Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Face plant
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-06-2013, 06:33 PM   #16
benzbaron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
May 2010 I had just changed the muffler on the Blast to a real quite muffler, well coming home I down shift and rev the engine to get up my steep driveway. Well I didn't realize I had the engine at such high rpm and I let the clutch out and splat. The bike took off and I dumped in the driveway hard. 3 metatarsals broke and one thumb broken. Oh the joys.

Just take it easy and don't be in a rush to try and walk on the foot. Just give it time. I dumped in May and think I my foot was out of the cast and into moon boot in August or September but I don't remember it that well. My two biggest friends were cold ice for my poor foot, and cold beer for my head. Oh and once you get it heeled up and out of a cast putting the foot in the ocean/cold stream feels nice.
benzbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #17
Toto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
There is only one good compartment syndrome to have, and it is not in your foot...unless you are really lucky

BTW, hope your feeling better soon
Toto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:35 PM   #18
Zane Neher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Never had afoot injury from a failed wheelie but my knees aen't what they use to be. ACL, MCL and miniscus in both kness were murdered.

I did stub my pinkie toe yesterday and felt like I should end it all, can't imagine how you feel.
Zane Neher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #19
Wintyfresh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I suffered a lisfranc dislocation a little over a decade ago. My foot was held together with pins while it healed, and I was on crutches for months. While the whole thing was vastly unpleasant, the good news is I don't have any remaining hardware in my foot and now only think of it when the weather's about to change.
Wintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #20
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
They're fun!!

Sorry to hear about your injury, you'll probably heal just fine.

I had a school bus pull out in front of me 3 days shy of my 21st. birthday. Severe crush injury both feet, severe bilateral sprain both knees, and severe cervical strain.

Thank God I was a rock solid 225 lbs. Amazingly, no breaks, just a MESS O' PAIN!! Totally ruined my birthday plans too!

The EMT warned me that my injuries were severe enough to warrant amputation, I told the doctor to kiss my ass, if it falls off fine, otherwise don't F with it.

They had to drill through my big toe to relieve the pressure, my buddy said it was the size of a baseball.

The moral of the story is I still have both legs, and drive big trucks for a living.

There's a reason they call it 'practicing' medicine. The doctor doesn't know everything.

Despite the above fact, do MOST of what he suggests, unless you really feel it would be detrimental to your well being.

I wish you a speedy recovery, and get back on the proverbial horse, don't let this stop you, I did for a few years, and regret it.

HAPPY THOUGHTS FOR YOUR RECOVERY!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cale_Kat View Post
And the Ugly Foot Pic Award goes to...

I honestly don't know why anyone does wheelies.

Sorry about the lye, hope you heal quickly and ride again soon. Good of you to stay with you girlfriend, your heart, at least, is in the right place.
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #21
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Oddometer: 298
Again, it's really good to hear peoples' recovery stories! Gives me hope. I intend to follow the doc's orders and my physical therapy regime (when not clearly detrimental to me) with a fervor.

I was released from the hospital a couple of days ago, after a second surgery to close up the fasciotomy incisions. It is SO GOOD to be home. In fact, the experience of the wreck, hospitalization and surgeries made the simplest most everyday things so precious and lovely: hanging out with a friend, good food, a night of sound sleep, privacy and my own space, human contact, getting to the bathroom alone, showering...I'll never be able to take that stuff for granted so easily again.

I've got one of those knee scooters that a friend found on craigslist, and it's hilarious but helps me get around the house. The support from my friends and family has been overwhelming, and has made this a far better experience that it would otherwise have been.

I also got a few more of my girlfriend's iphone photos.

Here are my boots after the drop--the left one doesn't have a mark on it, but the foot has multiple breaks and dislocations inside

Here's what the foot looked like when we first wiggled it out of the boot

X-rays (note that the 3rd metatarsal is completely obscured by the broken 1st and second metatarsal which crossed over it)

Compartment syndrome setting in

Healthy foot/busted foot comparison, Day 6 post injury (toenail polish courtesy of my friend Holly)

It's gonna be a long road to healing but I'm glad to be further along it. I am strictly ordered to be off the foot utterly for 8 weeks--the K-wires with the external heads will remain in at least until that point. And even slightly bumping or resting those against anything....gaaaa! makes me obey.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:57 PM   #22
CaptCapsize
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
For a long term perspective

I had a similar injury 44 year ago. Bought a used Honda Sunday, wrecked it Monday. I discovered you do not turn a motorcycle by turning the bars in the direction you want to turn. Unfortunately for me the MSF class was not invented for a few more years.

The injury was somewhat worst because I was regular loafers. My right foot was on the rear break and the full weight of the 350 landed on my instep. I crushed and dislocated 4 metatarsals and 3 cuneiform bones. Compartment syndrome was not as much of a problem because the fractures were compound in 3 places. The recovery was long one month in the hospital, 6 month on crutches after the first two operations and another 6 months after the third operation. For a while I had 2 pins 4 inches long holding the foot together. They fused the 7 crushed bones into one piece and removed all hardware. Fortunately Orthopedic surgery techniques have improved over the past 4 decades.

Oh yeah I did have a helmet on or I wouldn't be writing this, because a roadside post punched a hole through it's top, but not my skull.

Net result; It took a long time to heal, but now I; snow ski, windsurf, sail Hobie cats, mountain bike, and backpack. Last year I took the MSF class and started to ride again after 43 year of wondering what I was missing. I am still a stupid noob.... but I am learning as much as I can from this and other sites. Thanks for sharing the how of you accident.

Keep the faith, you will recover, hopefully quickly.
CaptCapsize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #23
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Hi Rex, glad to hear you're out and progressing. Hospital repairs and care are great but that's no place to linger. May all those little bones, nerves and tissues knit well quickly.

I once suffered the inconvenience of a severed toe which my pop's partner reattached after removing portions of crushed bone. The doc and staff were having an animated discussion of his recent fishing trip while I sat there like a spectator, wondering if he wasn't a little too aggressive with all that bone snipping and whether the toe could actually be saved. He assured me yes as it was stitched together then the drill came out and he quickly bored a hole down the axis of the toe and inserted a stainless rod that protruded a good 3/8". They put a little hard plastic ball on the end of the rod instead of those little orange sleeves you have.

I was soon quite mobile with a walking boot but that little rod and ball sticking out the end of my toe was a definite hazard. I fabricated a foam and duct tape cap with a recess for the pin that attached securely to the foot/boot. Later I chopped off the end of a shoe and fab'd a clown toe for that until they pulled the pin.

Your situation is a lot more complicated but I think you'll be able to rig up some protection for those wire ends. Clean and comfortable protection will help you keep the repairs safe during the scooter phase. Won't be long and you'll be drifting corners and jumping curbs (just kidding, be careful).

In the mean time, have your good toes show their hurt buddies everything they can do. Even if it's awhile before they can start wiggling much they'll get the idea by watching. That foot is loaded with nerves that need healing and retraining. Feet are smart, we rarely give them the credit they deserve.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #24
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
My wife had the Lisfranc dislocation of 3 toes after our new puppy tripped her. She was out of commission for quite awhile and it took a good year for her to get back into sport type activities. She still has pain in the foot and it constantly affects her and it's been two years. Sucky type of injury.

While the scooter helped at first, eventually she needed something to help provide more mobility. She got one of these: http://iwalk-free.com/ Made a huge difference although it's damn goofy looking.

Hope your physical therapy goes well.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #25
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Madre de dios, the stories!

I don't feel alone in this anymore, that's for sure!

That not-crutch contraption looks mighty interesting, though I'm still digging my silly scooter. It never fails to crack up friends who haven't seen one before.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:27 PM   #26
B1
Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer: 3,028
ouch, i know how you feel! i did four of my five metatarsals and a badly dislocated toe a few years back. like you, i had a good set of boots (TCX Oxtars) but the entire weight of DR650 came down hard on the side of the boot.

being the right foot i couldn't drive and went stir crazy for five weeks alone in an apartment. thankfully they pulled the pins out and took the cast off at the five week mark. ah, the pain... when the cast came off even the air passing over the skin was a bit painful, so when they started pulling those pins out it was hard not to scream.

i was hobbling around the next day and started jogging two weeks later. luckily i have no after effects now, but it was interesting that there was some internal bruising that took more than a year to disappear. no doubt you will find the same thing,just hope its a 100% recovery for you!
Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #27
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanishing Point View Post
I've been meaning to learn how to wheelie. After seeing that I think I'll just stick to leaning in corners.
No shit... My biggest trick is to come home not broken...

Hope yer healing out there...
Old 05-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #28
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 886
S!O!B! That looks like it really hurt.
I broke my ankle in '90 and had four surgeries after about 2 years apart each. Three 6 week no weight bearing periods.
The most difficult part, for me, was getting the calf muscle back (looked like grannies tricep writing on a chalkboard) and then remembering to walk without a limp. That is, after getting off the pain meds and getting to take a healthy dump.

Do not rest, on crutches, with your weight on your hands or armpits. That could cause other problems. If on crutches, use them to work out the rest of your body and work on balance. It pays dividends later.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #29
Rex Nemo OP
horizon calling

Good tip on the crutches. I'm weaning myself off morphine, down to 15 mg before I go to bed. The pain is definitely worse at night.

Got the x-rays emailed to me by one of the cool residents who performed my surgery. Here's the before x-rays again:

And here are some after shots, with the K-wires drilled in, holding it all together:

The K-wires will remain in place for the next 6-8 weeks, and I'm feeling much more aligned now. As B1 mentioned, removal is likely to be intense, but I'm looking forward to that milestone.

Up to nearly 2-mile jaunts on the knee scooter, too. I get some really strange looks, but oh is it ever good to get out of the house!

Rex Nemo screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 04:53 PM
Rex Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
psmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
virtual foot balm

Hey Rex, just checking in. I know this is a tough phase in the healing process. Have some electronic foot balm, it's useful for your sole and soul. Apply liberally and repeat as necessary.

You will heal and there are opportunities to come.
psmcd is offline   Reply With Quote