Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #1
Friction275 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Need suggestions from female inmates: light/med duty women's waterproof riding boots

My wife has developed boot envy and is trying to find something similar to my Gaerne oiled balance boots in women's sizes? Is there anything like that out there?

Her requirements:
-Shin/Calf high
-Somewhat breathable material if possible
-Some deliberate ankle protection
-Decent sole, the thicker the better to help compensate for short legs on a bike
-Comfortable for riding and walking around in at stops
-yeah, and in her words "more cute than storm trooper"

I've already told her that it seems like knee high patent leather boot with a 4" heel would probably do the trick but she seems to believe there might be something else out there more appropriate.

Any suggestions from the female inmates would be appreciated.

Thanks
Friction275 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,848
My wife likes her Forma boots:

Mine are on the right, her's on the left. They are fairly soft, super comfy, are cut wide, okay protection, but not like an adventure boot like the Sidi Adventure or so.

I'd love to get a Sidi Adventure for her, but she has wide feet and the Sidis are fairly narrow, so it just might not fit.

Edit: you might get them from atomic-moto.com

My wife has size 39, we got them at a motorcycle show. These boots are generally available in smaller sizes, too, although you might have to ask the shop specifically as they might not import them normally.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,635
I've got a couple of buddies (guys) who swear by their Tour Master Solution boots. Per the 'net, the ladies version seems to get great reviews, too.

Sarah
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
SpaceManSpiff
Man of Mystery

Oddometer: 1,075
I have been researching riding boots for my GF. These Dianese look promising. Reasonable price for a Gore-tex boot. A little light in protection but thankfully lacking that storm trooper aesthetic.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/d...gore-tex-boots

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 05-10-2013, 11:47 AM   #5
motogirl25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friction275 View Post
My wife has developed boot envy and is trying to find something similar to my Gaerne oiled balance boots in women's sizes? Is there anything like that out there?

Her requirements:
-Shin/Calf high
-Somewhat breathable material if possible
-Some deliberate ankle protection
-Decent sole, the thicker the better to help compensate for short legs on a bike
-Comfortable for riding and walking around in at stops
-yeah, and in her words "more cute than storm trooper"

I've already told her that it seems like knee high patent leather boot with a 4" heel would probably do the trick but she seems to believe there might be something else out there more appropriate.

Any suggestions from the female inmates would be appreciated.

Thanks
I am also wondering about this question? I am liking the Gaerne you have...I have always worn guys mx boots over the years until my recent pair of women's Alpinstars (which I found out are worth the extra money). How do you like your Gaerne's? I have a DRZ400 and want something less MX boot stiff but still have more protection than street boots. The reviews I have found are always good. It just helps to have some extra advice from people on here before you drop that kind of money :)

2 Guys and a Girl Tackle the TAT: Part 1
motogirl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #6
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,585
BMW makes the Santiago in women's sizes. They are Goretex, very comfortable both on and off the bike and do not have a zipper (buckles). The metal toe piece is easily removable for the less menacing look your wife is likely after.

cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #7
Friction275 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for all the info.

Motogirl,

I really like the boots for the foot feel on and off the bike as well as the height since they do a great job of blocking wind and rain. However, they seem to be made for people with giant calves/cankles. I'm 6'2"/200lbs and my shins are swimming in these boots. The buckle placement is also fixed at perpendicular to the boot so when you clamp down the buckles to max tightness they don't engage at an optimal angle and tend to pop up accidentally. Hard to explain but the buckles want to be straight across from each other but since the boot flap is hinged at the bottom it opens/closes at an angle that prevents that from happening at the full range of adjustment. It seems like the designers chose cankles as the sweet spot for the adjustment in the buckles so skinny shins suffer a bit. That might be an issue for you if you are trying to find a small pair of men's boots. That being said, mine are also size US 13 so the smaller sizes may not be setup the same way.

My only other concern for the long haul is that the soles are pretty soft and I'm not sure how long they're going to last on any aggressive pegs.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
John Doo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
http://www.daytona.de/index.php?page=756

Very happy with boots from Daytona. My wife is wearing the Lady Star GTX with 3 cm extra height.
John Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
SpeedyK
Lone Rider

Oddometer: 231
If she can find a pair of TCX Sunray...
Old 06-21-2013, 08:24 PM   #10
Friction275 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Final answer

She literally tried on every set of GTX and Dainese boots and wound up falling in love with the Dainese Svelta Lady Gore-tex boots. The revzilla return policy is awesome

According to her they are ridiculously comfortable and from what I can tell they are very well put together and are perfectly for what she was looking for.