ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Ridiculous streetbikes with 6 CPUs and too much horsepower (1050/1190/1290cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #3136
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
They do. I rode it this morning.
And your review is ?
Old 05-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #3137
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
I also test rode the new GS.
I prefer the GS.
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:45 AM   #3138
AdventureLeo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
I just got one of the last 300 Rs ones in Germany! Can't wait to hit the road.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:55 AM   #3139
umitc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikoktm View Post
Hey Umitc, I just notice the same thing this morning!. And I couldn't find were the contact area is located...
I guess the plastic guide.
umitc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #3140
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
You might try one of the oversized side stand "foot prints". You could add a couple of spacers between the plates and probably gain a half an inch (mm's?) Wider foot print and longer length. Both good things.
Yes, I know that you are correct on both points, but for now, we're just using a nice flat Croatian Rock we picked up along the way....SFSG. The stand performs fine with the bike unloaded, but with a full load of luggage it's a bit dodgy.
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 AM   #3141
luckygrownup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
A reason for this would be greatly appreciated. I ride a GSA, but in my mind always thought a KTM 990 would be a better bike for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPiA View Post
I also test rode the new GS.
I prefer the GS.
luckygrownup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:51 AM   #3142
hubilado
Motoquiero

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Maybe I missed this, but what is your fuel economy on this trip (overall or typical)? Thanks for your updates and whetting our appetites waiting for the US launch!

-dman
We haven't actually accurately measured the fuel mileage....supposed we should have, especially at $10/gallon! , but we haven't. I can say, however, that it gets way better mileage than our 950. We've done quite a lot of days of well over 200 miles on a tank without hitting reserve.
hubilado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #3143
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
A reason for this would be greatly appreciated. I ride a GSA, but in my mind always thought a KTM 990 would be a better bike for me.
I rode the std 1190, not the R.
The 1190 is a great bike, the GS just felt better to me.
I got off the 1190 thinking, "that was nice", and walked away.
I got off the GS thinking "I want one".
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:04 AM   #3144
okeanis1234
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Hey all!!!i get my new 1190 adventure on monday,and i ordered an Akrapovic,too.the dealer said to me that the new exhaust doesn't need a software upgrade to the bike,although as i know from other bikes,the exhaust is always combined with a new software.is that true?has anyone installed an Akrap with or without new software???
okeanis1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:20 AM   #3145
AdventureLeo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeanis1234 View Post
Hey all!!!i get my new 1190 adventure on monday,and i ordered an Akrapovic,too.the dealer said to me that the new exhaust doesn't need a software upgrade to the bike,although as i know from other bikes,the exhaust is always combined with a new software.is that true?has anyone installed an Akrap with or without new software???
There is no need for another mapping with the Akrap. We discussed that matter in another German KTM forum.
Without the DB eater it's probably necessary - but with the Akro for the 1190 this isn't possible to remove the DB eater as easy anyhow.

Greetings

AdventureLeo screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 07:33 AM
AdventureLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #3146
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowFinn View Post
...The worst part with the 1190 is the turn indicator switch....
That sucks-- crossing it off my list right now!

Thanks for the report-- ditto to everyone else that's providing first hand experience.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 AM   #3147
Tiggersteve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckygrownup View Post
If you own a GSA go ride a new GS it will surprise you how good it is, a proper modern motorcycle, punchy motor (until you ride a KTM tho) light and I imagine easy to live with,
back to the KTM, bonkers engine, goes ballistic after 5-6k an absolute blast to ride but
seat hard and made my ar#e go numb,
screen is noisy,
tried suspension in various modes and always felt too hard and cos it's electronic there is no fine adjustment, I think i would prefer standard stuff,
when "getting a shift on" it gets a bit light and a tad vague, would like to try one with michelin PR3 road tyres
I was quite dissapointed as I was really keen to try one,
these are my personal opinions of course, a friend has just bought one, has a few of the same issues which he will sort and he racks up the miles, (will use him as guinea pig) will wait and see and when the time comes I will try it again,
Tiggersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #3148
Newbusa
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Checked out the new GS recently and the base price here in Canada was 22,500,just wondering what the difference in price between the 1190 and the GS is in Europe?
Old 05-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #3149
Mugatu
Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer: 257
ktm vs. gc prices

Prices for France: the ktm 1190 adventure is listed at 13990€, and the GS LC at 15150€ (but the GS doesn't have traction control at this price, the option costs 305€... only it HAS to come with ESA - add 760€ on top).
Mugatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM   #3150
shay
reading is hard

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggersteve View Post
If you own a GSA go ride a new GS it will surprise you how good it is, a proper modern motorcycle, punchy motor (until you ride a KTM tho) light and I imagine easy to live with,
back to the KTM, bonkers engine, goes ballistic after 5-6k an absolute blast to ride but
seat hard and made my ar#e go numb,
screen is noisy,
tried suspension in various modes and always felt too hard and cos it's electronic there is no fine adjustment, I think i would prefer standard stuff,
when "getting a shift on" it gets a bit light and a tad vague, would like to try one with michelin PR3 road tyres
I was quite dissapointed as I was really keen to try one,
these are my personal opinions of course, a friend has just bought one, has a few of the same issues which he will sort and he racks up the miles, (will use him as guinea pig) will wait and see and when the time comes I will try it again,
I use a touratech screen extender which gives me zero noise or vibration. I can ride with the visor ajar at motorway speeds. The seat is firm but I've had worse, I toured france on a fireblade (954), now that had a hard seat !!

I had my 1190 at 200kph and it was rock steady and I've ridden it across some very rough roads and found the suspension to be spot on. I haven't tried the new GS so can't compare but I really like this bike. I came from a 2006 vfr which I owned from new so the upright riding position and torquey engine are a revelation.

The 23 litre tank gives a true 200 mile range, a good compromise between a GS and GS adv and service intervals are 15,000km / 10,000 miles.

Choosing a new bike is a very individual experience and that's what makes them such fun

shay is offline   Reply With Quote