Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
hamiamham
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
not a lawyer or a leo but maybe you can invite a search of your - say - top box if you go in there and dig for your documents? akin to leaving a door or trunk or whatever open when you get pulled over?
hamiamham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #17
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiamham View Post
not a lawyer or a leo but maybe you can invite a search of your - say - top box if you go in there and dig for your documents? akin to leaving a door or trunk or whatever open when you get pulled over?
No, if they hadn't a valid reason for a search in the first place, it's not because the lid is open that it becomes valid reason. Unless something really suspicious/illegal can be seen from the now open lid.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #18
Urban Toreador
Banned

Oddometer: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
No, if they hadn't a valid reason for a search in the first place, it's not because the lid is open that it becomes valid reason. Unless something really suspicious/illegal can be seen from the now open lid.
I believe that was his point. Don't keep your weed in your pocket either because a pat down can be done and is not considered a search.
Urban Toreador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 PM   #19
Motomedic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,410
This thread devolved in a hurry, didn't it?

I don't have to agree with you to like you or respect you. -Anthony Bourdain
Motomedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:53 AM   #20
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Toreador View Post
I believe that was his point. Don't keep your weed in your pocket either because a pat down can be done and is not considered a search.
Funny how this thread veered off to 4th amendment issues.

That's a Terry frisk and its a pat down to ensure the officer is safe from any weapons. It's not a search for drugs. I am a LEO and I've done tons of terry frisks, some where I had a good hunch there was a bag of weed in the pocket, but my pat down was to make sure the person did not have a weapon on them. If I wasn't going to arrest them for the reason I encountered them, they went on their merry way. Same thing with the vehicle search; Thanks to AZ vs. Gant, the SCOTUS says LEOs can no longer search a vehicle after arrest unless the arrested person has access to the vehicle. Realistically, if they're arrested they're cuffed in the back of the cruiser and no longer have access to their vehicle so no need for a vehicle search. Now if you're dumb enough to consent to search, that's your business.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:10 AM   #21
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,402
I keep mine in little pouch fastened to the inside of the saddlebag lid, never had an issue with opening the bag and getting them out for the officer.
although, in a few years, technology will advance to where we won't even carry paper cards, our vehicles will have chips embedded in them containing all important imformation! either that or the chips will be embedded in our heads!
they already offer insurance cards on smartphones, registration will be next.
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:16 AM   #22
cidd OP
doppler shift

Oddometer: 40
I like the idea of tapeing it to the lid of my pelican case might give that a try for now. Thanks for the ideas guys
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #23
Mr. B
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by cidd View Post
cops get kind of nervious when you ask to dig thrue a box !! for it . now a days its just better to not go there and have it handy to give them if needed without dismounting the bike . Thanks fo rhte info Ill check it out .
Cops understand that your papers are probably carried or hidden somewhere on the bike. When you tell them you have to dig them out, they probably wont think you're going for a weapon. (Okay, most cops, anyway)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatXfer View Post
I keep reg & poi on my person at all times. I never keep any info on the bike. If I'm not available to answer questions the leos can run the plate.
If you're like me and you have more than one bike and more than one riding jacket; and you're disorganized and forgetful, this leads to forgetting to move the papers when you change jackets or bikes.

Mr. B screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 09:28 AM
Mr. B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 AM   #24
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Cops understand that your papers are probably carried or hidden somewhere on the bike. When you tell them you have to dig it out, they probably wont think you're going for a weapon. (Okay, most cops, anyway)

If you're like me and you have more than one bike and more than one riding jacket; and you're disorganized and forgetful, this leads to forgetting to move the papers when you change jackets or bikes.
+1

Mine are in a ziplock under the seat. You want to see them? Well, you'll have to wait for them.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Funny how this thread veered off to 4th amendment issues.

That's a Terry frisk and its a pat down to ensure the officer is safe from any weapons. It's not a search for drugs. I am a LEO and I've done tons of terry frisks, some where I had a good hunch there was a bag of weed in the pocket, but my pat down was to make sure the person did not have a weapon on them. If I wasn't going to arrest them for the reason I encountered them, they went on their merry way. Same thing with the vehicle search; Thanks to AZ vs. Gant, the SCOTUS says LEOs can no longer search a vehicle after arrest unless the arrested person has access to the vehicle. Realistically, if they're arrested they're cuffed in the back of the cruiser and no longer have access to their vehicle so no need for a vehicle search. Now if you're dumb enough to consent to search, that's your business.

*ding*

This.

Cops know that most people keep their registration in their glove box or somewhere like that. They're actually expecting you to dig around a little to find the stuff. As long as you're not acting like a jackass, they're not going to alarmed.

Well, after they've been arrested, you have to do a vehicle search to inventory the contents to protect the arrestee's property from getting stolen while it's in the impound yard and to make sure there's nothing in the vehicle that would present a danger to the public.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:41 AM   #26
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Just out of sheer curiosity, why do y'all (seems like most all) carry them somewhere other than ya wallet?
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:43 AM   #27
Xeraux
Archvillain

Oddometer: 30,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Just out of sheer curiosity, why do y'all (seems like most all) carry them somewhere other than ya wallet?

I keep my vehicle registration in the glove box with my car's (and bike's) owner's manual and whatnot.

My proof of insurance is in my wallet with my license.

Edit: I keep an extra proof of insurance in with the registration, just in case.

If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl.

Xeraux screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 08:50 AM
Xeraux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeraux View Post
I keep my vehicle registration in the glove box with my car's (and bike's) owner's manual and whatnot.

My proof of insurance is in my wallet with my license.

Edit: I keep an extra proof of insurance in with the registration, just in case.
I got ya now. My registration is a sticker stuck on the windshield of the truck/car and on the plate of the bike...
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #29
Bogfarth
MOTGATT on a Yamahog

Oddometer: 165
I keep my a copy of my registration and two insurance cards in a zip-loc that goes in a jacket pocket. Tourmaster apparently built one pocket just for holding papers, as the zipper is right beside the main front zip. Pop the storm flaps, unzip that little pocket and presto; all my docs, waterproof and at the ready. My license they may have to wait for, as the ol' wallet looks like a teenager's bedroom.

I keep another copy of the registration in a zip-lock between the battery and the back wall of the battery box. Just in case.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 PM   #30
Fishfund
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro1970 View Post
Because I have 1 car and 5 mopeds, and that would be a lot of paperwork to stuff in my wallet. Also, my friends ride my mopeds a lot and that would leave them riding with no papers. I keep all insurance, and registration on each appropriate vehicle at all times. All I need on me is my drivers license.
Fishfund is offline   Reply With Quote