User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Urban Toreador OP
Banned

Oddometer: 56
Cheap Communiqué

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the idea I'm thinking of. I really don't want to spend all my walkin around wampum on a dedicated bluetooth motorcycle specific communication device if I don't have too.

I'm thinking of using one of those cheap ten dollar earbuds with the mic inline. You see folks using them in public. My thought is putting a velcro attachment point in the chin area of my helmet for the mic and then it's just one earbud in one ear like a regular phone. I understand it's not wireless but I'm wondering if wind noise is going to be a factor.

Has anyone tried this?

My phone plan has free wireless to wireless which would make this really affordable to be able to talk with my with friends and wife while riding together. Two motorcycle specific headsets would be like $500 bucks. If this works it's only like $20 bucks.
Urban Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,852
Noise cancelling is key.
You can get a Scala Q2 teamset for pretty cheap now and even cheaper used.
You can use FRS radios or CB for fairly cheap too.
I use CB for bike to bike even then, it gets old.

You might find that you get tired of listening to people talk I know I do.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #3
Urban Toreador OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc.rhubarb View Post
Noise cancelling is key.
You can get a Scala Q2 teamset for pretty cheap now and even cheaper used.
You can use FRS radios or CB for fairly cheap too.
I use CB for bike to bike even then, it gets old.

You might find that you get tired of listening to people talk I know I do.
When you say noise canceling; do you mean for the mic or the earbud? My main use would be the ability to answer phone calls which is necessary for my business.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

The mic.
If its just for phone calls for work, look for an older Scala Rider... They can be had for next to nothing and have good noise cancelling. Before I pulled it out and told work I couldn't take calls from the bike it worked really well. The biggest complaint I got was not noise, but that I was talking too loudly.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
Urban Toreador OP
Banned

Thanks Rhubarb. I'll try to find one. I think for 10$ bucks I'll first give the earbud a shot out of curiosity. I wonder what does noise canceling. Is it the foam muff or electrical. I know for wind the foam works; kind of like the news crews.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
So you're gonna make a phone call to your wife before each ride to be able to talk with her during the said ride?

Sounds counter productive to me.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Urban Toreador OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
So you're gonna make a phone call to your wife before each ride to be able to talk with her during the said ride?

Sounds counter productive to me.
I was just using my wife as an example because she rides as well and I would be building her setup too. But essentially yes. If we needed to communicate like people would with regular CB's I would just call her. Same thing really? My phone has voice commands so I believe I could do most things hands free. I actually enjoy talking with my wife btw; that's why I married her. I never have understood guys who are with women they need to escape from. I have friends who hate their wives but are too much pussies to make a change. Life is too short IMO. I'm not a newlywed either. We've been together for over a decade.

Duster I remember those GR650's.

Urban Toreador screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 08:40 PM
Old 05-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #8
RonSJC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
I tried the "earbud" as a cheap alternative and no one could hear me over the wind noise. I found a really cheap older scala rider on craigslist and I'm amazed how well it works. Few even know I'm on a bike when I answer the phone (hands free I might add). I think the noise cancellation is both hardware and software, but it really works. My only complaint is the few times I try and listen to music there is NO bass.
RonSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #9
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
What about the Sena smh5?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Toreador View Post
I was just using my wife as an example because she rides as well and I would be building her setup too. But essentially yes. If we needed to communicate like people would with regular CB's I would just call her. Same thing really? My phone has voice commands so I believe I could do most things hands free. I actually enjoy talking with my wife btw; that's why I married her. I never have understood guys who are with women they need to escape from. I have friends who hate their wives but are too much pussies to make a change. Life is too short IMO. I'm not a newlywed either. We've been together for over a decade.

Duster I remember those GR650's.
My point had absolutely nothing to do with the underlined part, sorry if it sounded like it had.

No, my question is pretty simple; will you really fiddle with your phone (voice command using a no wind protected cheap microphone on a moving bike? Good luck!) or you'll make the call before starting the ride?

Either way, it still sounds counter productive to me.

A lot of guys tried to cheap it and "find" a way to talk to their pillion/buddy without buying the real thing...and guess what? They all finally bought the real thing after a lot of frustrations.

Try it and you'll see by yourself. You do what you want, really. But if you ask for an advice, I'll say don't waste your time and buy a set of real communicators. If you want a (fairly) cheap solution, the Sena SMH5 deserves a look.

It makes me think that I should rewind the GR650's starter.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Noise cancelling is both in the directional mic and the electronics. The new stuff is so good, you sound like you're on a land line.
1975 R90/6
Follow me here
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #12
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 374
comms

I call people from my Scala Q2 while I am riding and they don't believe I am on a motorcycle.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,728
Don't bother wasting your time and money on cheap stuff that was never meant to work on a bike. You have no chance of that first headset you posted even working on a bike. Even the MotoComm setup that hooks to FRS radio's is crap and doesn't work well over 40mph speed. There is no noise cancelling and they just don't work! I have over $300 invested originally in various cheap MotoComm stuff and other stuff and it never worked well, and at that point, you won't use it. I learned the hard way and should have just bought the real stuff to begin with. There is plenty of people that can vouch for all the actually Motorcycle BT comms out there and how well they do work.

If money is an object, then find an older pair of Cardo Scala Q2's. I would say under $100 for a used set of two should be pretty easy to find. My wife and I started with the Q2's and they worked great. By this point though, be aware that Q2's have been out long enough that you might start running into reduced battery life depending on how well they were cared for? There are threads out there on how to replace the batteries with very cheap and readily available cordless phone batteries, so that's not a huge issue if you don't mind taking one apart. The older Q2's (non pro models) don't support A2DP so no music via BT, but they do have a wired MP3 input port. The Q2's are simple and they work very well and reliably. Their noise cancelling is top notch!

My wife and I are now Sena SMH10 users and love these. However, the Sena SMH5's are cheaper with less range and smaller batteries, but work just as well also. RocketMoto.com is a vendor here on ADV and offers a nice discount on Sena products.

Buy yourself a true MC BT intercom and you'll be much happier you did! Especially if you want to talk on a phone with it. That's what they all do fairly well!

BTW, I love being able to talk to my wife on a bike. It makes riding so much more enjoyable for us. It's just like if we were riding in a car together sitting side by side. We can carry on a conversation and enjoy our time together. I'm right there with you on not understanding the ones that say they want to "escape". LOL
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 08:50 AM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
Isorg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Toreador View Post
I'm wondering if anyone has tried the idea I'm thinking of. I really don't want to spend all my walkin around wampum on a dedicated bluetooth motorcycle specific communication device if I don't have too.

I'm thinking of using one of those cheap ten dollar earbuds with the mic inline. You see folks using them in public. My thought is putting a velcro attachment point in the chin area of my helmet for the mic and then it's just one earbud in one ear like a regular phone. I understand it's not wireless but I'm wondering if wind noise is going to be a factor.

Has anyone tried this?

My phone plan has free wireless to wireless which would make this really affordable to be able to talk with my with friends and wife while riding together. Two motorcycle specific headsets would be like $500 bucks. If this works it's only like $20 bucks.
this will not work.

motorcycles are noisy environments.

that earbud will never fit right, and it will leave you wanting you want cut your ear off after 20 min of using it.

Do it right the first time, and get a bluetooth setup. Something with noise canceling technology.

like others have said the scala q2 are cheep these days, and work very well, my old q2 is still used on my secondary helmet