Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 518 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #28501
JRose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by RxZ View Post
Honest question... How is that different from heart rate?

Although, I suppose you could shift up a few gears and really mash. That would increase the power you put down, but with fewer revolutions at the crank. Is that more what the power meters are measuring?
Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling it as a neccassity, but coming from training with HR and going to PM, I prefer the PM

For instance with my tri bike, my HR actually goes up when I come up out of aero, while my power goes down. Weird, and I don't know why..

Also, I find it better for pacing myself during a triathlons. during my last race (70.3 tri) my HR was jacked for the first :45 of the bike. I stuck to my plan, and the target power I was supposed to keep, but my HR was still bouncing between 155-160. After about :45 I settled in, and my HR came down to the 130's where it was supposed to be. If using HR, I would've been bagging it for almost an hour. I don't know if it was the fact that I was really hyped up about this race, or if I overdid it in the swim that caused that, but it was weird.

Also, my HR does funny crap in the cold temps.
JRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:46 AM   #28502
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,795
Quote:
This bugs me as well. For instance, last night I got out for a ride and actually had my fastest time ever on the local trail My Garmin measured every inch of the trail (as accurate as GPS can be anyway) and like you said my total distance was the exact same as it always is. However, Strava only gave me credit for one out of four sections and did not register that I rode the entire trail. The section it gave me credit for, it only used my elapsed time for about half of the segment So, I shot up the leader-board thingy, but its all a rouse. That said, my total time was faster than ever, and this was without many workouts lately due to a multitude of reasons, so I am happy.
There's a local rider whose objective seems to be to take every KOM on his favorite local trail. The problem is that the individual records at the top of the leader board are so close that any error in your GPS data can artificially move you several places up or down. He understands this, and will bitch and moan endlessly when he thinks that Strava has 'cheated' him out of a KOM, but he refuses to concede that this type of error works both ways: he may in fact have been going faster than Strava says he was on one ride, but it's just as likely that he was going slower than Strava said he was on other rides. And if that's the case, then it's questionable whether ANY of his KOM's are valid.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #28503
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 32,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
There's a local rider whose objective seems to be to take every KOM on his favorite local trail. The problem is that the individual records at the top of the leader board are so close that any error in your GPS data can artificially move you several places up or down. He understands this, and will bitch and moan endlessly when he thinks that Strava has 'cheated' him out of a KOM, but he refuses to concede that this type of error works both ways: he may in fact have been going faster than Strava says he was on one ride, but it's just as likely that he was going slower than Strava said he was on other rides. And if that's the case, then it's questionable whether ANY of his KOM's are valid.
You just made a great case for a real race!
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #28504
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
So last nite's Wed World's got t-stormed out.

Nice ALL day till about time to get ready to go riding, then this big line of t-storms moves through.

Oh well.

I'm not skeered of riding in the rain, but I don't particularly like riding in t-storms.

M
Old 05-09-2013, 05:07 AM   #28505
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
Give it up, dude. The number of random variables that determine the outcome of a 'real race' are orders of magnitude greater than a possible GPS error of one or two seconds.
Dizave opined: Why do you care where the premises come from? They are above reproach. For all intents and purposes, you can just make up all your premises, since they can't be proven anyway. That's why we need premises.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:19 AM   #28506
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,977
I was a hard core roadie and racer for years. Now I'm on this and loving it!

Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:27 AM   #28507
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,492
Anyone seen/heard/ridden the new Enduro 29er? I'm intrigued... All mtn suspension (6"), 29" wheels, XL frame. I'm a big bastard... and though I'm used to riding small bikes, I've always wondered what a properly-fitting bike would feel like. Chainstays are super short which I like, low BB, had great luck with the same fox suspension on my Reign... I'm guessing the rear shock spec'ed is fancy pants Specialized talk for an RP23? Questions would be if A. The wheels are strong enough for me and B. If a triple crown fork could be used for some moderate lift served DH.

BTW - given up on the cross/road bikes.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...-comp-29#specs
Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 AM   #28508
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap View Post
You're wasting your breath....he doesn't want to race, just brag about times.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:54 AM   #28509
Aurelius
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
You're wasting your breath....he doesn't want to race, just brag about times.
Wasn't that your little todger flapping in the breeze yesterday?
Old 05-09-2013, 06:27 AM   #28510
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7 View Post
Check this link....

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2012/01...wer-meter.html

This section really applied to my worst day on the brevet...it's exactly how I conserved energy and finished that day:
Using a power meter in a long steady-state race such as a triathlon or long time trial is almost like cheating. When everyone else is fighting a head wind, excitedly going too fast down wind or guessing how hard to push when going up hill, the athlete with a power meter is just rolling along at the prescribed power. He or she will produce the fastest possible ride given the conditions so long as the optimal target power has been determined through training and observed closely during the race. While something similar can be done with heart rate there are some confounding factors such as the excitement of a race, cardiac drift, the acute effect of diet and the slow response of pulse on hills, accelerating out of corners or when passing others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRose View Post
Don't get me wrong, I'm not selling it as a neccassity, but coming from training with HR and going to PM, I prefer the PM

For instance with my tri bike, my HR actually goes up when I come up out of aero, while my power goes down. Weird, and I don't know why..

Also, I find it better for pacing myself during a triathlons. during my last race (70.3 tri) my HR was jacked for the first :45 of the bike. I stuck to my plan, and the target power I was supposed to keep, but my HR was still bouncing between 155-160. After about :45 I settled in, and my HR came down to the 130's where it was supposed to be. If using HR, I would've been bagging it for almost an hour. I don't know if it was the fact that I was really hyped up about this race, or if I overdid it in the swim that caused that, but it was weird.

Also, my HR does funny crap in the cold temps.
Thanks guys. I get it now, but still won't be buying one

Mainly because I do not race, just ride for fun and exercise. Also because of cost.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #28511
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,831
Rescued my first turtle today.

2/3rds of the way thru the 2hr loop with 3 x 5 @ 10sec CP Jumps in there. Ugh are my legs tired.

M
Old 05-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #28512
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
Wasn't that your little todger flapping in the breeze yesterday?
Nope. Never posted anything to Strava. Feel free to keep on digging.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple

Mercury264 screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 04:11 PM
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #28513
Rajin Cajun
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 581
Well I competed in my first ever TT this past Tuesday evening. I came in last out of 26 riders but, it was only my 3rd time out on the new whip and I was riding with some real animals! They were really great and I had an absolute blast! I have ridden the same route over the last few days trying to better my time but the winds have not been my friend. I have to say that the bug has definitely bitten me!
Rajin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #28514
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,884
What I did last Sunday. Epic, but nothing compared to the 107/12K day coming this Saturday.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:29 PM   #28515
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 69,884
Quote:
Thanks guys. I get it now, but still won't be buying one

Mainly because I do not race, just ride for fun and exercise. Also because of cost.
I'm an endurance rider and it helps me manage effort over long distances so I can get home. If I keep my HR out of zone 5, I can ride with far less fatigue.

YMMV, but if you're maxing your HR, you're wasting your time out there.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: