Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
sherpa_pat OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Buffalo, NY & Allegany/Allegheny

Hi everyone,

I will be passing through Buffalo on my way to Allegheny Forest next weekend. Having never been to Buffalo, I am wondering if there are any quick but "classic" Buffalo places I should grab a bite to eat. I might be thinking along the lines of wings... Or maybe that's too cliché? In any case, I don't want to get held up in too much downtown type traffic, or have to spend an eternity finding parking, etc.

Are there any local inmates that have tips/recommendations?

I'm planning on heading down route 16 and maybe ride through Allegany State Park Route 1. See the map. Any thoughts on this selection? Does anyone know the speed limit through Allegany and Allegheny? I tried to use Google Street View, but I'm not having much luck finding signs!

For what it's worth, I'll be riding my Super Sherpa and my lady will be on her Honda 599. We also have a 10 year old daughter that will be riding pillion with us :)
Wave if you see us!
sherpa_pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #2
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpa_pat View Post
Hi everyone,

I will be passing through Buffalo on my way to Allegheny Forest next weekend. Having never been to Buffalo, I am wondering if there are any quick but "classic" Buffalo places I should grab a bite to eat. I might be thinking along the lines of wings... Or maybe that's too cliché? In any case, I don't want to get held up in too much downtown type traffic, or have to spend an eternity finding parking, etc.

Are there any local inmates that have tips/recommendations?

Duffs is a classic in my memory, but that is cliche and they have more Duff Franchises in Ontario now than Western NY which I find hilarious. It is a reflection of the economy. You shouldn't see much traffic on your route south of Buffalo. High taxes have caused most residents to move out of state.

East Aurora, NY is a nice little town on your way into rural western NY.

15 miles south you will find Holland,NY a little town of 3500.
They have a tulip festival this week.

I would recommend Earl's in Sardinia, but old Earl died and with him his unique dining experience is gone.

If you take 38 E to Arcade there is a Steam Engine ride on the old Arcade Attica train. If you go to Allegheny via Fillmore,NY you might see some Amish that moved up north from PA.

Sadly, there is not much to see on RT 16 between Holland, NY and Olean,NY.
Route 16 is a pretty straight and flat road, but they have a lot of head-ons between Machias and Franklinvillle,NY. Look out for aggressive drivers in that stretch. There are a lot of parallel rural routes to 16 that have more interesting scenery and are more fun on motorcycle than RT 16.

Cuba, NY has a cheese factory and a pretty lake that Canadians like. But that might be a little out of the way.

Holiday Valley Ski Resort and Golf is in Ellicott, NY. That might be interesting to visit and it is only about 20-30 miles from your destination. Ellicott is a nice little town.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
sherpa_pat OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
Duffs is a classic in my memory, but that is cliche and they have more Duff Franchises in Ontario now than Western NY which I find hilarious. It is a reflection of the economy.
Thanks for the recommendation. I've actually never heard of Duffs, but I don't spend too much time in Toronto, where they seem to have all their Canadian branches. Definitely funny that they have as many franchises over here. My boss at work told me that living in Niagara area, he used to cross the border into Buffalo for beer, pizza and wings all the time. Maybe so many Canadians were doing it that it only seemed logical for them to open up shop on this side of the border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
You shouldn't see much traffic on your route south of Buffalo. High taxes have caused most residents to move out of state.

East Aurora, NY is a nice little town on your way into rural western NY.

15 miles south you will find Holland,NY a little town of 3500.
They have a tulip festival this week.

I would recommend Earl's in Sardinia, but old Earl died and with him his unique dining experience is gone.

If you take 38 E to Arcade there is a Steam Engine ride on the old Arcade Attica train. If you go to Allegheny via Fillmore,NY you might see some Amish that moved up north from PA.

Sadly, there is not much to see on RT 16 between Holland, NY and Olean,NY.
Route 16 is a pretty straight and flat road, but they have a lot of head-ons between Machias and Franklinvillle,NY. Look out for aggressive drivers in that stretch. There are a lot of parallel rural routes to 16 that have more interesting scenery and are more fun on motorcycle than RT 16.

Cuba, NY has a cheese factory and a pretty lake that Canadians like. But that might be a little out of the way.

Holiday Valley Ski Resort and Golf is in Ellicott, NY. That might be interesting to visit and it is only about 20-30 miles from your destination. Ellicott is a nice little town.
What are some of the other roads that I should be looking at if route 16 is just average? Route 240 of Glennwood East Condord/Vaughn/W Valley?

Thanks for the other recommendations too. I'm guessing the tulips might be over by the time I'm there (May 18th-20th), but Cuba might fit into the trip... We like cheese! The train ride sounds interesting. I'll add it to my list along with the Zippo museum and see if my fellow travellers are up to it (so far my daughter said no to the Zippo museum, who knew little girls weren't interested in lighters?)
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
jbdesigns
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Rte 240 is much better than rte 16. It is more curvy and interesting. Ellicotville has nice dining and a great brewery to eat at.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
HotChilliColdBeer
Human Swizzle Stick

Oddometer: 283
Two words

Anchor Bar.

Charlie
HotChilliColdBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
machinebuilder
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChilliColdBeer View Post
Anchor Bar.

Charlie
+10........the original wings, My Mom remembers going there in the late 40's

It's been a while since i was up there, and 30 years since I lived there.

Teds red hots, on Seneca in South Buffalo

There is a place on Ellicott Creek in N. Tonawanda has really good Beef on Weck, I can't remember the name.

THe Zippo Lighter Factory is in Bradford, PA....supposed to have a good museum
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
sherpa_pat OP
Adventurer

Looks like I'll have some decisions to make on where to eat!

I've altered my map to take route 240. Now I'm glad I decided to reach out on this. I was a bit shy...
Old 10-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
sherpa_pat OP
Adventurer

I just wanted to take a moment to thank those who gave me some advice. I know it was a long time ago now, but you can read my ride report here: http://sherpapat.wordpress.com/2013/10/06/allegheny/

I figured it might be helpful for those who happen to stumble upon this post doing some trip research.