Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 09:08 AM   #15226
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,247
The regulars should know by now that if you want to troll for Schizzman, you mention that which shall not be mentioned on the IMS thread, the border.

In regard to throw away wallets, I'm not convinced that it is necessary. The most I'll do is hide money somewhere on the bike and keep the amount in the wallet relatively low.

Each of us have a different balance point in regard to what contingencies to be prepared for.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #15227
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,618
You nailed me there, Amigo.

Actually, that was less about the Border than the Douche Chills.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:49 AM   #15228
Turkeycreek
Gringo Viejo

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeazyBuddha View Post

In regard to throw away wallets, I'm not convinced that it is necessary. The most I'll do is hide money somewhere on the bike and keep the amount in the wallet relatively low.

Each of us have a different balance point in regard to what contingencies to be prepared for.
My throw away wallet is for trips to Phoenix.
Turkeycreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #15229
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
The regulars should know by now that if you want to troll for Schizzman, you mention that which shall not be mentioned on the IMS thread, the border.

Which is just silly. That's like saying San Diego isn't part of the USA just because it's close to Tijuana.

Anthony Bourdain (some of you guys may have heard of him ) did a great episode bouncing between Nuevo Laredo and Piedras Negras, with some scenes shot at a bbq joint in Eagle Pass. He made a side trip to the suburbs of Monterrey to meet the family of a young guy that he had met slicing sushi at a place in Laredo. I have managed to stumble on just about every place that I saw in his episode with the exception of the Texas bbq joint - I haven't managed to make it there yet.

Anyway, when I get out of this God-forsaken part of the Eagle Ford in an estimated 3-8 weeks I am thinking about riding back to my old haunts around Nuevo Progreso and Reynosa. There is a ghost town (Rio Rico) a few miles from Progreso that I have wanted to see for some time. A few years ago, when things were a bit wilder there, what passes as the local Progreso police chief told me that I would "probably" be OK if I rode over there as long as I didn't return with marijuana. Another time there was flooding and I was driving my Land Rover in the general direction, cutting through the vehicle paths next to some drainage canals when I came across two guys sitting in a black pickup. They were very polite but strongly suggested that I really, really didn't want to keep going so I thanked them, turned around, and drove back by way of the town of Rio Bravo.

Anyway, you guys ride the mountains. I am going to hit the border towns, hopefully explore some off road areas near the border, and with any luck at all stuff myself on lobster along the Mexican coast over the next year or two.

But this phobia about the borders, or copping an attitude that any place is more "authentic" is nutty. Interesting is interesting, no matter where it's at.

PirateJohn screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 04:32 PM
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #15230
PirateJohn
Banned

I might add that both Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern say that the food scene around Tijuana and Ensenada is phenomenal. Part of that Ensenada scene is anchored by a park that hosts some of the sets used to shoot the movie Titanic. I cannot think of anything that sounds, on the surface, cheesier than going to an amusement park where a gringo movie was shot near the border but everything that I have heard and read indicates that there is some excellent riding around that part of the US/Mexican border, especially if a person wanted to scout out some of the wineries that are emerging in Northern Baja. Pretty much right along the border.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #15231
WeazyBuddha
Carbon-Based Humanoid

Oddometer: 4,247
I used to ride the border more often, it's not beautiful mountains with curvy roads but it's definitely different than Texas and it most definitely IS Mexico. I'd cross at Harlingen ride through Valle Hermoso, would go down the dirt road where our family once lived and cross back at Reynosa.

Just for grins I want to try the new bridge South of Donna (Donna-Rio Bravo Int'l Bridge) one of these days. The changes in my lifetime are amazing. This latest bridge was built right across the old tiny school I attended through 6th grade; 80 or so students from kinder to 8th. It probably has a historical marker.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #15232
miguelito
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
My last comment on this thread was about Altamirano, and I said it "wasn't magical". It's interesting to have just returned to San Miguel after a 4 day trip thru Valle de Bravo, Zihuatanejo, Patzcuaro and back to SMA, and my opinion has shifted a lot. I was more interested in the town this trip, found it captivating in some regards, and I plan on returning just to explore the town a bit more. I can also add that this is my second trip down the stretch of Rt. 134 between Altamirano and Zihuatanejo, which has been noted to have had some hijackings and robberies along it. The trip went without incident, and the single pick up truck coming the opposite direction waved at me as did several pedestrians. I did not stop for the 2-1/2 hour ride, so I may have decreased my target size accordingly by doing so. I will also add that when my girl and I rode the opposite direction a couple of years ago, we stopped a lot to take pics and stretch, again with no incidents to report. I will note again, that the area is "geologically active", and you will find the cliff side of the road is often strewn with rocks and rubble from above, and the occasional 4 ton boulder sloughing off into the roadway. Do ride with caution in this area for this reason alone. Personally, I found the ride between Valle de Bravo and Zihuat stellar, except for some road surface conditions, and plan on making this trip again. YMMV

The restaurant by the bridge at the south side of the town of Altamirano.

miguelito screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 03:47 PM Reason: Added a photo to keep the interest of the slower inmates.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #15233
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
I used to ride the border more often, it's not beautiful mountains with curvy roads but it's definitely different than Texas and it most definitely IS Mexico. I'd cross at Harlingen ride through Valle Hermoso, would go down the dirt road where our family once lived and cross back at Reynosa.

Just for grins I want to try the new bridge South of Donna (Donna-Rio Bravo Int'l Bridge) one of these days. The changes in my lifetime are amazing. This latest bridge was built right across the old tiny school I attended through 6th grade; 80 or so students from kinder to 8th. It probably has a historical marker.

I meant to ask about that bridge. It was just being opened when I left the RGV. Doesn't it fly directly over to Rio Bravo?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #15234
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,681
http://www.latimes.com/news/world/wo...,4437073.story

It is just a bunch of inner tubes Roy . . . - Cannonshot
Growing old is compulsory - growing up is optional. - Haroon
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #15235
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post

I think this is primarily your best quote from the article:

"He was found in an area known for raucous nightlife."

OK guys ... discussion here. How many black folks have you met en Mexico?

And I have my story but since Certain Parties (tm) complain about border stories and adult stories - despite having their own youthful experiences - I will hold my tale for later. If appropriate.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #15236
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelito View Post
....the area is "geologically active", and you will find the cliff side of the road is often strewn with rocks and rubble from above, and the occasional 4 ton boulder sloughing off into the roadway. Do ride with caution in this area for this reason alone.
Quote of the day
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #15237
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmex View Post
Guero, have you being robed in Mexico ? it's your bike made of gold too?
Do you feel like everybody in Mexico wants you ? when you are there ? Do you see Mexico like something out of this world? are you so honest that you wouldn't bribe a transito?
Landed today at SAT customs didn't even check my bags went through immigration as american citizen and they asked me in broken Spanish if it was ropa all I had ... went Yes sir ....
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #15238
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Guero, have you being robed in Mexico ? it's your bike made of gold too?
Do you feel like everybody in Mexico wants you ? when you are there ? Do you see Mexico like something out of this world? are you so honest that you wouldn't bribe a transito?
Landed today at SAT customs didn't even check my bags went through immigration as american citizen and they asked me in broken Spanish if it was ropa all I had ... went Yes sir ....
No, I've never been robbed in Mexico in my 21 years of riding down there. I've had some minor shit stolen but nothing I really cared about. I'm not sure I understand your question about whether I think "everybody in Mexico wants" me. I wish some beautiful Mexicanas wanted me; that would be flattering. I do like my bike and don't want any cabrones trying to change its ownership but if I lost it I'd just get another one and shine on.
Is it dishonest to bribe a transito? I though it was just paying la multa. Do I see Mexico as "something out of this world," as in strange and otherworldly?
No, I see it as an interesting and soulful place with much natural beauty, incredible cuisine, great roads....etc. Saludos, Jim

jimmex screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 10:53 PM
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #15239
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
[QUOTE=jimmex;21381887] I'm not sure I understand your question about whether I think "everybody in Mexico wants" me.

It appears to me that many gringos here think everybody in Mexico is going to be aiming at them because they are special
Saludos
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #15240
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,202
MikeMike, registration is in full swing for the BMW rally in your town

From what I'm told by Big Jim here locally, looks like a split deal with some activities/hotel stop in Tuxpan

I haven't taken a look at the itinerary but it would be interesting to see what they offer for ride destinations from the Veracruz (state) banquet table.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote