ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #17296
arZan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Lawyer to fight an insurance claim

Not motorcycle related but surely NYC related.

Got side swiped a month ago by a yellow cab. Police came, took down a complaint. Independant pedestrian stopped by police and gave name etc and clearly indicated that the cab driver was at fault etc.

I have only 3rd party insurance...old car. Filed a claim with the cabbie's insurance Fiduciary out in LIC. Sent in official police report etc.

They sent an appraiser out to take pics etc. Then I get a letter from them that states that their estimate of damages is $ 1980 that countered my preliminary estimate of $ 2450. However they will pay only 998$ of that 1980$ that they appraised as damage.

I sent them a letter saying NO, and that my original estimate stands. Today they called in and said that their original offer still stands. I told them that they can send that to me in writing and I will pursue this legally in court.

So my question is....anyone recommend a good lawyer here. I am planning on the Small Claims court route, but do not mind seeking a paid consult with a lawyer before I do so.

The guy started to pull fast ones on me saying that I was committing fraud because the estimate I sent him was not from an official body shop. I asked him which part of the "Preliminary Estimate" did he not understand. In the end I told him that I would get an official estimate from an NYS licensed shop, but that would be presented in court.

93 Yamaha Vmax 1200
91 Honda Nighthawk 750
87 Kawasaki KB-100

News Views & Analysis | Urban Architecture | Parsi Khabar
arZan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #17297
wiseblood
Hall Monitor

Oddometer: 12,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
Not helping us... though all this bike parking just gets taken up by delivery bikes anyway, doesn't really help bicycle-riding residents :/

Sweet! I totally want to park there!

Big Apple Tag-o-Rama Maps: Click Here!
wiseblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #17298
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
That's too funny. Ain't none of my bikes fitting in there.
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #17299
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by arZan View Post
Not motorcycle related but surely NYC related.

Got side swiped a month ago by a yellow cab. Police came, took down a complaint. Independant pedestrian stopped by police and gave name etc and clearly indicated that the cab driver was at fault etc.

I have only 3rd party insurance...old car. Filed a claim with the cabbie's insurance Fiduciary out in LIC. Sent in official police report etc.

They sent an appraiser out to take pics etc. Then I get a letter from them that states that their estimate of damages is $ 1980 that countered my preliminary estimate of $ 2450. However they will pay only 998$ of that 1980$ that they appraised as damage.

I sent them a letter saying NO, and that my original estimate stands. Today they called in and said that their original offer still stands. I told them that they can send that to me in writing and I will pursue this legally in court.

So my question is....anyone recommend a good lawyer here. I am planning on the Small Claims court route, but do not mind seeking a paid consult with a lawyer before I do so.

The guy started to pull fast ones on me saying that I was committing fraud because the estimate I sent him was not from an official body shop. I asked him which part of the "Preliminary Estimate" did he not understand. In the end I told him that I would get an official estimate from an NYS licensed shop, but that would be presented in court.
taxis and livery cabs and limos have THE WORST insurance on the road. It really is bad. I had a cab side swipe me about 8 years back. Broke my foot. I ended up settling for chump change because I just didn't want to deal with those idiots anymore. In hindsight I should have taken them to court but my asshole attorney just wanted it over with and he had a multi million dollar lawsuit with another client of his so mine was not high on his agenda.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:29 PM   #17300
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Anyone got a line on a cheap ride? something like a 250 ninja or a buell blast? Somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range?

It's for a chick, she's petite.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #17301
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Anyone got a line on a cheap ride? something like a 250 ninja or a buell blast? Somewhere in the $1000-$1500 range?

It's for a chick, she's petite.

I hear the sellers kind of a dick, but the price is right

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881255

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM   #17302
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I hear the sellers kind of a dick, but the price is right

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=881255
Yea, I heard he got arrested for fucking a football or something in public, what a weirdo.

Sent her the ad.

It comes with a 6 pack right?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #17303
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Ill throw in a 6pack, can or bottle your choice*

*Total value not to exceed $10.00 U.S.C. Person accepting must show proof of age over 21. Seller not responsible for what purchaser does after exchange. Friends and relatives not eligible, US Residents only

Old 05-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #17304
robfilms
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
kenny61-

from the pix, that kawa 250 of yours looks pretty good.

someone is going to get a solid ride at a very good price.

glws.

be well.

rob
robfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:17 PM   #17305
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Oddometer: 183
WTB - Disc lock / Chain

I'm going to be locking my bike up in Harlem in the near future. Looking to buy a disc lock and chain if anyone has something laying around. Not looking forward to all the hassle but I know I need to take the precautions.

thanks.
175grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:48 PM   #17306
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfilms View Post
kenny61-

from the pix, that kawa 250 of yours looks pretty good.

someone is going to get a solid ride at a very good price.

glws.

be well.

rob

Thanks Rob. Bought it cheap put a few bucks into it and got 7,000 miles of fun. Not looking to make a killing or profit just a decent price for a decent bike. Bike also comes with a magnetic tank bag

Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 AM   #17307
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Hey Chris,

I don't have a lock for sale but would love to sit down with you and chat about your tours.

Let me know if you have some time,

John
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:58 AM   #17308
TengaiJohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,119
Anybody drive down Park and Cumberland in Brooklyn? There is a parking lot next to a deli, I just want someone to confirm there is a white Rover in the lot. If there is I'll take a ride over ....

Thanks.
TengaiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #17309
RichBeBe
All Hail Seitan!!!

Oddometer: 6,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Anybody drive down Park and Cumberland in Brooklyn? There is a parking lot next to a deli, I just want someone to confirm there is a white Rover in the lot. If there is I'll take a ride over ....

Thanks.
John. If I go climbing later I will swing by. At some point between now and Monday I am petty sure I will pass there and let you know.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #17310
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by TengaiJohn View Post
Hey Chris,

I don't have a lock for sale but would love to sit down with you and chat about your tours.

Let me know if you have some time,

John
Sounds good. Work is crazy busy for me right now, but I'll send you a PM and we'll try to set up a time sometime soon.
175grams is offline   Reply With Quote