Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #3196
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guth View Post
Sadly, the bikes I have been drawn to have been sales failures for the most part. Amongst them, Honda's Hawk GT and CB-1 and kawasaki's W650.

I'm much the same way. I guess I just don't follow the mainstream when it comes to a lot of bikes, IDK. I could sit here and name a ton of bikes I'd love to have, and that were sales failures. Of course, maybe I'm one of the reasons that they were sales failures... I never bought any of them when they were offered for sale...

Although, in a way I did, after the fact. I took my H-D 48 and actually "un-lowered" it by bringing the suspension travel back up to that of another sales failure, the XL1200R Roadster. Seems the buying public wants a Sportster only if it drags its hard parts around every corner, and rides like crap. Make one that actually rides and handles decent and they stay away in droves...

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #3197
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamboa View Post
justAn order of a lil over $500 gets U free shipping if U buy less U will pay out your arse!
Go big or go home!
Old 05-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #3198
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
I took my H-D 48 and actually "un-lowered" it by bringing the suspension travel back up to that of another sales failure, the XL1200R Roadster.
blew my mind. Never considered customizing a low rider to a standard. What a great idea.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:07 PM   #3199
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post

When all is said and done, for folks who can only have ONE bike, that bike has to be a "Swiss Army Knife".
What would your epitome of Swiss Army Bike be?
Old 05-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #3200
jamboa
jamboa

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooga View Post
What would your epitome of Swiss Army Bike be?
Please keep the subject on the CB11. It's close to a swiss army knife bike but not quite...
13 CB1100F
12 Speedmaster
jamboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #3201
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAviator View Post
Most are getting around 50 +/- a percent or two.

DAMN!!! I was hoping that it was terrible so that this bike would stop tempting me!!!

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #3202
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,231
My dealer has two in stock. I must say I was impressed by the paint and chrome finishes. Very nice. I sat on one and found the seat to peg distance to be pretty tight for my 38" inseam.
Not in the market for a new bike but this CB1100 looks to be very nicely done. It was kind of a trip seeing those bikes in amongst all the other sport bikes, NCs and whatnot.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #3203
PotatoSam
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Just picked mine up today.

I'm 28 years old. I've loved the UJM bodystyle for as long as I can remember, but the Triumph Bonneville didn't really do it for me.

I've wanted the CB1100 ever since I saw a picture of it.

My old bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. That was my starter bike and I told myself I was buying my first "real bike" this year.

Loving the CB1100 so far, I have to work all weekend but at least the ride back from the dealer was fun.

The bike is so smooth and easy but with plenty power on tap. Especially coming off the tiny 500 cc Kawasaki.

I might buy the Chic fairing/windshield, but am still thinking about it.

For me, I love riding bikes but don't like the look of Harleys/cruiser bikes, sport/crotchrocket bikes, weird spaceship looking adventure bikes, or wooly mammoth Goldwing style tourers.

I've always wanted a UJM, which to me looks "like a motorcyle", with nothing extra added. But at the same time I didn't want to buy a 20+ year old bike.

I will be circling Lake Michigan in a few weeks and will try out my first ride report.

I am a happy person right now.

PotatoSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #3204
dirtdreamer50
long time rider

Oddometer: 1,026
congrats, potatosam. The 1100 IS what a UJM is suppose to be.

Someone mentioned a Swiss Army Knife, motorcycle. Years ago, UJMs were considered such, as they were used to commute, tour, take the girl out for a thrill, drag raced, road raced, and otherwise thoroughly enjoyed. Back then, frame designs were crap, suspension was crap, brakes were crap, and tires were crap, but we didn't know any better or just didn't care. We just loved riding them.

Today's 1100 has a good stable frame, decent suspension, good brakes, even ABS available, and so many tire designs available that we couldn't ever try them all.

A windshield and soft bags and go touring. Change the seat and bars and you have a cafe. ETC, ETC... Now if it was made by Victorianox, it would truly be a Swiss Army Knife. tom
Old 05-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #3205
Scoobynut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoSam View Post
Just picked mine up today.

I'm 28 years old. I've loved the UJM bodystyle for as long as I can remember, but the Triumph Bonneville didn't really do it for me.

I've wanted the CB1100 ever since I saw a picture of it.

My old bike was a Kawasaki Vulcan 500. That was my starter bike and I told myself I was buying my first "real bike" this year.

Loving the CB1100 so far, I have to work all weekend but at least the ride back from the dealer was fun.

The bike is so smooth and easy but with plenty power on tap. Especially coming off the tiny 500 cc Kawasaki.

I might buy the Chic fairing/windshield, but am still thinking about it.

For me, I love riding bikes but don't like the look of Harleys/cruiser bikes, sport/crotchrocket bikes, weird spaceship looking adventure bikes, or wooly mammoth Goldwing style tourers.

I've always wanted a UJM, which to me looks "like a motorcyle", with nothing extra added. But at the same time I didn't want to buy a 20+ year old bike.

I will be circling Lake Michigan in a few weeks and will try out my first ride report.

I am a happy person right now.
Well done, potatosam. Good to see a younger fella into this style of bike. A UJM nowadays is truly a bike that doesn't follow the crowd. Kinda of funny, really -- when I was your age they were a dime a dozen, now they're unusual.
Can't beat 'em as an all-rounder. We look forward to your Lake Michigan ride report.
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1988 Honda Hawk GT
Scoobynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #3206
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,750
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Finally had a look at one in person. It was WHITE! They only come in WHITE in Canada. Looked like a refrigerator.
Lyle
Bet it's cheap to vinyl wrap that puppy. You could have a new colour every spring for peanuts if you got the pattern figured out.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #3207
M3-SRT8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
A few more videos that show mods and different pipes:

http://www.moto-station.com/article1...-la-voix-.html

Yes. Those videos are informative.

The second one, showing the Pipemasters 4-4 exhaust from Australia, demonstrate how good a cb1100 can sound once freed from it's factory exhaust. Sweet indeed.
M3-SRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:19 PM   #3208
Guth
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
So M3-SRT8, what's the word did yours arrive?

CB1100 Forum
Guth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #3209
Dooga
Adventure Tourer

Why don't they offer it in shiny lacquer black. Red or white? OK, yes, it's Honda's colors but come on! Black is a no-brainer.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #3210
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Skysailor said: When all is said and done, for folks who can only have ONE bike, that bike has to be a "Swiss Army Knife". The CB1100 is not, and was never intended to be that. It's a nostalgic retro machine.

I disagree. Retro standards are designed to be what bikes used to be- swiss army knives. In the old days one bike did everything and I'm sure Honda will do what Triumph has done for the Bonneville- created a market for accessories to suit any and all tastes. Including those of us who ride retros as daily riders- swiss army knives.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote