User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 07:10 PM   #136
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer: 2,498
Cowboy Cadillacs and giant Catfish

Noticed this lovely vehicle next a really lovely little road that's easy to overlook, Filmore Cty in MN where it may still be necessary to be Lutheran and Norwegian to own land Justin and I took out Mary along she's authentically Scandinavian looking out us poor Germans and keeping us out of trouble.

The sign explains it all lots of 15-20 mph turns leading to the cut east of LaCrosse WI, lots of bike's and muscle cars.

Off to Trumpealeau WI a really nice little town on a lock and dam not to mention the railroad.

What's not to love about him ?

Trumpealeau Hotel seasonal with a great restaurant and old time bar, famous for walnut veggie burgers and pretty decent food no fries a decent view of the river lots of bicyclists and campers great music outdoors during the summer.

Mark Twains Mississippi just up river from Tumpealeau on the way to Perrot state park.
All and all a pretty decent day final drive left me only a small spot on garage floor, I changed the drive torque arm back to the stock length one which seems to make the rear move up and down more, I was wondering if the pinion angle had something to do with my drip it was a long shot at best.Need techlusion fuel inj tweaker to get over the just off idle lean spot and small increase to the cruise mixture.Db
Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #137
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Techlusion FI Tweaker

Got a Techlusion from Mike at beemerboneyard.com given my love of pain and frustration I got the one that retains the O2 sensor.I had my tug dyno'd years ago, the tuner looking at the a/f ratio didn't think he could do any better than the stock map, it always ran well and got decent mileage.
It got a fresh top end with RS pistons as they are 11/1 and rechromed cylinders straight and tight.It's been too lean staggering just off idle when cold and lazy further up the RPM range with a nasty cackle during deceleration.The tweaker took care of that with the recommended settings.

I've used one of these before the earliest version and a power commander but for small changes this is way easier than the PC especially if your dealing with lean conditions a much modified bike may have places one wants to remove fuel from the map and that's what the PC allows.DB
Old 05-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #138
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Gear change

Don't you just hate it when that happens actually one is suppose to do their splines about every 20-30 k miles, I'm used to it.

It was one of the easier R&R FDs I've done , I used the bronze bushes from Ted Porter to replace the bearings.

Trying to speed the plow a bit running it on jack full of ATF (high detergent) till the engine is completely warm then letting it sit with the drain plug out over night hoping to flush used final drive, got one ugly piece of metal out I hope that isn't a harbinger of bad news.I'll fill it with 90w Schaeffers tomorrow and if its not raining go for a ride.
I wasn't going to change fd as it's only been in there 2k miles but it started dripping out the big seal, I removed wheel and found a sliver of metal in the seal removed it, it appeared fine but would drip a bit every day. I flushed changed lube but the drip always returned.It had a 33/11 this is a 34/11 which is probably another tooth in the right direction and as low is one dare go with the adv transmission the 33 produce 61 mph at 4 k rpm.Onward and forward.DB
Old 05-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #139
walkingbear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,351
Fd

Dave,
the rig that I am buying is coming with a 37/11 . It has a 33/11 right now
and I have a spare 34/11 from an R1100RS. Are you finding more power with the pistons from the RS?
Rosso Mandello V11 , 2014 R nine T
walkingbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:15 AM   #140
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingbear View Post
Dave,
the rig that I am buying is coming with a 37/11 . It has a 33/11 right now
and I have a spare 34/11 from an R1100RS. Are you finding more power with the pistons from the RS?
That was an excellent deal then 37/11's are not as plentiful used and are damned expensive to build. The pistons really help but since I used used pistons (skirts hammered) and had the cylinders replated and honed for those pistons she's really tight,pistons where graphite impregnated but it's taken 2k miles and the Techlusion to get a decent idle as it was tight and lean has a nice little bark for a beemer.
I've found that it always did better economy wise when ran at a little higher rpm than one tends to ride a GS at summed up don't bother with 6th unless you've got a tailwind or can run it 4k rpm or more.DB
Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #141
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

It's all fun

Buddy and I went to Mississippi River valley for lunch it crested its flood stage yesterday but there was allot of water everywhere.

This was Feb today it had allot of water running over it I forded it about 2 wks ago it wasn't scarey was there a few day ago me and dog decided not enough weight.

I don't know if this will work Monkeys smart phone video, sidecar was getting swept to edge buy current Strokers Centerlines don't allow any flow thru, it was a bad idea. But we won't do that again.DB

Tried 34/11 worked well it delivered 59 mph at 4k rpm in 6th 33/11 delivered 61 at same speed smallish 175/65/15 fuel mileage was not good couldn't break 30 mpg, upon checking FI techlusion and went back to suggested settings I was a little richer we'll see.DB

davebig screwed with this post 05-10-2013 at 05:24 PM
davebig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #142
mikejjmay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 311
great dave just keep showing me awesome roads you know ill never find....
mikejjmay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #143
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Windy Gear Check

Drone I still think your pulling my leg, it was 50ish with a 26-gusting over 30 N wind all day, So I went straight to the interstate and poured on the coals,70-72 mph is around 4800 rpm, so I gave it some stick as the Brits say 6500 rpm produce 96 mph Via Garmin gps it may have pulled to a hundred but this was all in a vicious crosswind and why bother, after 20 miles of over 70 operation I headed for the river valleys. I never got a break I only got 25 miles of tailwind all day and the fuel consumption reflected it 29 mpg. Creeping in low is 7 or 8 mph seemed low enough to me. It seems to me I remember you saying that you weren't going to be a Uralista (in places where 8-900 pound GSs don't belong) someplace in your thread. I believe I'll be changing back to the Nankang 165/80 and possibly add some grooves in the rear it's already to dry around here to benefit from much block in a tire. DB

davebig screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 06:49 PM
Old 05-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #144
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Bigger tires

This afternoon I took off a the 135/15 front and put a 145/15 Nankang front but the change was the 175/65/15 rear to the 165/15 Nankang the 165 was at least an 1.5" taller and changed my speed more than I would have thought.Since I just changed my GSadv to a 34/11 smaller tires gave me 59+mph @ 4000 RPM, the taller 165/80 brought that up to 61+ mph 4500 was 70-71 mph and 80 was about 5200.
The taller sidewalls sway a bit more in turns,but ride a bit better onward and forward.

145/80/15 Nankang

Chair and rear both 165/80/15 With these tire gearing is about the same as previous 33/11 with the smaller tires.DB
Old 05-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #145
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Shocking !!!!!!!!!!!!

The rear Yacugar arrived today and I'm trying to remember why I needed change ? Oh yeah my Ohlins had 80k miles on them with out a drip or a problem, but I didn't want any problems after Mikepa's images of shot Ohlins, I talked with Ted Porter these are Hyperpro cousins all leftover folks from WP who went to Austria for KTM. These have steel bodies and a 2mm larger shaft,They wouldn't allow me to pick the springs and only collected data the normal gsa gets a 57-150-175 these are 57-185-190

I started out with no swaybar preload hmmmm, the suspension moved more and ride was more sofa like. I've always ran some preload and like the tauntness it provides so I promptly added more sway bar preload and haven't ridden it again more work tomorrow. It's your fault Claude once you get on anti-swaybar it's impossible to get off !!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLOL

davebig screwed with this post 05-15-2013 at 07:51 PM
Old 05-17-2013, 11:43 AM   #146
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Tires

DB:

Stroker is building a front wheel for my R1200GS, and I'd appreciate some tire advice.

You've been running a number different sizes, and Stroker says he uses either a 135 (80) or a 155 (80).

Most of my riding will be on paved roads or well groomed gravel/dirt. I'm inclined to go with the widest tire possible so maybe the 155? Will i`t fit under my stock fender ok?

Advice, please? Would you prefer to take this off-line so we don't clutter up your thread?

FWIW I'm running Vredestein 165 (86) 15 Snow+ on rear and tub

Thanks,
Duncan

dholaday screwed with this post 05-17-2013 at 11:48 AM
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:40 PM   #147
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday View Post
DB:

Stroker is building a front wheel for my R1200GS, and I'd appreciate some tire advice.

You've been running a number different sizes, and Stroker says he uses either a 135 (80) or a 155 (80).

Most of my riding will be on paved roads or well groomed gravel/dirt. I'm inclined to go with the widest tire possible so maybe the 155? Will i`t fit under my stock fender ok?

Advice, please? Would you prefer to take this off-line so we don't clutter up your thread?

FWIW I'm running Vredestein 165 (86) 15 Snow+ on rear and tub

Thanks,
Duncan
Duncan
Where did you get the Vredestiens ? that is the prefered tire in the rear I think though not so easy to find in the spring. I've got Nankangs 165/80/15 and a 145/80 in the front and that's as big as one can get in a 1100/50 fork, I don't know about the 1200 but I suspect it's the same.
The Nankangs are inexpensive come very round and balance easy to me what's not to love, but since you have a higher gearing (numerically lower) I would consider a smaller tires but you will give up ground clearance but get snappier handling if you look back through my posts I had a 175/65 Conti wintercontact on the rear and a 145/65/15 on the front and that was the snappiest handling setup I had.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...65&diameter=15

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...65&diameter=15

The danger is that your giving up ground clearance and you don't want to have the front tipped down with a small tire up there,so it's Nankangs for me.

