ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Oddometer: 1,467
Where to buy a home, Redstone or Glenwood Springs?

We are shopping for a home now and trying to decide between two favorites we've seen. I am not asking which place we should buy as I'm fully aware that decision can only be made by me and my wife. What I'm asking is what we're the major deciding factors for YOU when you decided where to buy? Especially interested to hear from those of you that we're deciding between living in a more rural area outside of town vs an in town location.

We have found 2 homes we love. Both are equidistant from our work locations, both are nice homes in very good condition. Both are the exact same price. Both are in great school districts... This biggest difference between them is that one is located in Glenwood Springs in a nice neighborhood on the edge of town. The other is located in Redstone, a town of about 200 residents. Both are fifteen minutes drive to Carbondale where we both work...
neepuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #2
Tommyg2bad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Carbondale, best of both worlds. Except the City Market sucks.
Tommyg2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 1,916
Any kids or plans for them? The opportunities/activities in Glenwood will have you there more often, versus Redstone. As an adult and not wanting much of a social life, I could see the benefits of a quiet place like Redstone, but as a father of active boys, I would be driving a lot to other places for all their activities that it wouldn't be worth it to me.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,866
Plan to have kids? Which school's are better.

Being CO I assume the one in a neighborhood has an HOA, if so that is an added expense the life of you living there. Then you have to ask yourself what would the HOA provide? A community Pool or Park or nothing at all and the money goes to feed a lawyer to write nasty letters to residents about garbage cans left out and parking issues!!! Sorry that type of HOA I could never support you have to get something for your money like a pool or park something that requires upkeep.

One upside to the country setting for children is you can let them outside and let them explore. Also neighbors even if farther apart in the country setting are more friendly vs neighbors in da hood. Seems people keep to themselves at most you each might say HI.

Of course you could always do the thing they say you should when buying a home, talk to the neighbors and see what they say about the place. They might let slip that is has issues or the other neighbor is a problem. See if you want to live next to them.

Also don't take the banks word for what you can afford you look at the numbers and see. We started looking at $150,000 places and I kept raising it, the Realtor asked "why did we look at those other places" um because I don't know the area and if I don't have to spend more why would I? We ended up spending $300,000 then the bank wanted us to do $500,000 we were like NO. Never did tell the Realtor we were approved for $500,000 because that is all she would show us. I'm just saying don't be house poor, too many people are.

Oh one more thing which will let you work on a motorcycle with a garage door open? A lot of HOA's so strict they make you have it shut. Which will let you start a motorcycle at night!!!
modette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 987
I always find Glenwood to be quite busy and noisy, especially in the summer and on weekends. As other have said, the advantage is to be close to shops, hotsprings pool, doctor's office, etc.
Redstone is full of tourists in the summer on weekends, but much quieter overall still. The commute to Carbondale is much more pleasant and fun on a bike but you trade crazy traffic for deer and other critters.
One thing to think about living in the canyon is insolation in the winter. make sure you get some sun on your home between Nov and Feb.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 4,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyg2bad View Post
Carbondale, best of both worlds. Except the City Market sucks.
I vote for Carbondale. Glenwood is way too crowded and busy these days. I would suspect that the property values in Redstone are more inflated than CDale or Glenwood. We missed buying a house in Redstone that was a really good buy, but glad we didn't now. I sure love the whole area with Marble and McClure just up the road. Fishing in both rivers is still pretty great I think. You lucky, lucky dog. Get on with it and enjoy!!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
zgfiredude
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 716
How long have the two been listed for sale? I am referencing re-sale value and opportunity. I would look at the property values and sales trends for the two and see which offers the "better" investment.

Secondarily, I would prefer the conveniences of the Glenwood location over the solitude of the Redstone location as well as the overall warmer climate of Glenwood over Redstone. Conveniences like internet, cable tv, city water vs. well water, natural gas vs. propane, and snow plowing would come into view for me as well.

Good luck!
Old 05-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #8
The Rizz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Carbondale or Basalt. Nice towns with small town feel.

Sold, stolen, or totalled: 2009 Street Triple, 2005.5 950 Adventure, 2003 DRZ400e, 2000 DR650, 2004 KLR650, 2003 DRZ400s, 2002 DRZ400s, 2003 FZ1, 1998 VFR800, 1996 Ninja 250 race bike, 2000 TL1000R, 2000 ZR7.
The Rizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 393
That's an enviable position to be in.

One thing my wife and I are discussing about where we want to buy down the road (no kids, yet, but probably soon, as well as buying a house soon) is "what's good for the (hypothetical) kids?"

Do you want to drive three hours a day to take them to and from soccer and band practice and school? Do you want them to grow up in the country, near other kids, or other? I can deal with a less than perfect house, but proximity to the things I really like are bigger motivators for us. For us, short commutes and family are high value things. What are yours?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Interesting perspectives everyone, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. We can't afford to buy in Carbondale or Basalt as those markets are ridiculous right now and we're not willing to buy a condo or townhome. We can get twice the house in Redstone or Glenwood. Both of our jobs are based in Carbondale so we are in town every day. The drive from Glenwood to my shop is the same time as the drive from Redstone. I actually maintain and plow HWY 133 from Carbondale over McClure pass for CDOT... We have a 3 year old daughter that will go to school in Carbondale if we get the Redstone house and Glenwood if we buy down there. The house in Redstone is in a sunny location, even in the winter. Neither home is in an HOA so no worries there and both homes have nice garages...
Old 05-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #11
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,104
...and if you decide on Redstone, you still have the Penny Hotsprings.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #12
Powderaddict
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
I'd go with Redstone, but I'm not a huge fan of GWS. 133 is beautiful, plus you would avoid 82.

previous: KLR 250, KLR 650, Ninja 650r, Triumph Sprint ST, Yamaha Seca II, Yamaha XS650, Suzuki TS185
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
Tommyg2bad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
2 words. Whitehouse Pizza. Nuff said. Or that breakfast place that makes such a good bloody Mary I can never remember the name of.
Find a foreclosure in Carbondale.
Tommyg2bad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
MountainsandRivers
loves dirty things!

Oddometer: 1,916
I am heading to Carbondale this weekend for kids lacrosse games, and it seems all i can think of is Phat Thai! I love edamame with bacon!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #15
neepuk OP
Such a drag...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyg2bad View Post
2 words. Whitehouse Pizza. Nuff said. Or that breakfast place that makes such a good bloody Mary I can never remember the name of.
Find a foreclosure in Carbondale.
The Village Smithy... My wife is a manager there.