ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Central From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #59176
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by buildit View Post
Good story Mark. Only way it could have been better is if a Harley had gone past and all the kids had yelled "FAGOT!" as he bleeped the throttle.
Teach them young!

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #59177
MeefZah
Curmudgeonly

Oddometer: 10,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
My daily rider used to be my 73 CB350F. That bike would get comments from every guy 50+ years old in sight. Now that i'm riding the motard, every 8-12 year old boy thinks its the coolest thing in the world. Had one kid sunday damn near jump out the drivers window of a van before it stopped moving. "LOOK MOM A DIRTBIKE!"
Hey Matt, I'm waiting to hear from another guy but I'm thinking about leaving on an overnighter tomorrow around noon (have court in the morning), and riding to St Mary's WV area, camping, and heading back to be home Saturday by about 2. Any interest?

My Smugmug Galleries
MeefZah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:24 PM   #59178
swingset
Got the knack.

Oddometer: 10,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Plus his financing, if I wanted to keep some cash for parts, was through the roof, but that may be normal for a used bike?!
Used bike financing, in general, is on par with an unsecured loan. Very hard to find a good term on a used toy.

If I were going to finance a used bike, I'd go to a credit union and just borrow the cash...probably be as good if not better terms.

FWIW, I've ridden several 990's, and I liked the bike quite a bit...as "offroady" as an adventurer tourer could (and probably should) ever be.

Maintenance is kind of a PITA on them, but not horrible from what I've read just takes a bit for some normal things.

swingset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #59179
Danjal
Insert wit here.

Oddometer: 2,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingset View Post
Used bike financing, in general, is on par with an unsecured loan. Very hard to find a good term on a used toy.

If I were going to finance a used bike, I'd go to a credit union and just borrow the cash...probably be as good if not better terms.

FWIW, I've ridden several 990's, and I liked the bike quite a bit...as "offroady" as an adventurer tourer could (and probably should) ever be.

Maintenance is kind of a PITA on them, but not horrible from what I've read just takes a bit for some normal things.
Consumers national bank or first national bank of Dennison has always gave me pretty good rates. 6% give or take a percent on bike loans. On used bikes that is. On new you just cant beat their own maker's financing group. At least as far as Japanese bikes go.
Danjal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM   #59180
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Oddometer: 2,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikef5000 View Post
Odd. I had a fine experience today, other than he doesn't want to budge on that price. I think Ben and friend did as well. No complaints.

Did a test ride on the thing. Seems like a fun bike, didn't blow my socks off necessarily, but I still think that's the direction I'm headed. I think the suspension was adjusted all funky on it. Lots of dive in the forks, but rough ride from the back. Felt like the preload was at minimum up front and maximum on the rear. The forks were also dropped in the trees about half an inch or so, so that may not have helped any.

Front tire was probably around 60%, rear around 40%. Chain and rear sprocket maybe around 50%.

I'm not sold on that one. I don't like the thought of spending $8800 (OTD) on a bike that will need $400 in tubes, tires, chain, and sprockets in the coming months. Plus his financing, if I wanted to keep some cash for parts, was through the roof, but that may be normal for a used bike?!

I'm not going to tell you your business, but you loved that Tenere, and it sounds like you have a lot of qualms about the 990 (tubes, chain, maintenance). My advice is to either just buy another new S-10 and finance it, or pay cash for a Strom or similar "cheap" bike until you get your insurance check. If you buy the 990 and hate it, you are probobly going to lose your ass.

Financing a used bike is tough, most banks don't want to touch them because the equity just isn't there, and the track record with financed bikes getting crashed isn't good.

My VW Double Cab Truck Build thread
Gonzo_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #59181
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeefZah View Post
Funny little story about bikes and kids....

It was pretty cool.
I try to wave at kids or if I'm stopped talk to them, or rev the engine or honk, or whatever. I can remember being the 10 year old kid that idolized the shit out of grown-ups with cool grown up toys.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #59182
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 447
Had more then once a kid came bouncing out of a car and wanted to look or touch my bike, and the parent yelled at them to get away from that, then give me a dirty look. Just like Mat I can remember my Uncles with their Indians and Harleys, man I was all over them and would of rode with them to the ends of the earth. I guess some people just grow up and forget the wonders of being a kid.