Here's some Vredestien T Tracs for the back should be a nice all arounder,
http://www2.tires-easy.com/cgi-bin/r...hen=View+tires
It gets to be about what you can get not what you want,, if it where easy to raise the entire front 1" I'd used 65 series 15s front and rear but nothings easy.
In a short answer if your Vredestiens are in good shape get a Nankang 145/80/15 and you'll be pleased how well they work.DB
Old 05-19-2013, 03:16 PM   #148
davebig OP
Another Angry Hun !

It's all fun

Buddy Coopdway and I went here :http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=862640 some of the best Coullee road in the Mississippi river valley, interesting towns eccentric BMW riders etc.
The rings and cylinders in my bike are finally becoming friends and getting along. It delivered 31-33mpg and 34/11 final drive and gsa transmission are working out very well lots of power and compression braking up and down the coullees.
For Drone I tore down 50-60 miles of interstate in a 35 mph + crosswind ran 68-70 big front tire,swaybar and new rear shock control was great power great mileage dropped to the 31 figure.I hope my partner in crime posts some images I forgot my camera but it was a very wet start.DB

Thanks to Coopdway we have some images !

One of the best things about riding with Coop is we mostly meet here for breakfast and it's always great Barbeque lunch and breakfast place Alma WI on the river.

Great someplace it's not raining !

Madison BMW club members that was a very nice Ural , these folks like to drink beer.

Swiss sidecar rig Nimbus

This guy's looking for Drone for decor idea's

Typical WI backroad only fairly flat right here.

Another Hacks inmate and member of host club we will leave him anonymous.

It's either Americana or Strokers secret testing facility !

One of Claudes that the owner is pleased with tonight.

davebig screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 05:48 PM
Old 05-20-2013, 03:30 PM   #149
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebig View Post
Duncan
Where did you get the Vredestiens ? that is the prefered tire in the rear I think though not so easy to find in the spring. I've got Nankangs 165/80/15 and a 145/80 in the front and that's as big as one can get in a 1100/50 fork, I don't know about the 1200 but I suspect it's the same.
The Nankangs are inexpensive come very round and balance easy to me what's not to love, but since you have a higher gearing (numerically lower) I would consider a smaller tires but you will give up ground clearance but get snappier handling if you look back through my posts I had a 175/65 Conti wintercontact on the rear and a 145/65/15 on the front and that was the snappiest handling setup I had.

The danger is that your giving up ground clearance and you don't want to have the front tipped down with a small tire up there,so it's Nankangs for me.

It gets to be about what you can get not what you want,, if it where easy to raise the entire front 1" I'd used 65 series 15s front and rear but nothings easy.
In a short answer if your Vredestiens are in good shape get a Nankang 145/80/15 and you'll be pleased how well they work.DB
DB:

FYI, Elmer put a 3.0 final drive on the rig. I just wish I cold go lower [or higher, depending on how you count].

I got the Vredestein Snow+ 165 86 15 I have on rear and tub from Premier Tire in Denver [thank you DirtyDR]. You have to call them and ask about availability - they may have some now. 303-297-9555.

Stroker thinks I may be able to run a 155 80 on the front but we are not sure. The front wheel he is building for me is either his first production model or his 2d prototype, depending on your view; he has not run one on the street so I get to do the real-world testing on my way to the USCA Rally.

I've had one heck of a time finding ANY brand 155/80 15. Finally found a Vredestein Sprint Classic in that size at TiresbyWeb and Premier. Hoping it will fit ok. Nice thing is I will lose less than 1" diameter compared to stock 110/80 19. We will see if it works. Vredestein makes a 155/15 Snow+ but couldn't find any in-country.

I hope to get both the wheel and tire sometime next week so I can put a few miles on them before leaving for Rally.

Thanks for your help - as you would say: "onward and upward"

Duncan
Old 05-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #150
Stroker
motorcycle traveler

Oddometer: 161
testing facility

Shit! You found the location of my Top Secret testing facility and research laboratory. Actually the real scientific stuff goes on in the subterranean salt mines under the barn. Be careful of those hay-pile booby traps.
Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote