ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 05:42 PM   #61
BigNastybrp
Big Nasty

Oddometer: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Mine have been working great since 05. have almost 30,000 miles on the bags. definitly have 30k on the bike. had a few good spills and there still holding up. until I was rearended 2 weeks ago. only thing that broke was the latches that hold them onto the bike. When I was hit they immediatly broke and the bags flew, like they were supposed to. It freaked the girl out cuz she thought those were my limbs.. Gonna order new latches and rivet them in and run em another 30+k. And still using the water storage function. love it.
How do you fill the water jacket?
BigNastybrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:26 PM   #62
ciedema
мотоциклист

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandman818 View Post
Mine have been working great since 05. have almost 30,000 miles on the bags. definitly have 30k on the bike. had a few good spills and there still holding up. until I was rearended 2 weeks ago. only thing that broke was the latches that hold them onto the bike. When I was hit they immediatly broke and the bags flew, like they were supposed to. It freaked the girl out cuz she thought those were my limbs.. Gonna order new latches and rivet them in and run em another 30+k. And still using the water storage function. love it.
Like I said, I don't think the Gobi's are bad bags, just that the Jeese's are better, much better. The water jacket is just a gimmick if you ask me, pain in arse to fill, pain in the arse to empty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR650L_Dave View Post
The only guaranteed route to failure is the attempted solution of problems through the application of ideology.
ciedema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #63
MrSandman818
INaVANdownBYtheRIVER

Oddometer: 814
When you open the side Gobi. you will see two circular rubber plugs. pull both of them, one to fill and the other to vent and speed up filling. This will only really work if you buy the fuel petcocks and mount them to the front of the bags. The o-ring that comes with it is trash, get a thicker o-ring to seal it. Yes it is a pain in the ass if you in a hurry. but if you want to have an extra 2 liters of water or jameson per bag and dont have much space then this is the trick.

And I do like the Gobi's a lot. The aluminum panniers look nice and all but Im not comfortable with those with actuall off roading. the gobis may crease a little and have some skuff marks but still work great and are able to open and close at the end of the day. plus mine came with the bike. And if you do plan on wheeling with panniers carry two ratchet straps that are about 1" 1 1/2" thick. So if the latch breaks those will hold em on. or you can strap broken parts to your bike, or tow your buddy if need be, or to throw in a truck or trailer if you break down. Ive needed ratchet straps for all of those scenarios.
1978 Batavus 48
MrSandman818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #64
KTMADV
Hammer Down

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf14 View Post
Cesar, you need to add highway pegs and cruse control. Then you can nap when you ride. Your bike will be a KTM couch.
Chris if you stop by my house on your trip I will let you use my couch.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 AM   #65
chrisf14 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
I don't understand!

Two people on this topic have said that the bags are suppose to break off with hard impact.

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND!

Thats like saying my front rim is suppose to crush on a hard impact.

If the competition of these bags advertise that you can pick up a car with there bags. And no other companies have there bags fall off. Then that is a stupid design for an adventure bike.

I don't think the real adventure guy traveling thru Africa or South America has room to bring extra straps for when there boxes fall off.

Then after they break off you don't have a lock. How many boarder crossing until the bag is stolen?

Your riding thru Ethiopia your bag breaks off. No worries you have been carring 2 straps for the 3 years waiting for this day . You will just order a new latch. Your computer is in that bag so you must lock it. You wait 5 weeks for my new lack to get thru custom then to get to the village I'm in. It's ok you have nothing but time. hmmm, now I need a drill and a drill bit. SHIT they forgot to send me new rivets. Does this make any sense to anyone?

Africa-South Africa, Lesotho, Swaziland.
chrisf14 is offline   Reply With Quote