User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
r'elise me OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
July 7-20/2013 Southwest or Mexico Ride

Looking for a few inmates to join us on an adv ride. Dates are July 10-20 (Date updated). The tour will start in Los Angeles. We'll ride south on slab to the Baja MX border and basically follow the Pacific Crest Trail north to Lake HUme in the Sierra Nevadas. Leading the ride is the awesomely skillful and cool instructor, Laine MacTague of Earthrider on his BMW. This is a noob and big bike friendly route with camping every night and breakfasts and dinners at restaurants. It promises to be very scenic, very instructional. It'll be a great intro to long distance adventure rides for anyone with decent novice to intermediate skills. I've hired Laine to guide since I certainly don't know where the appropriate routes are or how to properly tour offroad. It'll be a great way to kick off my adventure riding future. Anyone who would like to join us should let me know asap. All riders will be expected to split the costs equitably. Laine is charging a very reasonable $2500 in total and if I end up paying it all myself, that's a small price to pay for everything I'll get out of it (and everything I hope I don't get out of it.)

12 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had

r'elise me screwed with this post 06-30-2013 at 03:33 PM Reason: New ideas
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #2
r'elise me OP
Gnarly Adventurer

bump

Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 PM   #3
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,630
I can't go, but it sounds like fun.

There isn't much on the California coast that isn't paved (where you can ride anyway). Neither of your bikes would be much fun on Pismo Beach.

How often do you get that much time off? If it were me, I would go for the long trip. Even if you took it easy and did only 350 miles per day, you would still have over a week in CO. I'd take the 690, and enjoy the Rockys.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
The deserts at that time of the year are around 120. I live here and it sucks riding then and I'm conditioned to it. I can't tell you how to get ready for it.
tjt94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt94 View Post
The deserts at that time of the year are around 120. I live here and it sucks riding then and I'm conditioned to it. I can't tell you how to get ready for it.
I can.

Last year, I had to do a week long drilling project near Blythe, CA in August. It was typically around 117 on the job site. For about 3 weeks prior to the trip, I ran the heater in my vehicles, even though temp at town were 105 to 110. That made all the difference. Once on the job site, I kept 5 gallons of water on hand just for wetting thin long sleeve shirt down. It was dry in 10 minutes.

If you wear a wet sweatshirt under a mesh riding jacket, it will be fine. You will want to keep your shield closed to prevent wind burn.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #6
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I can.

Last year, I had to do a week long drilling project near Blythe, CA in August. It was typically around 117 on the job site. For about 3 weeks prior to the trip, I ran the heater in my vehicles, even though temp at town were 105 to 110. That made all the difference. Once on the job site, I kept 5 gallons of water on hand just for wetting thin long sleeve shirt down. It was dry in 10 minutes.

If you wear a wet sweatshirt under a mesh riding jacket, it will be fine. You will want to keep your shield closed to prevent wind burn.
Blythe is such a nice place anytime of the year!
tjt94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjt94 View Post
Blythe is such a nice place anytime of the year!
It has two redeeming qualities: A liquor store with a great selection of beer, and the Colorado River to fish in.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
Looking for a few inmates to join me on a 2 week offroad tour. Dates are solid, but I haven't mapped out the tour yet. I have some ideas:

Colorado Backcountry Discovery Route - COBDR -seems ideal weatherwise, but 700mi to starting point from LA.
San Juanico, Baja MX to surf a few days
Eastern Sierras/Owens Valley
Utah/AZ scenic deserts (too hot?)
CA Coastal Range (nice and cool!) - need trail ideas because I don't want to be on pavement much

Thinking it would be fun to go light with the 690E, but the GS is an option if we're going longer distances. I thought if we did it with lighter bikes we could string some awesome day rides/loops together and enjoy some technical terrain without bags. I'm open to anything except not going!
Leaving from L.A., I'd head North. There are a few dirt routes near the coast but not many. Once up near San Fran, head EAST over the Sierra and cover a few passes, maybe do some National forest routes. You could spend two weeks alone riding the Sierra off road. Lots to explore.

Once over the Sierra, hook up with either Highway 50 .. or 80. Skip most of Nevada, AZ and Utah ... too HOT. Take a Northerly route to CO and do your COBDR. If out of time after that ... blast home on interstate.
Drink Water!

Baja is out for this one but you could link up most everything else on your list. I would save Utah and AZ for late Fall or Spring. CO is perfect in Summer.

Baja's Scorpion Bay will likely be FLAT (surf wise) in July ... come back in Hurricane season (November/December) Once on the beach in July you'd be OK but getting there and back would be a cooker.

Let me know how your KTM 690E does. I've done essentially the same route I outlined above ... twice on my DR650, but have not done the CO discovery route ... but did explore a bit of Nevada and Utah off road.
But I took a month as I hung at a rally in Silverton, CO a few days.

Dirt roads in and around Big Sur

More Central Coast dirt routes

one of five Sierra passes to chose, dirt routes abound.

If not too hot you could work your way North through the Black Rock Desert ... just don't tell anyone about this place.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:31 PM   #9
r'elise me OP
Gnarly Adventurer

my buddies are pushing me to come surf in San Juanico in Baja near Loredo. They say the surf is longboard heaven in July - like 2 minute rides. Hard to say no to that. Do you think if I went down there on dirt it would be bearable? Even worse, would you recommend doing it alone if I have a sat phone and rescue membership? Does anyone have a gpx of a good route for a bigger bike with gear?

PS - I still don't feel good on deep sand especially with the GS. On the 690 sand's fine as long as it's not too deep and silty. I'd just hate to stuck out there alone.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #10
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
my buddies are pushing me to come surf in San Juanico in Baja near Loredo. They say the surf is longboard heaven in July - like 2 minute rides. Hard to say no to that. Do you think if I went down there on dirt it would be bearable? Even worse, would you recommend doing it alone if I have a sat phone and rescue membership? Does anyone have a gpx of a good route for a bigger bike with gear?

PS - I still don't feel good on deep sand especially with the GS. On the 690 sand's fine as long as it's not too deep and silty. I'd just hate to stuck out there alone.
You can do it alone. I've done it twice. There is traffic and the dirt section is only about 10 - 12 miles.
Yes, I guess there can be Surf at Scorpion Bay in July if you get some storm activity. Rides are LONG with its breaking. I've never seen it over 2 ft. there. But a nice small wave that goes forever.

Several ways to get there. I like the route South of Mulege'. A dirt road that heads WEST out to La Purisma. From there it drops down, light sand, then paved to San Juanico (Scorpion Bay). Not too hard, even on a GS.

Ride South on highway to Mulege', go about another 5 to 10 miles South, look for dirt road on your right. It may be signed, not sure. GO WEST.

You can also get there from San Ignacio and from Loreto, both those routes are more technical as I recall. The GS is always a challenge off road but the route I mentioned is doable by any rider with a modicum of off basic off road skills.

This is the route, not too bad. Some uphill and mild downhill. Not bad.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
r'elise me OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Pacific Crest Quest route looks fun too!

Thanks for the tip ADV Grifter. I was really hoping for more dirt than pavement, especially if I'm on the 690. Any tips for making that happen? I've seen a bunch of maps, but haven't really dug in yet. Need to decide on the destination first I suppose.

I'm now considering the PCQ trail after reading that RR:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111885

It runs N/S parralleling the PCT through the western sierras. RR looks great with only a little challenging terrain. I expect it'll be much cooler than Baja given the elevation profile (although the low altitude heat will be had for sure). Anyone interested in that route, same dates July 7-21 from LA - Tahoe - LA?

Old 07-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
r'elise me OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just updated the OP with solid dates and ride plan.