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #59183
BOB RAMSAY
Not in the Clique -

Oddometer: 291
2006 950 Adventure. . .

I'm not sold on that one. I don't like the thought of spending $8800 (OTD) on a bike that will need $400 in tubes, tires, chain, and sprockets in the coming months.

Check the Motohio.com wegsite. They have a orange one - 25k, valves done at 20k - next inspection 50k, chain and sprockets have 2k on them. Last oil change was 100 miles ago. New front, will need rear in 1-2k. Luggage included, heated grips. Good to go - I know - I used to own it.

BTW - contrary to urban legend - it's a better than average bike. It's a KTM.

BR
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #59184
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapshooter View Post
I guess some people just grow up and forget the wonders of being a kid.

Dave
I really think that's true. I remember being a kid and thinking "Man, when I grow up, I'm not going to be like other adults, I'm gonna let my kids do cool stuff" That actually was a big part of my motivation behind buying my nephew the 80 to play around on, if I was 10 and my uncle brought over a dirt bike for me, I would have shit a brick. I guess some people take being grown up too serious, I do not....

Old 05-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #59185
motodirtlover
Motodirtlover

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo_Matt View Post
There are a couple 990's there. I dunno, I went in looking at bikes and the guy basically blew me off, not really personable at all and eneded up just ignoring me. Kinda pissed me off.
Go easy, the Owner who is normally on the floor selling has been spending a lot of time in the back wrenching on stuff since his mechanic got busted up racing national enduros and can't work. You probably got the parts guy.....
motodirtlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:40 PM   #59186
Gonzo_Matt
Random Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodirtlover View Post
Go easy, the Owner who is normally on the floor selling has been spending a lot of time in the back wrenching on stuff since his mechanic got busted up racing national enduros and can't work. You probably got the parts guy.....
It was right at the beginning of April, I actually went in there both shopping for a big bike and for a walkbehind mower. I am pretty sure I was talking to the owner. Regardless, that ain't the way to sell bikes or mowers.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #59187
ruppster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB RAMSAY View Post
BTW - contrary to urban legend - it's a better than average bike. It's a KTM.

BR
I don't know, mine's giving me fits. Got tags on it, bled the rear brake & the master cylinder started leaking. Finally figured out why the front wheel seems out our whack, it has a pretty good flat spot. I guess I knew it had been crashed & sat for several years, it's an 05 with 450 miles and 20 or 25 hrs. But I suppose I'll be looking for a front wheel & rear cylinder rebuild kit, just little stuff. Still not hurt any for what I paid. Was hoping to do the Grassman as its first group ride.

ruppster screwed with this post 05-09-2013 at 06:16 PM
ruppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #59188
Trapshooter
Monkeying Around

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
I really think that's true. I remember being a kid and thinking "Man, when I grow up, I'm not going to be like other adults, I'm gonna let my kids do cool stuff" That actually was a big part of my motivation behind buying my nephew the 80 to play around on, if I was 10 and my uncle brought over a dirt bike for me, I would have shit a brick. I guess some people take being grown up too serious, I do not....
I guess being 65 gives me the right to do what I want, as long as it's not too illegal or hurts someone. I know the wife thinks I'll never grow up, which is good.

Dave
Trapshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #59189
sion
sigh-own

Oddometer: 3,508
Quote:
I try to wave at kids or if I'm stopped talk to them, or rev the engine or honk, or whatever. I can remember being the 10 year old kid that idolized the shit out of grown-ups with cool grown up toys.

I do the same...anytime I see kids looking at me as I ride by I acknowledge them in some way...

I suppose I really should learn how to wheelie...you just KNOW thats what they really wanna see

whats the value of good gear?: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...ostcount=49301
sion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:46 PM   #59190
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,317
Quote:
if I was 10 and my uncle brought over a dirt bike for me, I would have shit a brick. ....
When I was 10 my uncle gave me a brand new, Winchester 1894 30-30.

I was too young to shit a brick, it was more like a small stone.

I did not get a bike until I was 16.