Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #16
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 22,597
Yes that sounds right. I have the tight padded shorts for underneath already. Thanks just googled bmx pants got a lot of results. thank you!

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #17
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,259
You can buy a bicycle specific padded underwear and wear it under pants.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #18
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Thanks thats what I had been doing but it warmed up the other day and I realized its not going to work in June / July / August. I found some vented/mesh pants they're a lil pricey but I guess Ill just have to bite the bullet.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #19
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Thanks thats what I had been doing but it warmed up the other day and I realized its not going to work in June / July / August. I found some vented/mesh pants they're a lil pricey but I guess Ill just have to bite the bullet.
I have MTB specific shorts by Zoic, Oakley, Royal, and Maloja. Bought them all on clearance from Competitivecyclist.com. IIRC, they were priced between $30-39 per pair. Stick with dark colors unless you want the poopy pants look after a muddy ride. Try to find some with zippered mesh vents and liners.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,161
So you're willing to run the risk of seriously overheating and being extremely uncomfortable, in the woods, with no one else around, in an effort to not appear 'gay'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_formation
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #21
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

No i dont like to expose my legs when doing a down hill run. It would be like wearing shorts on a motorcycle.
I was simply looking for a non lycra / spandex type pants because I dont think think they could hold up to the road rash of a down hill get off

Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM   #22
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 63,439
Quote:
Im jeans and a tshirt guy. Everything else is gay, I know its me,I can admit it I have other issues too.
That cotton shit will make you sweat like a pig and you'll grow crotch fungus. And no shorts? Dude, you're going to look like a huge dweeb out there.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #23
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:
No i dont like to expose my legs when doing a down hill run. It would be like wearing shorts on a motorcycle.
I was simply looking for a non lycra / spandex type pants because I dont think think they could hold up to the road rash of a down hill get off

Except you'll be traveling much lower speeds, be crashing on dirt and trees aren't texting and drinking frappamochacino's during lane changes at 75mph. Just busting balls - seriously though, look into some shin/knee pads to wear under 'baggy' mtb shorts, and over some spandex/padded bike shorts. I use this exact setup and swear by it, plus you don't look like a lycra tool. They'll protect your legs better than DH pants will, and you won't overheat as easily or harvest mushrooms out of your grundle. EMS makes some good enduro type baggy mtb shorts that come with padded undershorts and they're priced pretty well to boot.

ex: http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Six-...Shin-Guard.axd
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #24
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Except you'll be traveling much lower speeds, be crashing on dirt and trees aren't texting and drinking frappamochacino's during lane changes at 75mph. Just busting balls - seriously though, look into some shin/knee pads to wear under 'baggy' mtb shorts, and over some spandex/padded bike shorts. I use this exact setup and swear by it, plus you don't look like a lycra tool. They'll protect your legs better than DH pants will, and you won't overheat as easily or harvest mushrooms out of your grundle. EMS makes some good enduro type baggy mtb shorts that come with padded undershorts and they're priced pretty well to boot.

ex: http://www.pricepoint.com/Brand/Six-...Shin-Guard.axd

Thanks I got the padded undershorts already just looking to keep the scratches and gouges down. I've found some vented bmx pannts that Im going to give a try

Old 05-14-2013, 09:50 PM   #25
kenny61 OP
Crazy Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodfart View Post
Except you'll be traveling much lower speeds, be crashing on dirt and trees aren't texting and drinking frappamochacino's during lane changes at 75mph.

Not far from my house...

http://www.lohud.com/article/2013051...t-who-hit-deer

Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 AM   #26
RxZ
Legal Drug Dealer

Oddometer: 1,730
Best idea I have is to get some full mesh motorcycle over-pants to wear over the padded shorts you have. That way you have some airflow over your lower body, and some protection from the ground. Seems like that would not be comfortable though

Personally, I wear board shorts with Under Armour athletic briefs underneath and a technical t-shirt when riding. All the local trails are in forests, where there is no wind, very high humidity, and high heat. Any more clothes than I already wear would be way too much.
RxZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #27
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:

Unfortunate, but he was on the road. IME, road bikes are faster with less braking power than mountain bikes. Looks like the poor guy died from hitting the pavement too hard. No one can say he would have lived had he fallen on dirt, but it certainly wouldn't hurt?
Old 05-17-2013, 01:03 AM   #28
5th-Elefant
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,253
Baggy mountainbike shorts are available for people not secure in their sexuality.

Proper bike kit is worth having, or you'll be surprised (and in your case threatened) by how much your butt hurts.
5th-Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #29
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,386
as a fat old guy, i love the MTB shorts. No longer to cars pull over while drivers scream "eye bleach, I need eye bleach" in agony digging at their eyes.

shin guards help a lot when you fall, but you do get scratches. Man up.

Rod

ragtoplvr screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 08:14 AM
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #30
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,550
From a practical standpoint I see where you are coming from. I went riding on a pretty hot day last summer and thought, I'll just wear my bids and jersey, it will be WAY more comfortable. I usually wear "baggy" shorts over padded underwear.
I SHREDDED them. Totally ruined a set of $100 bibs..... I did not fall, it was from my hips bouncing off of trees and rock outcroppings. I can't imagined what would have happened if I had fallen.
That said, I would die in pants. We don't get to go down nearly enough to get the airflow needed.
mud is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: