Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #16
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,842
I've done the Eastern TAT twice (Both the old Jellico start and the new 2012+ Tellico route). The first time, an inmate sent me tracks after I showed him proof of purchase, but I didn't spend a lot of time verifying his tracks and found areas they were wrong out on the route. The 2nd time, I spent time creating my own routes & tracks which was much better. For one I had that knowledge in my head and recognized areas that I knew would be tricky when I made the routes/tracks. Its definitely worth your time to map it out yourself.

I haven't seen this mentioned, but you really don't have to sit there and enter in every single waypoint from Sam's maps. I tried doing that and it would take forever and not necessary at all. In fact, it much easier to just sit there on your computer with a route tool and the map/roll charts from Sam and using his map as a guide, just draw/create a "calculated" route on your GPS mapping software. This should work fine in the Eastern US as I think most every road is on the GPS. Then use a program like GBSBable to convert your route to tracks and bingo, you have a full track log to follow with very little effort. This should take you less than week only spending a couple hours an evening.

You could do it "drawing" tracks, but that is much more tedious then using the calculated route tool. If you do find a road that doesn't exist, just use a "direct" route in that section.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:07 AM   #17
ETD OP
Enjoy!

Oddometer: 29
Thanks for all the great info everyone. I am planning to buy the maps and the roll charts as well. I like the idea of ridding across the country without the use of GPS for primary navigation. That said I think I will need to map our route into the GPS so that I can use it as back up as well as a good way to learn the route before hand.

Also:
Im still looking for info on Dual Sport rides around Durango and southwest CO? I have ridden a few days out there before so I know there is alot to offer, I'm just wondering if anyone has any local knowledge on "must do" routes?

Thanks for all the advice! keep it coming!
ETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #18
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
In a couple of limited attempts I have not found much DS riding around Durango. We have tried use it as a connector in getting to better stuff further north and east.

North you will run into the jeep roads around Ouray. You will be going thru there on the TAT. To the south you are screwed by the Ute Indian reservation.

There is some excellent riding out of Pagossa Springs, South Fork and Del Norte to the east, really nice forest roads that seem to go forever both north and south of 160..

I have been trying to go over Bolam Pass just north and west of Durango, but have not hit the right time of year. It looks like there might be some nice roads in the mountains west of town, but I have not tried them. Plus there are a lot of dead ends. I have heard of good dirt bike riding north of Mancos.
wbbnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #19
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,326
Durango

Most of the good stuff is up in the mountains north of here.
I think the TAT hits Ophir and Cinnamon and Last Dollar.
There is also Engineer Pass between Silverton and Lake City.
Imogene between Telluride and Ouray.
Lots of good day loops like this....hwy 160 west to Cherry Creek FS, hit the railroad grade and continue west. Then onto highway 160 to Mancos, 184 to Dolores, then onto the FS roads towards Dunton, cross Hwy 145 and up over Bolam Pass back to DMR(ski area north of Durango on 550).
Or 550 north to Ophir Pass, then Last Dollar, down to Sawpit on 145 up towards Woods Lake and Beaver Park and down to Dunton, cross Hwy 145 and up over Bolam Pass back to DMR.
There are three routes up from the Hwy 145 side to DMR side on 550. The southernmost is Roaring Fork and is the easiest. Just south of Rico is Scotch Creek, which is the most difficult. North between Rico and Lizard Head is Barlow Creek CG and the start of Bollam Pass. They all go through the creek on the DMR side.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:32 PM   #20
ETD OP
Enjoy!

Oddometer: 29
Thanks for the info guys.
I think last time I was out visiting my brother we rode Bolam Pass. It was a great ride. I guess we will have to go explore around Silverton. I have heard that the ridding up there is fantastic.

Thanks!
ETD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #21
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Lots of good day loops like this....hwy 160 west to Cherry Creek FS, hit the railroad grade and continue west. Then onto highway 160 to Mancos, 184 to Dolores, then onto the FS roads towards Dunton, cross Hwy 145 and up over Bolam Pass back to DMR(ski area north of Durango on 550).

Good info. Where and what kind of road is this railroad grade off of Cherry Creek rd? We go thru there a couple of times a year getting from Albuquerque to the good stuff in CO and Utah.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbbnm View Post
Good info. Where and what kind of road is this railroad grade off of Cherry Creek rd? We go thru there a couple of times a year getting from Albuquerque to the good stuff in CO and Utah.
Cherry Creek Road is north of 160 at approximately 37-19-41 Lat/108-07-08 Long. The Railroad grade is about a mile above the highway and heads west to the La Plata/Montezuma County Line or FS Road 316.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
wbbnm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Cherry Creek Road is north of 160 at approximately 37-19-41 Lat/108-07-08 Long. The Railroad grade is about a mile above the highway and heads west to the La Plata/Montezuma County Line or FS Road 316.
Thanks for that info. I always think of Cherry Creek road as being south of 160 heading towards Farmington. But I have seen a sign for the part heading north off of 160.

We are going thru there in a couple of weeks. I suppose there is no chance Bolam Pass would be open by then?
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #24
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

The Cherry Creek Road to the south of 160 is a county road that heads south toward NM. You are in rez about 2 miles south of the highway.
The road to the north of 160 is marked with a brown FS sign. Tough to see coming either direction.