Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #3121
bigboyxl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by D K View Post
We need titanium crash bars!
Are you prepared to pay a fortune for a titanium crash bars???
Nomada panniers, Holan crashbars, Remus silencers etc. Worldwide shipping. Better deals for ADVriders
bigboyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #3122
D K
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyxl View Post
Are you prepared to pay a fortune for a titanium crash bars???
You mean they cost money??
08 950SE for sale in SoCal
09 FE570 patiently waiting..
D K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:57 AM   #3123
nikoktm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by umitc View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

This is what always happens.
Hey Umitc, I just notice the same thing this morning!. And I couldn't find were the contact area is located...
nikoktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:29 AM   #3124
igorpetrovich
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Hey Umitc, I just notice the same thing this morning!. And I couldn't find were the contact area is located...
I think I found the contact area, it's the last bit of the plastic guide above the swingarm near the pinion. for most of the swingarm the gide it's higher but in that location it's exatelly the same hight of the mark on the chain.

there's noting to worry about....
Old 05-10-2013, 07:46 AM   #3125
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post
My wife and I picked up a new 1190 Adv (not R) in Cannes, Fr about ten days ago and are now in Podgorica, Montenegro. We've got a little over 2200K since leaving and have not experienced any heat problems. Now, we should say that it's been a tad chilly in the upper Balkan Peninsula with "some" rain so that needs to be considered... Also we are wearing Klim riding suits, but there really have been NO HEAT ISSUES even when we've been in stop and go traffic in some of the bigger towns. The bike tours beautifully.
We're up over 10,000km now and the bike is doing well. The original tires easily went 9500km, but we changed them in Istanbul before heading on to Bulgaria. The main issues we have with the bike are the side stand (too short) and the chain rubbing on the chain guard. The latter is easily, remedially, fixed with a liberal lubing of the chain, but with the full load of luggage the side stand does not adequately support the bike. We've been running in "Street mode" most of the time and the bike performs well there.
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #3126
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 569
Maybe I missed this, but what is your fuel economy on this trip (overall or typical)? Thanks for your updates and whetting our appetites waiting for the US launch!

-dman

Quote:
We're up over 10,000km now and the bike is doing well. The original tires easily went 9500km, but we changed them in Istanbul before heading on to Bulgaria. The main issues we have with the bike are the side stand (too short) and the chain rubbing on the chain guard. The latter is easily, remedially, fixed with a liberal lubing of the chain, but with the full load of luggage the side stand does not adequately support the bike. We've been running in "Street mode" most of the time and the bike performs well there.
dman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 AM   #3127
SlowFinn
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
1190R shortage panic thread now!

Welcome to Finland and get yourself an R. Even though we have miles and miles of gravel road the standard model sells better, so there are R's still available.

My LBS told me that the 1190 I'll pick up next Friday is one of the last standard ones they'll get into the country this year. I already had a panic moment because of that - ordered the bike before I had a proper chance for a test ride. But who needs test rides anyway?!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #3128
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 597
Side Stand...

You might try one of the oversized side stand "foot prints". You could add a couple of spacers between the plates and probably gain a half an inch (mm's?) Wider foot print and longer length. Both good things.

Quote:
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:23 AM   #3129
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFinn View Post
My LBS told me that the 1190 I'll pick up next Friday is one of the last standard ones they'll get into the country this year. I already had a panic moment because of that - ordered the bike before I had a proper chance for a test ride. But who needs test rides anyway?!
Tried the bike (1190) today, just a 20-minute run in urban and extra-urban conditions so hard to reach firm conclusions.

Nevertheless, it was extremely impressive. I suspect you'll be pleased.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #3130
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
You might try one of the oversized side stand "foot prints". You could add a couple of spacers between the plates and probably gain a half an inch (mm's?) Wider foot print and longer length. Both good things.
Or do what a lot if the guys around here do.

Get a hockey puck, drill two or three holes through the side stand foot and the puck (counter sink the screw/bolt heads in the puck) and bolt it all together. It'll lengthen the stand a little over an inch. And it looks cool!

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #3131
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Tried the bike (1190) today, just a 20-minute run in urban and extra-urban conditions so hard to reach firm conclusions.

Nevertheless, it was extremely impressive. I suspect you'll be pleased.
Moronic, I would be interested to hear what your impressions were...are you going to write them up?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:26 PM   #3132
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 395
I want to test

I need to test ride as well. Problem is in Australia there aren't a lot of dealers around. KTM have two dealer types , off road and road, some have both but most of the out of city dealers are off road bikes,(singles).

The is a dealer in Sydney but riding in the city tells you very little ! I will head to Canberra to test if they have a demo there.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #3133
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
They do. I rode it this morning.
PPiA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 PM   #3134
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Moronic, I would be interested to hear what your impressions were...are you going to write them up?

I'll be trying her again next week, two-up and possibly back-to-back with the Multi. Might have more to say then.

Not sure my impressions are worth much after such a short time on board. There are several posting here who have taken delivery.

In the mean time, if you've specific questions, I'm happy to give what answers I can. Take them with plenty of salt.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #3135
SlowFinn
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Here's my view as I have had a couple of rides, first with the R for an hour or so, and then a few days ago a short stint on the standard model (which I had already ordered at that point).

Having ridden on the pavement for the last six years I couldn't really tell a difference about the impressions on gravel roads/off-road. Mind you, I learned nearly the hard way that the Off-road drive mode frees the traction control quite a lot... "Yes, I'll take the R-model but please fix the crash-damage first"

As my current steed is a '91 GSX-R 1100 with slightly tuned engine, I was already impressed with the power figures. 141 hp at the rearwheel, according to a bike magazines dynotest, is the same number as my Gixxer produces. And yes, the ponies are all there. Winding up the throttle really makes the scenery go by fast. And the brakes are equally as good, although maybe due to the weight not as powerful as the single disc on the new Duke 690.

The TC does it's wonders as when on gravel you can go silly with the throttle. The street tires offer no grip so giving the 1190 a handful on the gravel at +100 kph makes the bike wag it's tail a bit and the TC light keeps flashing happily. And speed keeps going up, even with the rear spinning (or trying to). Or maybe it was just that the controlled traction that did assist to really get the speed up, instead of making the roads look like a farmers playground.

The R was a tad too high for me, and I suspect knobbies makes it that much higher that me with a 82 cm inseam wouldn't be comfortable anymore in off-road conditions. Even with the OEM tires I had a few doubts about making a u-turn on uneven ground, had to think if I need to get out of the saddle to keep the bike upright.

Suspension on the R felt firm, don't know if it was in standard form or had some dialling in done. The standard models chassis felt a bit more plush, although I had only a short ride with it and that on pavement. Couldn't feel any difference between the Sport/Road/Comfort -settings but as I said, a too short and street-oriented ride...

The worst part with the 1190 is the turn indicator switch. It has about one millimeter of movement which makes it feel numb. So atleast before I got a feel for it I had to check the dash to see if the blinkers were on or not. But as that's the worst part, well, I think it's a heck of a bike. Best parts - poweeeer. Makes me laugh out loud, so it's a definitive plus in my book.