Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #331
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer View Post
Can you ride another bike from the dealer and compare?
Haven't asked yet. It might get to that on the next visit. Next appointment is the dealer taking the forks apart to check for the bouncing issue. Will have them look further into the vibration issue.
cory1848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #332
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by cory1848 View Post
Haven't asked yet. It might get to that on the next visit. Next appointment is the dealer taking the forks apart to check for the bouncing issue. Will have them look further into the vibration issue.
The last time I changed my front tire I discovered that I had forgotten to tighten the pinch bolts. After reassembly I tighten them this time and I have some of that bouncy bounce on the front end. I tightened my stem head bearings and that took a lot of it away. I may loosen the whole front end again, bounce it, and re-tighten, see what I get.

I thought my wheel got pulled out of true but it's not that, there isn't more than 32nd of an inch run out.

I checked my vibes between 4 and 5K again on the way home and I'm just not finding it. If I'm hard on the gas and pass through that range I can feel it a tiny bit. But not enough to have noticed it before. If you're getting real vibes you've got something else going on.
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #333
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
The vibes I get are very noticeable. Maybe it will go away with miles but I am not sure. The bike is geared to be working in the 4-6k range and the vibes make it unpleasant. I am going to keep pushing it with the dealer so it's all documented in case something happens later down the road. It's tough when the dealer says that it's a characteristic of the bike or there isn't much they can do. From what I am hearing that's not the case. Just wish it was an easy fix.
I have to ask, what tires are you on? Are you on a set of the Deathwings? What are your tire pressures?

If you are looking at a fork teardown, there has to be something else wrong IMHO. I would ride another Tiger and see if you notice it on that one. If you do, it's the bike and deal with it or sell it.

If you do not notice it, well, that is another conversation all together.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:50 AM   #334
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
I have to ask, what tires are you on? Are you on a set of the Deathwings? What are your tire pressures?

If you are looking at a fork teardown, there has to be something else wrong IMHO. I would ride another Tiger and see if you notice it on that one. If you do, it's the bike and deal with it or sell it.

If you do not notice it, well, that is another conversation all together.

JG
Running on the pirellies that came with it. 36/42 pressures. Not wanting to sell it. I love the bike. This is the first bike I have bought new so these are things that I expect to be fixed from the dealer. Could I deal with the buzzing? Yes I could but from what I hear from others, this is a sign something isn't right. With the forks there is definitely something not right.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #335
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,628
Quote:
Running on the pirellies that came with it. 36/42 pressures. Not wanting to sell it. I love the bike. This is the first bike I have bought new so these are things that I expect to be fixed from the dealer. Could I deal with the buzzing? Yes I could but from what I hear from others, this is a sign something isn't right. With the forks there is definitely something not right.
As to the front end "bounce": my money would be on the steering head bearings. Mine loosened up twice. I took it to the dealer and they refused to warranty it, claiming it was a service item and not a manufacturer problem. Ass clowns. Anyway, I did it myself and the bounce went away. I've decided that if I have to keep tightening them up, then I will replace the factory ball bearings with a set of tapered roller bearings.

Secondly, I believe my bike has that vibration you described, although it doesn’t really bother me overly. I think it's caused by a lean spot in the fuel mapping. IIRC, the EPA has a test that includes running the engine at half of the redline, which is roughly where the vibs are at. I would ask the dealer to load the Arrow pipe tune and then try it to see what happens to the vibrations. It will only take them half a shake and can be put back to stock in nothing flat with no harm done.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #336
cory1848
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
As to the front end "bounce": my money would be on the steering head bearings. Mine loosened up twice. I took it to the dealer and they refused to warranty it, claiming it was a service item and not a manufacturer problem. Ass clowns. Anyway, I did it myself and the bounce went away. I've decided that if I have to keep tightening them up, then I will replace the factory ball bearings with a set of tapered roller bearings.

Secondly, I believe my bike has that vibration you described, although it doesn’t really bother me overly. I think it's caused by a lean spot in the fuel mapping. IIRC, the EPA has a test that includes running the engine at half of the redline, which is roughly where the vibs are at. I would ask the dealer to load the Arrow pipe tune and then try it to see what happens to the vibrations. It will only take them half a shake and can be put back to stock in nothing flat with no harm done.
Is it more than just tightening the steering head nut? I checked torque on that nut and set it to 90nm. If its more than that then I will have to tear into it more.

