Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Some Assembly Required
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #151
4play
Next?

Oddometer: 2,294
In hindsight, I think I should have brought the side farther forward but we'll see what they say.
The ABS is pretty easy to play with.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM   #152
jdrocks
Gravel Runner

Oddometer: 3,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4play View Post
In hindsight, I think I should have brought the side farther forward but we'll see what they say.
The ABS is pretty easy to play with.

fit the fender liner as tight as possible, or the top side will be loaded with dust and mud. make an ABS block off plate for the front of the swingarm to prevent mud and gravel being thrown forward. careful with the CPU mounting, without it, that moto ain't goin' anywhere.

you'll like the extra fuel. supposed to be a 5 gal tank, but i put 5.46 in mine after running it dry last year...don't ask. the ER6 tank is supposed to be 4.2 gal, and i did manage to put 4.19 in that one once. the extra range with the larger tank is welcome.
jdrocks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #153
4play
Next?

The seat is in the mail to Fisher. Here is the inner fender, the 3/16" ABS is nice. I basically cut it to size, clamped it in place, put some 1/2" OD hose on top of the tire & heated the ABS with the shock bottomed out. Let it cool & it's done!

I'm going to add a couple of tabs to support it near the computer. As JD said, it ain't going nowhere without the computer. The rear fender will be made of aluminum, I have it laid out, very basic, utilitarian, I.m still thinking about "the look" but my fab skills only go so far...
Old 05-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #154
4play
Next?

Looking at wind management

Not very pretty, but I belive it would be functional in ABS plastic.
It would have rounded corners not creases like the cardboard

Any better ideas?
Old 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #155
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,551
Quote:
Any better ideas?
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #156
dentvet OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
SJ, What is the best combo of lights you offer for running that dual setup?

4play, i was going to suggest that you peruse the kitchen trash can section at home depot to see if there was a pre made fairing with stiffeners already to go in the size you showed in your picture. After seeing sanjohs option, i would be embarrassed to suggest that

Thinja is looking great from your hard work and ideas. Is your seat back yet?
dentvet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #157
4play
Next?

Hello Dave,
Yeah, I hate to spend the money for the light, but I do like the fairing they designed. I use the 8" light on my smaller bike for night rides here so I already had it.
I've had alot of fun playing with it, but I'm really anxius to start riding it.

You did a really good job getting it to suit your needs, I'm tweeking your start a bit to suit my somewhat unusual requirements. Must be a reasonably capable long range trail/exploration bike, a reasonably comfortable two up weekend cafe cruiser & be something I will enjoy riding alone. It may even be used for some work commuting. My plan is to leave the engine/exhaust completely stock which is weird for me condsidering my 450 is 600cc's

The seat is still at Fisher's, I told them no rush. I'm still working out a rear fender & I'm re doing the sprocket/wheel spacer to have a boss fit on the 52T KTM Ironman sprocket I already had. Other than that. I'm ready to ride!

I weighed the bike with everything except the rear fender & seat. It's right at 401lbs without fuel, so I'm expecting ~450lbs full of fuel ready to ride, more than I hoped, but still 100lbs lighter than a comparable KTM990 with suspension that I believe is just as good as a stock 990. I ordered .54kg front springs which should give the front forks a little boost.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #158
4play
Next?

Rolled it outside to run it for a bit. I'm getting anxious to ride

Old 05-12-2013, 03:59 PM   #159
4play
Next?

After a failed attempt to bend some .090" aluminum into a rear fender using my welding table, I spotted a trailer fender for nearly free. It had a rolled edge on one side & a flange on the other so I cut a couple of pieces & welded them together, that let me get exactly the width I needed anyway.

It's not real pretty, but it should keep the muck of me & more importantly the Mrs. The tail light/brake light also has amber led's that are the turn signals. It's very bright, but I'll probably add a couple of led's on the saddlebag mounts later..

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 PM   #160
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentvet View Post
SJ, What is the best combo of lights you offer for running that dual setup?

4play, i was going to suggest that you peruse the kitchen trash can section at home depot to see if there was a pre made fairing with stiffeners already to go in the size you showed in your picture. After seeing sanjohs option, i would be embarrassed to suggest that

Thinja is looking great from your hard work and ideas. Is your seat back yet?
Most folks go with a pair of Model 60s. A ridiculous amount of light.

The fairing has far exceeded my expectations it provides great wind protection, without buffeting, while not getting in the way in the knarly stuff.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #161
4play
Next?

Rear Fender & Tail light done

On one hand I wish the radius on the fender was smaller, on the other I like that it's tucked up out of harms way.

I caved & ordered Sanjo's fairing after a buddy of mine wanted to buy my 8" light. I'll likely have to redo my gauge & turn signal mount, but I'm thinking I'm really going to like the fairing.

Other than that & the sprocket/wheel spacer I think I'm ready for a ride once the seat gets back
Old 05-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #162
4play
Next?

Finally got around to making the passenger peg brackets & This position looks pretty good for the Wolfman brackets.

The underbelly exhaust sure does let you keep a narrow bike

Old 05-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #163
4play
Next?

Test Ride!

I machined the sprocket spacer this morning & went for a test ride

I like it!

All I lack is the seat, and what ever I need to do to the gauges when my ADVMonster fairing/headlight gets here.

The 52T rear sprocket feels very good, my math say's it pretty close to stock when you take into account the tall 18" rear tire.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #164
kajj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Looking good
kajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:47 AM   #165
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,265
Quote:

The 52T rear sprocket feels very good, my math say's it pretty close to stock when you take into account the tall 18" rear tire.
Awesome job!

gearingcommander.com should help you get the gearing exact. If I used your specs, and assume you have a 140/80 18 rear tire, 15t front sprocket and the 52 out back, you are gearing it down slightly.

Stock 5500 rpm in 6th= 73.4 MPH
Yours 5500 RPM in 6th= 70.9 MPH

Theoretically.

I went down 1 tooth up front and used a 47 out back which was almost identical to the stock gearing. I have an old 47 sprocket which is what I want to test so I'll decided if I like it and order the new rear shortly probably close to the ratio you have. Did yours seem geared low enough for dual sporting?

Nessmuk
sailah is online now   Reply With Quote