Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
TaraRe OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Red River Gorge to Stone Mountain State Park onthe Blueridge Pkwy

Good evening!
My husband and I are planning a trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway in a couple of weeks. We''l be stopping in Natural Bridge State Park and heading to the Blueridge Parkway. Some of the roads I'm looking at are K15S, US119, US23S, US19S, etc.. (link to google maps route) http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Na...ra=ltm&t=m&z=8
Does anyone have any suggestions/comments/a better way avoiding highways? We are also concerned about where we might be able to stop for gas.
Thanks in advance for any help!

TaraRe screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 07:54 AM
TaraRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #2
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,007
Detour east to the begining of Va. 16 . !6 is about as nice a piece of twisty as can be found. Watch for gravel in the center.
bk brkr baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
That's a nice route, plenty of places to get gas. Great riding in the region. You're riding "main" roads so gas available everywhere. Lots of good riding in the Stone Mountain area, plenty to explore. Most of the wineries are off the back roads so if you visit a few you'll see some pretty countryside.

The BRP is a nice road but busy. Consider side trips thru some of the small towns in NC & VA (Sparta, State Road, Lowgap, Fries, Ivanhoe, Foster Falls, Clyde). Any time you can find a route along the New River you'll have some fun riding. Hwy 16 is a very good ride for a long ways. Finding places on the Crooked Road Music Trail will get you off the beaten path and into the countryside. Camping available all over he place.nStone Mtn popular, look at Grayson Highlands?
Enjoy.
4PawsHacienda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,654
From Natural Bridge(where I live) take the Mountain Parkway to its terminus and then US 23 S to the Elkhorn City turn off. Ride to Breaks Interstate Pk. From there go to : www.visitvirginiamountains.com and look up the MC roads info. as mentioned above with the RT16 idea. Some of the best riding & scenery in the USA is shown there. I go over to that area to ride with friends & one of them provided those routes for the website to use. WV has some nice roads too. Enjoy.
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
forxlr8n
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
If you have the time leave the parkway in Roanoke,Va and take 311 north, turn left at the swinging bridge resturant, another left at 460. This will bring you out in Christiansburg I81 three miles to exit 115 go north on Rt 8 to Floyd. The parkway is about 15 miles from there but go pass it. This will put you going down Tuggles gap. You'll know when the fun is over turn around go back to the parkway.
forxlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:11 PM   #6
4PawsHacienda
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
If you do go down Tuggles gap pick up VA 691 and take it to VA 620, follow 620 back up to the BRP or continue through Lambsburg and Pipers Gap for some good riding - that's my everyday "ride around the block". It's a gooder.
4PawsHacienda is online now   Reply With Quote