Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 99 votes, 4.82 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #2686
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNF View Post
Amazing build Geek. Waiting for the 4x4 to hit Canada.

Question, I might have missed it but do you have a spot for a shore line plug in so you don't have to use batteries?
Not yet.
It is not a priority. We rarely stay at campgrounds or anywhere we'd want to plug in - and the batteries are always full thanks to the Sterling and the amount I drive.

Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #2687
DirtySantana
Chopper

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
It looks great!

This just arrived....

Are you installing it this weekend? If so can I come over an take a look at the quality of the awning. I heard mixed reviews and have not been able to see one in person to make my own assessment.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:41 AM   #2688
Holaday
Man of Leisure

Oddometer: 564
Looks like a busy weekend

Awning and Windows. That will keep you busy for a while.

Soon as your born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time!!!

Checkout my Ride Reports:

Baja

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=405461

Kootenays

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=614464
Holaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #2689
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySantana View Post

Are you installing it this weekend? If so can I come over an take a look at the quality of the awning. I heard mixed reviews and have not been able to see one in person to make my own assessment.
Nope. You are going to have to go by the pictures online and gamble your money like I did

j/k

I'm not sure when I'm going to get time to install it... I'm overloaded with projects at the moment and van building time is currently somewhat random.

I'll give you a shout when I know. I still have your cell number unless it has changed
Old 05-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #2690
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I unboxed the awning this morning between meetings:

This is the $165 Sprinter (no roof rack) mounting kit:

...and here are some pics of the awning

I haven't gotten to see what the actual "Sahara" color looks like yet due to this sticker
Old 05-08-2013, 03:15 PM   #2691
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I also made some progress on the overhead cabinet that invades the door.

I'll go snap some pics when the thunder and lightening calms down.
My poor iPhone's lense is so scratched up these days that it's photos are horrible.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #2692
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Still a long ways to go.. but you can see where it is headed with this rough-in.

I've determined the lightswitch control panel is actually going to go in the end of the cabinet in the entrance way.
That way it is easily accessed from inside and outside the van (as I'm going to have exterior lighting under the awning and in the rear doors.

The speaker will have a matching correspondent in the bottom of the opposite cabinet.

I'm pleased with how the top cabinet's recession turned out.
I think it was worth the extra complication and effort to step it in and not have the sloping external face.

Geek screwed with this post 05-08-2013 at 03:50 PM
Old 05-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #2693
Geek OP
oot & aboot

I'm still trying to figure out a "door stopper" system.
I want the door to be able to be opened just to the edge of the cabinet.. or all the way.

Old 05-08-2013, 04:35 PM   #2694
djb_rh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Here's a question you guys might know...I really want to add vented T windows, or at least one, to my Sprinter passenger van. You know, one that already has windows. It looks like this window is the one I want. But in the passenger van, that particular window is an emergency exit window in case you roll over. So there's two big red handles and it pops out easily.

Do I lose that functionality if I install this one? I mean *ideally* I could get a T window replacement for that window that doesn't even require "installation" so much as carefully remove the one that's there by using the release handles (and a couple partners, I'd bet) and reinstall the new one the same way. But I'm guessing life is never going to be that easy, or they'd say so on the website, right?

--Donnie
Old 05-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2695
Katoom119
Mmmm....Orange Kool-aid

Oddometer: 1,754
Quote:
I want the door to be able to be opened just to the edge of the cabinet.. or all the way.

Don't know how much room you have, but what about something that goes from the gold door catch to the bottom of the door that unbolts with two tractor snap rings?

Take a piece of aluminum, drill two holes in it. Put a washer on it at a 90* angle. Put one up by that door catch and the other on the door low and out of the way. When you want the door half open, put a bar up and put the snap rings in. Want the door 100% open? Pull the pins and the bar.

Obviously you'll machine something out of 80/20 that weighs 4 oz and can also be used to start a fire in the middle of a hurricane, but I just finished finals and my brain hurts.

5 Cylinders vs. Moab..........My East Tennessee.........Internships may go to Hell and I will go to Alaska
Katoom119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #2696
DirtySantana
Chopper

Quote:
Nope. You are going to have to go by the pictures online and gamble your money like I did

j/k

I'm not sure when I'm going to get time to install it... I'm overloaded with projects at the moment and van building time is currently somewhat random.

I'll give you a shout when I know. I still have your cell number unless it has changed
Number is still the same. Man your getting close to being done. Cheers!
Old 05-09-2013, 07:43 AM   #2697
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb_rh View Post
Here's a question you guys might know...I really want to add vented T windows, or at least one, to my Sprinter passenger van. You know, one that already has windows. It looks like this window is the one I want. But in the passenger van, that particular window is an emergency exit window in case you roll over. So there's two big red handles and it pops out easily.

Do I lose that functionality if I install this one? I mean *ideally* I could get a T window replacement for that window that doesn't even require "installation" so much as carefully remove the one that's there by using the release handles (and a couple partners, I'd bet) and reinstall the new one the same way. But I'm guessing life is never going to be that easy, or they'd say so on the website, right?

--Donnie
I don't know the answer to your question specifically but here are some related things I do know:

1) the factory windows are glued in
2) the CRL windows bolt in with an "inner-ring".

I have the CRL windows sitting waiting for me to install them.
I'll make a detailed report on 1) the removal of the existing window and then 2) the installation of the CRL - and then you can determine what you think - I don't have the "emergency exit" feature so I have no idea how that window works.

Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #2698
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtySantana View Post
Number is still the same. Man your getting close to being done. Cheers!
I wish that were true. The 8020 is close to being done. The van I would say is about 50% (doh!).

Priorities in order right now:
1) Finish Passenger overhead cabinet
2) Finish counter tops
3) Install Fiamma
4) Install Windows
5) get started on the upholstery and interior panels
6) get started on interior lighting/wiring.
7) figure out why the fridge compressor stopped working

Fingers are crossed I can get all of this done before our two week Sprinter trip in June.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 AM   #2699
DirtySantana
Chopper

Quote:
I wish that were true. The 8020 is close to being done. The van I would say is about 50% (doh!).

Priorities in order right now:
1) Finish Passenger overhead cabinet
2) Finish counter tops
3) Install Fiamma
4) Install Windows
5) get started on the upholstery and interior panels
6) get started on interior lighting/wiring.
7) figure out why the fridge compressor stopped working

Fingers are crossed I can get all of this done before our two week Sprinter trip in June.
Good luck.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 AM   #2700
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:

Could you put a removable pin in the lower track (through the "step") just aft of the cabinet foot? Of course, that wouldn't lock the door in that position, only keep it from opening all of the way.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: