fuel caps, and not really necessary.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #17
bdefen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Thumb I had a similar issue with skid plate clearance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
These pumps require very fine filters...any crap in the fuel will cause them to seize. I used the one recommended by Facet...

The only problem I have had is that the leading edge of my pump touches the OE skidplate when everything is bolted together. Not a big deal, just not exactly ideal...

I also used a Unicoil to protect the inlet hose where it is bent the sharpest...
I did the 40171 upgrade 15,000 miles ago....no problems whatsover, but one corner of the pump would just touch the stock skid plate, so I padded the area with some closed cell foam, glued in place.

As a PM, I replaced the pump last night with a new 40171 and Facet filter, and found that if I rotated the new pump 180 degrees, the offset of the inlet/outlet increased the clearance from the stock skid plate by almost 1/4", so no touching. I left the foam in place on the skid pan.

I did the original install three years ago exactly as described above, curving the inlet hose with a coil spring enclosing the curve. I replaced the stock electrical connections using those two-wire trailer connectors (SAE?) for the hookup. Also, an electrical tape wrap around the pump wiring covered with a couple layers of shrink-tubing armor. A few zip ties to secure everything, and I'm done. While I was in there, I replaced all the fuel hoses including the tank balance hose.

After it dries out, I'll cap the inlet/outlet of the old Facet pump (which was still working fine) and carry it as a spare.

Good advice on avoiding those glass filters. Just R&R the metal Facet filter during your annual maintenance. Cheap insurance.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza950 View Post
just fitted the facet pump and then discovered that the redundant 4 breather tubes have 7mm connectors into the tank.No one sells 7mm!
Eventually found that Vespa scooters use this size and ebay (UK) threw up a supplier.
uniscootuk

So if you want to buy all the parts before you start - get 4 x 7mm x 10mm long bolts to seal in!
I have a small issue with the facet filter being too long so might have to remote it, as it touches the bash plate.Unless you know of an answer!
Which 4 breather tubes are redundant?

You don't need an extra filter. The one in the main fuel tap in the l/h fuel tank does a perfectly good job.
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:12 PM   #19
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,088
Here's mine:

I have one elevator bolt through the bottom of the battery box and a zip tie through the original pump mount. It did clear the stock skip plate, but that's now replaced with a Weld86 bash plate. Way more space now, so no problems.
Orangecicle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #20
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,721
950 fuel pumps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kizniche View Post
I believe the loop the inlet fuel line is making is prominent to pinching. These rubber hoses may operate pefectly when cold, but after some time in the hot environment close to the engine, they could soften and seize. I ran the Orangecicle setup with metal elbows. When my Facet died, after 40k kms I replaced it with a used original, with DrBean's electronic circuit.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:19 PM   #21
gefr
Life is a trip

Oddometer: 3,721
The Facet is more sensitive in solid particles than OEM fuel pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRupert View Post
Which 4 breather tubes are redundant?

You don't need an extra filter. The one in the main fuel tap in the l/h fuel tank does a perfectly good job.
The Facet fp operates through a piston oscilating in a cylinder. Solid particles can seize the piston from moving and destroy the fp. That is why a filter is recommended by the fp manufacturer.
Cheers.
gefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #22
RedRupert
Brit in the Soviet Union

Oddometer: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr View Post
The Facet fp operates through a piston oscilating in a cylinder. Solid particles can seize the piston from moving and destroy the fp. That is why a filter is recommended by the fp manufacturer.
Cheers.
Facet's recommendation is a general recommendation. It does not relate specifically to the 950 Adventure. The OE filter in the fuel tap is fine enough to protect the Facet pump, so there is no need to add another.

Facet recommend a 74 micron (0.074 mm) filter. The OE KTM filters in the main fuel tap, and in the two isolator taps, are the same (70 microns +/-).
Yamaha RD 350 LC (1984)

RedRupert screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 09:40 AM
RedRupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #23
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Just fitted my 3rd Facet!
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:17 AM   #24
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 861
I'm on my 2nt Facet
Sporting Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 AM   #25
StmbtDave
AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer: 2,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedtours View Post
Just fitted my 3rd Facet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporting Wood View Post
I'm on my 2nt Facet
I figure the Facet is an expendable item. Just because they're used in airplanes doesn't mean they last forever. I carry a spare under the seat and it's an easy trail-side swap. They're a lot cheaper than the stock pump.

Dave
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 AM   #26
bazza950
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
I wouldn't call those hoses redundant. 2 of them are breather hoses for the fuel tanks, and if plugged could cause fuel delivery issues. The lower 2 are drains for any fuel spillage in the fuel caps, and not really necessary.
thanks Ronski .i plugged the lower 2 but left the top venting-and did the flapectomy.My fuelling seems all over the place - bike has always started without a problem but not now! i wonder if the carbs getting overfed from the pump -any way of telling?
bazza950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 AM   #27
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 903
My first Facet 40171 lasted couple of years or over 50000km. I always travelled with a spare wired up with plug and filter ready to go. It cam handy the night before a rally just couple of weeks ago.

It died because (I believe) the filter was clogged. I use the recommended steel filter. You can't see anything inside. When I blow on one side and it was much more difficult than a new one.

I don't want to use another steel filter. I can't see if its dirty or clogged unless I take it out.

I use a plastic filter now. But I am worried it gets damaged or just not be good enough.
http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/pages/e...fuelfilter.php

Other than glass filters and recommended steel filter, I wonder what other inmates are using?
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM   #28
rossphoto
GDTRFB

Oddometer: 589
hoses and flow

Any chance anyone will draw a very simple diagram of the direction of flow and EXACTLY how and where the hoses go looking at the pump straight on as it is connected to the bottom of battery box? I'm having all kinds of issues since connecting my facet and I am seeing different set ups here on this thread. I am pretty sure I have it right because the bike does start and run. I'm guessing it wouldn't if the fuel flow wasn't proper. However, I am pouring gas from the carb I think. I have the carb out now to clean it I think a float is stuck but I'd really like to be sure...

Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #29
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossphoto View Post
Any chance anyone will draw a very simple diagram of the direction of flow and EXACTLY how and where the hoses go looking at the pump straight on as it is connected to the bottom of battery box? I'm having all kinds of issues since connecting my facet and I am seeing different set ups here on this thread. I am pretty sure I have it right because the bike does start and run. I'm guessing it wouldn't if the fuel flow wasn't proper. However, I am pouring gas from the carb I think. I have the carb out now to clean it I think a float is stuck but I'd really like to be sure...

Thanks
From the shut off valve on the left tank to the filter, to the pump and to the carbs. That's it. You must have installed the pump in the correct direction since the bike is running! There is big arrow on it.

Not sure where the leak is but you might need two of these for the leak:
http://www.advmachines.com/product_p...oat-needle.htm
Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 AM   #30
rossphoto
GDTRFB

Oddometer: 589
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Here's mine:

I have one elevator bolt through the bottom of the battery box and a zip tie through the original pump mount. It did clear the stock skip plate, but that's now replaced with a Weld86 bash plate. Way more space now, so no problems.
In this pic I see that the line from the left tank is going into the fuel pump, fuel is flowing through the pump out the other side of the pump through the filter and up to the carbs. Correct? Where is the line from the right tank going in this pic?