Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #16
chris7s OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Why wouldn't carry insurance ? If you're talking about collision, that's your risk choice. If you're talking about liability, you could be bankrupted forever if you don't have it. Not having insurance is just plain stupid.
#1 I'm a 23 year old with no assets worth litigating over.

#2 The insurance I would carry if forced to, would be $10,000 liability (FL req'd for cars). In the event of a 'forever bankrupting' lawsuit, let's say six figures (or even half of that), the amount wouldn't be dented by that insurance.

#3 The likelihood (lack thereof) of getting into an at-fault accident where I cause such vast damage on a motorcycle.

#4 I can declare bankruptcy, lose the pennies I have in the bank to the plaintiff, and no longer be incumbered.

#5 See #1.

I don't consider it "plain stupid," but thank you for your opinion.

For the record, DMV just told me they have to go by your home state's insurance requirements if you get pulled over out of state.
chris7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #17
Eyes Shut
See no evil

Oddometer: 1,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7s View Post
I added a lot of looping around there to my route to see a lot of other nearby parks. Is the north rim a lot better? It mightn’t be a huge mission to loop both or skip the south and go straight to the north. I’ll hit you up if I swing by SD for sure.

I’m starting to debate skipping Yellowstone altogether (and SD) to have more time for Colorado. As far as San Fran, looking at the map, I was thinking about taking a ferry in not-free direction (because ferries are just awesome) and go over the golden gate in the free direction. I’ll check out Lagunitas.

Could you look at this route?
[link]
Google maps won’t let me drag the route through 260 between show low and payson. I don’t know if there’s a road closure or if google maps is just dumb.

Hmmm, on your question about 260: I don't know if there are any road closures. We did that route in October 2012 with no problems, so maybe it's just a Google maps thing...

North Rim of Grand Canyon is less crowded, but it's 1000 ft higher in altitude than the South rim. It usually opens in mid-May or so, but if you want to go there, check the opening date. You can actually get more views of the river from the South rim, but the solitude of the North rim has its own rewards (and the canyon views from both rims are amazing).

Also, Yellowstone vs. Colorado: Yellowstone is one of my faves, because it has such unique features, and the animal abundance is fun to see. BUT Colorado has awesome views and roads. It probably makes more sense to spend more time in one place, such as CO, and really explore it more. Save Yellowstone for another trip (and you could visit Glacier Park, Beartooth Pass/Red Lodge in that trip)!
Eyes Shut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #18
chris7s OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Hey guys, so I screwed up royally. I can sit here and chalk it up to not being familiar with the new bike, having a noise-muffling full face helmet on, or a handful of other things, but really it was absurd global-scale stupidity on my part.

I rode my bike for half an hour with the choke on. I realized it, turned it off , rode for another hour, and then realized that I had melted the living crap out of my saddlebags.

I had a really nice leather jacket, a brand new pair of skateboarding shoes, and my cell phone charger in that bag. They were utterly disintegrated.

I turned back home.

About 20 minutes after turning back the bike shut off on me in the middle of nowhere and would crank but wouldn't come back on. The oil light was on and the oil measured low. I ended up getting help from some good samaritans and ended up adding about 1.3 quarts of oil to the bike. It turned on fine and rode the rest of the way home fine. The oil wasn't down any when I got home.

A handful of questions...

Did I damage my bike? Is it OK to clean it up and go back to doing the trip? Should I dump the oil and change it? Spark plugs?

I suppose it's worth mentioning I'd spent a couple days before leaving just doing maintenance work to it. Spark plugs, changed most of the radiator hoses, flush and pressure test the cooling sys, replace the clutch and throttle cables, diff fluid, etc.

How do I get this crap off my tailpipe and rim?

What should I do about getting new saddles?

Any other life advice or "it's OK, we all do stupid s***" mentions appreciated.

I really wanted want to kick myself in the face for this. The idea of scrapping the trip crossed my mind.

chris7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:49 AM   #19
buls4evr
No Marks....

Oddometer: 2,262
Stop for a couple days and get some new bags from Rocky Mtn ATV/Cycle. I believe you have more going on than just a choke left on though. That should have made the bike run terrible,especially at altitude, but has little to do with oil consumption or the extreme temps that exhaust underwent. Basically I would say you ran it very low on oil instead. If you pull the plugs and look at them they will tell you the story..... especially if they have aluminum on them! You have likely been working that engine in a lean condition(carbs) and running it hard. Have you been watching your oil every day? If you put in new plugs and change the oil and filter... and if it is not smoking like crazy out the pipe when cold, I would continue on my trip. Just know that you just put 50K on that engine doing that to it in addition to what it already has.
buls4evr is offline   Reply With Quote