User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
wmax351 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
BMW K75 Engine Refresh

Browsing Craigslist, and found a low miles '95 K75 engine for 70 bucks, less the water pump, fuel injectors, with the clutch. I'm going to put it on my bike, when I am replacing the clutch, as my 100k engine is getting a bit tired (uses a good amount of oil, blowby, shitty mileage, etc). Leaks in a few places too. Think there may have been poor maintenance in its past.

However, before I put it in, I will go through the engine to make sure it is fresh, break the glaze on the cylinders to make sure I can seat the rings/break-in as I would like, reseal, check clearances, etc.

Any thoughts?

I am trying to decide how to clean it. I am thinking plug up the ports, tape over the open oil pan, and hit it with a pressure washer and soap before tearing it down. That way I can start with it somewhat clean.

For breaking the glaze, it has nikasil bores, so I will scotchbrite and soap it. If need be, I will track down a ball hone.

Once it is opened up, I think I will set up a diy spray booth for the pressure washer, and use that on all the aluminium parts.

With the head, should I lap the valves? I will be replacing the valve stem seals.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
If you are going to reuse the head, you should cut or regrind the valves and seats. Lapping valves and seats that have not been machined is a waste of time.

The next question is whether the parts are in good enough condition to reuse.
bmwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #3
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,390
Low miles....may not need much more than a leak down test, camshaft inspection, valve adjustment and maybe an internal inspection with a borescope altough you can see a lot of the bore from the crankshaft side.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
wmax351 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrench View Post
If you are going to reuse the head, you should cut or regrind the valves and seats. Lapping valves and seats that have not been machined is a waste of time.

The next question is whether the parts are in good enough condition to reuse.
Its a low mileage engine. I forgot what the guy said exactly, runs in my mind it was in the 30k's at most.

My main goal is to do the break in right (hard) and start out with a good leak-free engine.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #5
bmwrench
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,960
I misunderstood-I thought you were going to rebuild the head from your original motor.
bmwrench is online now   Reply With Quote