Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #16
huub
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by manxkipper View Post
It certainly looks bad from my vantage point. However the pleasure you will get from getting it sorted seems to offset the costs somehow. I priced a reconditioned magdyno for my latest project at 1200 GBP. Takes your breath away initially.

Good luck and enjoy. Guzzies are great fun.
actually the project doesnt seem too bad so far , i am used to finding way more junk parts in the bikes i buy.
probably says something about the project bikes i tend to buy.

if the fork cartridges are shot ( you just managed to dismantle them ,i never even tried. ) new ones are 40 euro/pair over here. might be slightly more down under,but probably still cheap.
one of the reasons why i end up with a shed fullof guzzi's , parts are cheap, and available.
try that with a ducati....
huub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:26 AM   #17
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by huub View Post
actually the project doesnt seem too bad so far , i am used to finding way more junk parts in the bikes i buy.
probably says something about the project bikes i tend to buy.

if the fork cartridges are shot ( you just managed to dismantle them ,i never even tried. ) new ones are 40 euro/pair over here. might be slightly more down under,but probably still cheap.
one of the reasons why i end up with a shed fullof guzzi's , parts are cheap, and available.
try that with a ducati....
Its not as bad as it looks.....
last night I got the cartridge apart....it looks like one that holds hatchbacks open on cars.....was empty and felt rough....I pumped some ATF thru them and that seemed to make it better....but the shaft seal is worn out.....
I have a set of Lansdowne cartidges for my Commando with rebound on one leg and compression with the other.... hmmmm. Looked at the FAC ones.... $300 US....... might go for a set of stock ones for the moment.
My internet keeps dropping out...dang...got more rusty worn part pics to load up.

Next the UV rebuild

Voltaire screwed with this post 02-07-2013 at 08:20 PM
Voltaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #18
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

It all presses apart quite easlily if you follow Guzziology.

Next the Swingarm bearings
Old 02-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #19
Morizzi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
An article you may find useful:

http://thisoldtractor.com/gtbender/m...l_block_issues_

Cheers

Rod
Morizzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #20
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Been a while, over the summer working on the house, keeping the BMW R90 track ready for classic racing the Monza got neglected, mind you no where near as much a previously.
Dismantled the forks and steering head.

The forks were to use a local expression munted.
chromed needed doing, new cartridges were needed, and so on....
I put them back together in the mean time.
The steering head rotates on some bicycle bearings that Moto Guzzi must have got in a job lot from the English.....last time I saw that arrangement was on a 1958 T110 I restored in the early 90's.
I put it all back together with new grease and hoped that it was going to be nice and smooth.

There are 3 brembo P05 calipers, small versions of the ones used on Ducatis and big block Guzzis ( Guzzi jargon )
The local Guzzi guy said there are no parts available, the internet suggested otherwise. Steve at Bevel Heaven had all the parts as Pantah use them too.
The pistons did not want to come out after 10 years of sitting...
Used the old grease gun trick and they came apart easily.

After rebuilding the calipers I put the whole thing back together and got it running and rideable.
The motor always ran but responded well to a carb clean, points and advance fettle, oil change etc.
Took it for a test run down the street and around the block and around the block again.... wow that V twin sound sure is nice.
That was back in Jan/Feb and since then I have been pondering about the forks and the steering head.
Trawled the net and found that you could get a taper roller conversion, also found that V65 forks would fit.
Eventually found a reasonably priced set on Ebay Germany and post was very reasonable.
My engineer friend made up a set of taper bearing housing that press into the frame, just need a longer steering head pin.
Well, as luck would have it the V65 forks came with a triple tree and the pin is longer

Did a trial assembly this week and it all looks to work, realised that I need a 15mm longer axle and a spacer.
At this stage I'm going to run with handlebars as the top clamp has the fittings and get the bike complied and back on the road.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:04 AM   #21
chris a
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
I guess that the V65 fork legs are larger than the monzas which is a good thing-without a fork brace the smaller ones were very flexy ! The taper bearing conversion is also a very good idea...
chris a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:21 AM   #22
Highside>Lowside
Hairier Than Thou

Oddometer: 890
Great to see a Monza here!

I'll have to get pix of my wife's up here.
Highside>Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #23
mtiberio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
good on ya. The monza is my favorite small block. If the Lario was the mini-Lemans IV (which I do not like the styling of), then the Monza was the mini-Lemans III, which I do. Bellisima...
mtiberio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #24
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
poor thing

It looks like it was in salt water, a flood? shipping mishap? Good for you for rescueing the poor dear.
I am sure you have figured out the nicest thing about small Guzzis, the high torque peak. You can run them all day at 90. They are so much better to ride long distances than an R65 that there is no comparison.
I wish I had one now, a fine bike with style and character.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #25
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mule View Post
It looks like it was in salt water, a flood? shipping mishap? Good for you for rescueing the poor dear.
I am sure you have figured out the nicest thing about small Guzzis, the high torque peak. You can run them all day at 90. They are so much better to ride long distances than an R65 that there is no comparison.
I wish I had one now, a fine bike with style and character.
It lived on an island for years. I have only ridden it up and down the road a bit, but if its better than the R65 that's a bonus as that was my last commuter bike. I gather the Heron heads are where the torque comes from....good enough for Mr Lindbergh good enough for me.
Old 05-14-2013, 09:33 AM   #26
Old Mule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Monza

And the best brakes by far of any bike of the era. I reckon the relatively small valves and consequent high intake charge speed have something to do with their performance, but I think it is cam design.
The torque peak of my old 1000cc T3 was at 3800 rpm, and that of a same year 1000 BMW was 2200. So the Guzzi is more comfortable and much more economic at high speed...and more responsive too, you can accelerate from 75 or 80 without a bunch of down shifting.
Now I am envious and wish I had a Monza.
Old Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #27
Voltaire OP
Beastly Adventurer

Well....the Monzas spaghetti 32mm forks were pitted and the cartridge stuffed, as were the bicycle cup and cone steering bearings that are bike specific and expensive.
It nearly became a blanky bike ( pushed into the corner ).
Unfortunately its hard to move bikes with no front suspension so on the lift it stayed....and stayed.....
My Engineer made me a few bits and I found some bits on Ebay as the local Guzzi guy has bugger all V50 stuff.
Picked up a set of 35mm forks that by good luck came with the triple clamp with longer pin.
Engineer made me a cup/cone/Taper conversion, using some drawings off the net done by an Aussie bloke.

Now the forks are 20mm wider spacing than before....so the discs need to be spaced out.

Of course the axle was longer.....Ebay again......even found some Konis for it.
Engineer knocked me up a new spacer for the axle....

Bunged in the battery, hooked up the wiring and it started. Checked all the bits I had changed and took it for a spin.

I did not have any 35mm clip ons and scope creep had set in.....ah made up some spacers and the top clamp had handlebar fittings so used a set of bars I had lying around.

Test ride was ok, it seems to have intermittent ignition issues, I think the 30 year old ND coils need replacing.
Engine is mechanically quiet, the gearbox shifts nicely and the front end is nice and firm, the rears are still the originals that I took apart cleaned and refilled with 10wt fork oil.
Next job is fit the fairing and get all the lights working, then its new tyres and off to get tested.
Once I get that, probably take the final drive apart and see if it needs the bolt upgrade.