On fuel mapping. Have to look into that as well. There is a good swing of people that have the vibe issue and don't have it all. If the map is the same for everyone shouldn't everyone have vibe issues?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #337
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Is it more than just tightening the steering head nut? I checked torque on that nut and set it to 90nm. If its more than that then I will have to tear into it more.

On fuel mapping. Have to look into that as well. There is a good swing of people that have the vibe issue and don't have it all. If the map is the same for everyone shouldn't everyone have vibe issues?
You have to remove the top triple clamp to get to the steering head bearing nuts. There are 2 of them, one applies force to the bearings and the other is a locking nut. They have a specific torque setting, which I forget; however, since they are ball bearings the torque is not overly critical. Snug works. That's one of the reasons why manufacturers like them because they are quick and easy to install and set on an factory assembly line.

You'll need something along this line to do the adjustment.
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0029/

Vibrations do vary for a lot of reasons, including rider sensitivity. Vibrations can be caused by loose nuts or bolts in places that are buried deep inside the bike and cause weird harmonics throughout the bike and are felt by the rider. It can be quite annoying and hard to find.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #338
T
Caffeinated

Oddometer: 5,141
For those that like to do most of their maintenance at home, the Dealertool can help get rid of those annoying fault lights and service reminders (you guys knew that already I'm sure).

I had removed the tank to change plugs and air filter. After re-assembly I had a Check Engine Light. Tiger didn't like something about this process even though everything was reconnected.

I also had been living with the little "wrench" since I change my own oil.

In steps Dealertool. Connect once and get a 30 digit serial number, email to them and they send you the ECU code to get you in. Seems like a step that can be eliminated, but they have some reason ($$).

Little wrench gone and upon restarting check engine light off.

Overall a fairly user friendly product and at the current exchange rate it ran me $116.00 US.

I have a TuneU cable in the mail ($20). I'll let you know how that works too.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #339
wally_
n00b

Oddometer: 3
So I picked up a brand spanking new '13 XC on 4/20 and less than two weeks (about 600 miles) it started the whole stalling/not holding idle, then surging at idle issues that others seem to have had. Probably the stepper motor is what my internet sleuthing found, dealer said the same when I brought it in today, and mentioned that they've had a few Tigers come back with similar issues. Then they gave me a BMW S1000RR for a loaner. That's what happens when you bring doughnuts to the service techs I guess.
wally_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #340
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,393
Went in my local dealer yesterday to see about getting my OEM Adventure Tank Bag replaced that had a failed zipper. He called me back this morning getting more info for the claims form and said he found a service bulletin / recall notice on my bike for "droopy turn signals" and said he'd have the parts in to fix that by Friday. I haven't noticed my turn signals having erectile dysfunction disorder, but if they are willing to put new ones on for free, why not... Anyone else had droopy turn signals or had some replaced under this recall?
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #341
live2ridetahoe
RN

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Went in my local dealer yesterday to see about getting my OEM Adventure Tank Bag replaced that had a failed zipper. He called me back this morning getting more info for the claims form and said he found a service bulletin / recall notice on my bike for "droopy turn signals" and said he'd have the parts in to fix that by Friday. I haven't noticed my turn signals having erectile dysfunction disorder, but if they are willing to put new ones on for free, why not... Anyone else had droopy turn signals or had some replaced under this recall?
It's a common problem and mentioned several times in this thread already.

JG
live2ridetahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #342
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by live2ridetahoe View Post
It's a common problem and mentioned several times in this thread already.

JG
Sorry. Been too busy riding my Tiger to read ever post in every thread. I'll try harder to keep up and be a better virtual adventurer...
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #343
RedBean25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Sorry. Been too busy riding my Tiger to read ever post in every thread. I'll try harder to keep up and be a better virtual adventurer...

Yeah, you better. I found out about the recall when one of my turn signal fell off while riding. I called the dealer and they said "oh yeah, you are part of the recall. Bring it in and we'll take care of it". Fixed in a few minutes after stopping by the dealer last Friday.
RedBean25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 AM   #344
Kawidad
Beastly Adventurer

I just had one break and it took the dealer several weeks to get the parts and then have time for me to bring it in.

Anyway, I asked if I could have the old ones for spare parts. They refused and said they had to throw them away because of legal liability.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #345
RedBean25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
I just had one break and it took the dealer several weeks to get the parts and then have time for me to bring it in.

Anyway, I asked if I could have the old ones for spare parts. They refused and said they had to throw them away because of legal liability.
Your dealer sucks.
RedBean25 is offline   Reply With Quote