Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #16
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon Black View Post
Looks like I'm going to Boston now. A friend told me about some work opportunities there and apparently his couch is free to surf!

We here call it Bawstin!
SPOT Tracker is LIVE
Stan Dalone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:50 PM   #17
Neon Black OP
Supertramp

Oddometer: 24
The Bangkok Fiasco

I was thinking about writing all about what happened to me in Thailand. I started to write. I found the recorded phone conversations where my employer threatened to have people come to my apartment and kill me. Listening to those recordings put a feeling in my stomach that I hven't felt since the days I dropped everything I worked so hard for and left my home in Nakhonsawan, just to find a gun in my stomach in an alley in Siam, and having every bit of my savings, the rest of what I had EARNED, taken from me in a matter of seconds. I don't want to go through that again, not the thought, not the emotions, none of it. I refuse to make myself re-live that ordeal again.

The bottom line is it happened. I don't care if anyone believes that or not. Truthfully, what anyone else believes is none of my business anyways. I'm here to share my current escapades. And to be honest, I've had to re-live that story with my family and friends enough as it is. I don't mean to come off being rude or anything, but if you've ever had a gun pointed at you in angst, you know it's the most humbling experience imaginable AND, as I'm realizing now, it's nothing like one of those "close-call motorcycle crash" stories. (I do have one of those, however! A girlfriend from Cali came out to Thailand about 6 month into my stay there. We were riding through some rice fields, her on the back of my scooter, we hit a dog that ran out in front of us going about 40mph and slid a good 20 feet down the pavement! Talk about some slow-healing road rash and some dented pride on my part... The dog of course got up and walked away unscathed.)

Anyways, sorry to disappoint. But damn... now I need a smoke...

-Neon
Neon Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #18
Neon Black OP
Supertramp

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
You must have had some good English teachers in grade school, because your writing skills are excellent. It sounds like you take after the "jack of all trades" side of your family. You sound like a true adventurer, and a welcome addition to the asylum.
Thank you! That means a lot to me for you to say that, assuming you weren't being sarcastic, heh. I like to read. A lot. And I would like to write something that someone else might enjoy reading someday.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #19
patmo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:
I like to read. A lot. .......And I would like to write something that someone else might enjoy reading someday.

I can relate.......seems I'm only really content when I am in the midst of reading a couple of books. I usually start one, read it for a bit, leave it downstairs, and then pick up another one that I leave by the bed. Always like to have a book within easy reach.

Never have had the desire to write the "next great American novel", but even as a kid liked writing song lyrics, and now as an adult will sometimes write some poetry......usually about riding and traveling....that I have shared with no one but my wife.

I enjoy reading your posts.
patmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:19 AM   #20
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
Yes, you write well but "high country" might be off the mark a bit when attributing literary skills to the jack of all trades people. Not to make this about me but I'm one of those (a relatively rare species mind you) that's been on both sides of campus. Having worked for many years in tech ed(before that I paid my dues via skilled training & work) as both a hands on, greasy guy & as the other end of the building counselor/admin guy(with degrees to match the job) I can tell you that almost never do the "two ends of the building" meet in that way.
Back to you, Neon. As one that's really been around the block I find you an interesting guy. Your intellectual curiosity,willingness to do the "dirty fingernail jobs" & knack for writing make for a nice combination with the travel lust side of you. A latter day Jack London? When the time comes(I hope you find this part) that you are finally able to set long range goals I wish you much happiness. I always told my 3 sons you pay your dues now and reap the benefits later. Those dues can sometimes mean boring sessions in the classroom- that can be part of the dues. Find what works for you.
Maybe save some more $$$ & find an interesting writers workshop(there are several around) and test that water? Also, if the "greasy side of life" holds appeal, don't be afraid to "go there" and being able to write is ok in many fields of work. I've told lots of "smart young people" that were searching direction (as a career counselor for many years) that we don't need dumb asses building our houses or fixing our stuff! I'll avoid what I might say about the drugs & boozing but find a way to own your destiny...
enjoy the ride...
Reading: I'll have a National Geo magazine in the library, a book by my bed & a Smithsonian magazine & a MC magazine by my chair to fill in the crappy commercials on non DVR TV...
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:58 AM   #21
Neon Black OP
Supertramp

Just for the sake of clarity, I believe when High Country Herb made the "Jack of all Trades" remark, he was referring to the numerous jobs and different types of work I do to keep myself afloat. The compliment on my writing just happened to be close on hand.

Today is a cold one in Tennessee (at least for this California boy). I think I'm gonna hop in my coveralls and go see what I can do about that speedo. Also, there is something I just HAVE to share with somebody: On this family farm we have a bit of a freak of nature being raised... Actually, more like 6 or 7 freaks of nature... Let me make some coffee and do my morning rounds and I'll see if I can't post some pictures of these abominations of God.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,139
Craigslist jobs in most cities will have ESL opportunities and sales jobs.
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #23
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Just for the sake of clarity, I believe when High Country Herb made the "Jack of all Trades" remark, he was referring to the numerous jobs and different types of work I do to keep myself afloat. The compliment on my writing just happened to be close on hand.

Today is a cold one in Tennessee (at least for this California boy). I think I'm gonna hop in my coveralls and go see what I can do about that speedo. Also, there is something I just HAVE to share with somebody: On this family farm we have a bit of a freak of nature being raised... Actually, more like 6 or 7 freaks of nature... Let me make some coffee and do my morning rounds and I'll see if I can't post some pictures of these abominations of God.
Chupacabre' ?
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #24
Neon Black OP
Supertramp

New life on the farm!

One of the farm cats had her litter in the chicken coop. One of the chickens decided to take it upon herself to help momma kitty raise the little ones! Most adorable thing ever! When momma kitty goes out to hunt for food (or whatever cats do) the surrogate momma chicken just sits on all the kittens! Oh mah GAWD its just too cute! But I think these cats are going to grow up a bit confused...

There's a lesson here in interracial/gay couples raising kids, but I'll let y'all think about that on your own.

-Neon

Edit: These are the "freaks of nature" I was talking about. I was just being silly though.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #25
kantuckid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,355
Quote:

I had the "jack thing" as your uncle, pardon me, perhaps him & his nephew? When I think of a "jack" type person(I've been around more than a few & after many careers I might even qualify?) I think of many jobs in ones repertoire ,all done with skill, not semi-skilled or labor, thus they are beyond mundane tasks such as roofing , etc. as you mention ...Not to belittle any kind of work-I think all work is noble!!!
Enjoy the ride-after this month of rain slows down.
I've kept a chicken flock for many years & never thought of cats(I don't keep cats!) & chickens as compatible-whatsoever!!!!
"If I had my life to live over,I'd dare to make more mistakes next time...I'd relax,I'd limber up.I'd be sillier than this trip, take fewer things seriously, I would take more chances... take more trips...climb more mountains...swim more rivers...eat more ice cream." Jorge Luis Borges, at age 85
kantuckid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #26
Neon Black OP
Supertramp

Boston Calling

I made it to the east coast! I rode into Boston last Thursday and my trip (so far) is completed. I've made it across this amazing and huge country of ours and I can honestly say I've never had so much fun on the road in my entire life.

From Tennessee I went up into Virginia and got on the Blue Ridge parkway at Roanoke. That was ridiculous, to say the least. So many amazing and scary views from the sides of these giant mountains (the beginning of the Appalachians if I'm not mistaken) that looked off into parts of the Virginian mountain ranges and valleys. I slept just off the trail for two nights and rode probably five or six hundred miles a day, literally riding from dawn to dusk, harder than I have ever ridden. It was legit dope rad sick fuckin' sweet, I feel like I've finally completed what I set out to do back in February!

I didn't have a camera so I never really got to take any pictures, but that to me just makes the whole experience all that much more special, personal, and for my own health I really needed that introspective experience.

When I crossed the Hudson in New York on my way to Mass, I finally decided to get on an interstate (Highway 90 aka the Mass. Pkwy) since it was the fastest way into Boston and the closest route to get to my friends' place. My bike handled the last 170 miles on that highway like a fucking dream, fully surpassing my expectations! She held a constant speed for extended periods, got me going when I needed to move, and kept flying solid all the way up to the rush hour traffic that plagues Boston in the late afternoon.

As I sit on this couch that is, for the time being, my home Baby Girl sits parked down the road and I couldn't be more proud of her. From Texas to Boston, there wasn't a single mechanical problem whatsoever.

I've been lucky enough to have already secured a job with a catering company that works all around the greater Boston area, and I'll be starting later this week. On top of that, I have also found several ESL Teaching opportunities in the area that I am qualified for. And two of the jobs have already responded to my cover letters/ resumes wanting me to submit further application information.

So life has been good to me lately, and I am a happy clam. Especially the fact that I am with two amazing friends who I went to high school with back in Nor Cal. Boston is a cool city with lots of younger people and pretty girls, I think I can see myself posting up here for a while.

Best of luck to everyone on their adventures, I think that for the time being this adventure of mine has come to a close. Next time I ride will be back to the west coast and South to Argentina or Guatemala to continue teaching, and next time I'll bring a camera for you guys

Big love to our great earth and all its critters!
-Neon Black

P.S.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #27
Stan Dalone
Gotta get somma dat

Oddometer: 1,154
. Welcome to New England.

Ya justa gotta learn to say "pahk da cah in havad yahd!"
SPOT Tracker is LIVE
Stan Dalone is online now   Reply With Quote