User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
SATEX OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,263
S.t.u.d.s. W.a.r. 2013

Studs Wars??? This forum is about trip planning rather than sex and/or war, so what's with the title???
Obviously it's a couple of acronyms....

S.T.U.D.S. = South Texas United Dual Sports. I wish I could claim that, but credit goes to a good friend who returned me to Dual Sport and dirt riding after years of taking care of other responsibilities (old story for many of us on this board.) Anyway, we're an amorphous group who ride together, plan trips, and mostly have breakfast every Friday morning at the Thousand Oaks Cafe here in San Antonio.

W.A.R. = Western Assault Ride An as yet undetermined number of riding buddies from around San Antonio will be riding from New Mexico to Oregon. The time is still tentative, but will likely begin 8/17/13. I'm the primary route planner, and the TAT will be used as a template. The trip will include a mix of camping and motels. For those of us going all the way to Oregon, the way home will likely be to ship bikes and fly home. We may have one or two who want to ride back, and there may be another variation as well.

I was part of a group of 4 who rode the western TAT in the summer of '07. For various reasons, we had to cut off parts of the route and a couple of guys dropped out and met us later in Oregon. That is actually a complex and interesting story, but not one I want to get into in this thread.

I decided to start this thread because I'm going to need advice and feedback from the general inmate population, and also as a convenient way for my group of cats (who will need to be herded) to chime in or just watch and get updates, etc.

There could be quite a number of us going... perhaps 10. Regardless of numbers, we will have some who want to include every nasty section possible (short of dangerous single track due to loaded bikes, etc.) and some who want a more relaxing experience.

The bikes and offroad riding experience will be quite varied. I am an experienced, confident, and poorly skilled dirt rider and I'll be riding the same bike that almost everyone uses on the TAT ... a Husaberg FE650. The other bikes will/may include DR650s, DRZ400's, DR350, KLX and KLR 650, KTM 690 and KTM 990, and of course a GS1200.

I'll start the thread with only one pic... my Arabian horse that I'm going to force into pack mule duty:
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.

SATEX screwed with this post 03-16-2013 at 08:32 AM
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #2
Mudclod
Mojo Moto

Oddometer: 1,458
Well that bike would certainly be my first choice! ha! Can't wait to follow your adventure, wish I could go.

Down Texas Way
Mudclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:56 PM   #3
LooseWheel
hearded cat

Oddometer: 5
The herd

meow
LooseWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
I'm in. Here's a picture (not current - it has changed a bit in the last 2 years) of the 690 I plan to use.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:38 PM   #5
LooseWheel
hearded cat

Oddometer: 5
See Saw

Im still on the see saw about the trip. But it will be a great adventure for whomever goes. SATEX is doing a Yeoman's job of planning.

I started hanging out with these guys at a taco joint down the street and they kept saying that riding my Vespa on dual sport excursions might disappoint me. So last August a pleasant advrider inmate sold me his well kept 2008 WR250R.

If I am able to make this trek I will ride my WRR. It is pictured below as it was just after I brought it home last year. Shiney! Now it only looks clean where I have last wrenched on it.

LooseWheel screwed with this post 03-18-2013 at 09:50 AM
LooseWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:18 PM   #6
SJBurd
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Cool2 2 on See Saw

If work schedule permits, I'm planning on joining the group on the old KLX 650. I haven't figured out how to add a picture but the bike is only impressive for the goofy color scheme the boyz at Kawasaki dreamed up back in '83. I'm pretty sure drugs were involved and turquois seemed like a good color for the frame. Plus the only picture I have handy is when I bought it off of Calvin so it now has more dents, cuts and bruises PLUS the larger Acerbis gas tank. BTW, I think I can rig up a better mounting bracket to angle the tank to actually get the last 2 gallons of fuel out of the side wings that sit lower than the petcock... what a concept!
If I kill this bike like the KLR that died on the previous TAT trip, I think I'll just bury it & hitch home. I guess that means I won't be buying a replacement bike for the motor, renting a truck to haul both bikes to OR all just to bring Hal his NEXT bike...
SJBurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #7
SATEX OP
Beastly Adventurer

SJBurd is going, whether he realizes it now or not. I plan to ride the nastiest route I can find, and I'll need help along the way picking up my pig of a motorcycle.

Loosewheel is going too. He has much needed skills, especially in electrical issues. I don't AC from DC except as a way of separating homos from herteros.... not that there's anything wrong with keeping them unseparated.

Speaking of prep... I have much to do myself. I have to get up to speed on the new Montana GPS, continue to tweak the route, meet with the "route around boys" to sort out options, and lots of etc.'s.

One of the things to organize within the next couple of months will be (in addition to firming up participation) determining those who will ride home vs. ship bikes/fly home. For those like me who plan to ship bikes from Portland at the end of the trip, Forward Air seems the best option still. I'll look at UShip, but I have doubts about the reliability that will be required. Suggestions here are gladly accepted.

As for bike prep, there are a few things:
1. Buy new air filter and NoToil oil and cleaner. I plan to use one filter and have a clean filter compressed in a zip lock baggie. Also, I will need to change my oil and filter at least twice and maybe 3 or 4 times. I expect to be the only one in my group with this handicap, but I have this challenge sorted.... I think. I doubt that I'll need to check and/or adjust valves because I don't expect a lot of high rpm work, but that's easy for me to do with one hour, a couple of tools, a beer, a nubile light holder, etc.

2. Check clicks on timing chain adjuster. I semi expect to replace the timing chain, and will do so if I find fewer than 5 clicks available.

3. Change chain, sprockets, and tires. I will perseverate over tires. Right now I have some cheapo Shinkos. They are actually pretty good, but I don't really trust them (a new set of course) to stay together for this trip. I have a new Kenda Trackmaster rear ready to mount, but I really want to make the whole trip on a set of tires, and I have my doubts about that one.

I'm geared a bit tall right now, but plan to go back to stock for the trip. The big girl has LOADS of power, but still requires a bit too much clutch work with current gearing. Plus, I do not anticipate much higher speed highway riding. If necessary, "Husey Galore" will still run more than 100mph with stock gearing.

4. Check and grease bearings: wheels, steering stem, swingarm.

4. Improve lighting. Lots of options, and sorting them out as we go.

5. Thoroughly test packing, weight, etc. We plan to camp as much as possible, and I already have a pretty good setup for light camping... Mountain Hardware 1 man tent, MH 40 degree bag, 3/4 length sleeping pad, etc. I don't know if I will get a small stove for coffee and minimalist meals, or just go with granola bars in between restaurant stops.

My approach to packing is different (it seems) from most on this board. I try to carry as much on myself as possible and leave the bike as light and compact as possible. Extra clothing will be minimal, and nothing cotton will make the trip. That means new underwear is in my future. I use a backpack and tool belt and the weight on me isn't bad while I'm riding, and the bike stays fairly nimble. On the bike I'll use my Wolfman offroad saddle backs and strap down a dry bag with my tent and some light stuff. Anyway, I want the weight on the bike as low as possible and well distributed. At that point, I will get the correct springs for the forks and shock so that I can maintain some semblance of control.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
SATEX OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
I think I was on the trip when this pic was taken. However, I usually saw it up close only when it was napping in the dirt.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #9
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATEX View Post
I think I was on the trip when this pic was taken. However, I usually saw it up close only when it was napping in the dirt.
No naps on that trip. The one you're thinking of was at the same place (Big Bend Ranch State Park) a few months later, but I was on my 300.

It would be fun to see if the 300 would make a trip of this length.

My prep for the 690 is fresh oil, new knobby's, chain and sprockets, valve check, clean filter and several filter socks. I'll use my Wolfman tank bag, GB Coyote, and a Wolfman dry roll for tent, bag and pad. I'll use a 1 gal Rotopax for a total of 4.2 gal. (About 200 mile range).
2008 KTM 690 Enduro

DirtJack screwed with this post 03-19-2013 at 09:39 PM
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
TxSojourner
n00b

Oddometer: 2
getting feet wet

I was reading through some threads and stumbled on to this one. Ive been on street bikes fore the past 10 years and am finally giving in to my wanderlust to do some off pavement trips. I'm wanting to get linked in and learn a little. I'm in Uvalde about an hour West of SA. I've found a 2012 KTM 990 Adventure R that I think I am going to pull the trigger on but would it be beneficial to also get something like a DRZ 400 to learn how to ride off road and keep around for fun/shorter rides?
TxSojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
DirtJack
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxSojourner View Post
I was reading through some threads and stumbled on to this one. Ive been on street bikes fore the past 10 years and am finally giving in to my wanderlust to do some off pavement trips. I'm wanting to get linked in and learn a little. I'm in Uvalde about an hour West of SA. I've found a 2012 KTM 990 Adventure R that I think I am going to pull the trigger on but would it be beneficial to also get something like a DRZ 400 to learn how to ride off road and keep around for fun/shorter rides?
The 990 will be a bit of a handful to do your first off pavement treks. Smaller/lighter is better at the beginning. Having said that (and owing a 990), the big bike does exceptionally well except for the gnarly stuff. The WAR group meets every Friday morning starting at 6:00 at the Thousand Oaks Cafe (Corner of Austin Highway and Vandiver). Join us if you can.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro