Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #4936
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
Dammit!! Crap. Jesus.

I can understand waiting for someone to help to save it from getting more scratched up, but if it's an isolated area taking off the side and top case would make it much easier. If that still didn't work, spinning the bike so the slope worked in your favor would do the trick.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:48 AM   #4937
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
I had a similar Tenere nap with the bike in a negative slope.

Had to spin it first.

Then my technique for lifting the pig is facing it backwards and grabbing the bar-end and Crash bar. I leave it in gear so the rear wheel doesn't assist the pig in getting away from me.

Still hard for this old man. And I have to rest for a minute or two to get oxygen into my brain. :)
Old 05-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #4938
jaumev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,464
I had to lift it up in the sand in Morocco, negative slope as well and with luggage.

I did it but I was dead the rest of the day ...

Too heavy for a non Super Tenere sized old man...

Yamaha Super Ténéré off road modifications: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797977
jaumev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #4939
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaumev View Post
I had to lift it up in the sand in Morocco, negative slope as well and with luggage.

I did it but I was dead the rest of the day ...

Too heavy for a non Super Tenere sized old man...
Size does have it's advantages. Hell I pick mine up with one hand
while opening a beer bottle with the other. (cept I don't drink)

pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 AM   #4940
spklbuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Spankin’ on Gunpowder Ridge

Dropping the S10 goes something like this...

After making a ridiculously early spring gobble scouting hike in the woods last Sunday morning, I decided to explore a new (to me) ridge on the southern boundary of the Monongahela National Forest. Of course the logical way to get there was aboard Alegany. I turned up Dutch Hollow off Big Draft Road and headed into what according to the map is national forest. About three miles in, I crossed a low water bridge and came to a fork. I chose the right hand fork as it continued along the same heading I had been on but within a few yards, I encountered a locked gate. Mumbling profanities under my breath, I gingerly convinced Alegany to reverse course.

Taking the left hand fork led me around a bend and up a grade only to encounter another locked gate midslope. Curses! Foiled again! I began to rock Alegany back and forth, right and left to manage a turn around. At full lock, I started forward to finish out the round about. Uh Oh! Uh Oh! Uh Oh! Ooommphh! Alegany lost momentum and mother earth on the down-slope side was up close and personal real fast. Alas, I should have rocked fore and aft one mo’ time!

After a quick check of my working parts, I began comtemplatin’ the circumstance. Alegany was napping in such a manner that would require lifting upslope. I squatted with my back to the bike and tried my damnedest to set Alegany upright…no go. I lifted the rear end and dragged it around a little ways to get a better angle. Now the sounds that emanated from poor ol’ Alegany’s sides grinding on that sandstone road base just about made me cry. Butt to bike, lift; same result. Grabbed the front end and dragged some more; I now know the squeaks of the gates of hell! No liftee. Mumbling many more profanities, I grabbed the rear wheel and spun Alegany’s big bottom around so I would be working w-i-t-h gravity for a novel change and proceeded to set her fat azz upright.

The Alt Rider crash bars did their job well. I expected the shifter to be trashed, but it apparently managed to find a patch of sand between the stones in which to settle. The tang on the kickstand skewed rearward a bit and may have saved the shifter as it gave, so I’ll take that. The hand guard and the pillion peg mount took pretty good hits, but held up fine. Other than my pride, some black paint and having to ride tail tucked back down Dutch Hollow feeling old, weak and entirely unskilled, me and Alegany were relatively unscathed.

At least both sides of the crash bar now match.

Losing all interest in scouting Gunpowder Ridge for turkey sign (translation I was too lazy to walk in); but not be denied a good ride, I continued Big Draft and hauled freight up Slab Camp Mountain.

Once across the river, me and Alegany motored through the rich farmland of the Greenbrier Valley where beef cattle are big business and paused to snap some pics of these newborns.

Crossing to the west side of U. S. 219, we made our way into Trout Valley and the sleepy little farm community of Williamsburg, WV.
Sinking Creek Road, Shoestring Trail and Midland Trail West led us home to lick our wounds and to tell the tale of the skirmish when me and Alegany took a spankin’ on Gunpowder Ridge.
spklbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:13 AM   #4941
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by spklbuk View Post
Dropping the S10 goes something like this...
After looking at all those pics and getting only one drop out of the deal, I feel snookerd. J/k, of course. Glad the rest of the ride went well. Betcha horsing that Tenere around made you feel like you accomplished something! Good thing you don't have that wimpy little Versys anymore.

Sent from my SC-03E using Tapatalk 2

tremor38 screwed with this post 05-18-2013 at 05:45 AM
tremor38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:19 AM   #4942
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,011
Nice job documenting the nap and wakeup call.

And kudos to tremor for quoting everything just in case folks missed it the first time.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:37 AM   #4943
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinrider View Post
No need to apologize, two weeks without communication is still any way you slice it. And it turns out that the original one was crap after all, glad I held back.
OK, so that puts you over the edge, right? I'm thinking about sending in my SA spec ECU, but I thought we agreed you would go first.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #4944
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

And kudos to tremor for quoting everything just in case folks missed it the first time.
Why whatever do you mean?

Old 05-18-2013, 05:58 AM   #4945
tremor38
Beastly Adventurer

Pluric, thanks for the ECUU gen 2 impressions. The performance sounds closer to my Diapason flashed machine (minus my jumpy off throttle fuel cut). I imagine wheelies come easier now

Old 05-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #4946
spklbuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Betcha horsing that Tenere around made you feel like you accomplished something! Good thing you don't have that wimpy little Versys anymore.

Made me feel old would be more like it.

Used to thing that lil' Red Fireball was a pain to get back on its pins...not any more! Still miss her.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:21 AM   #4947
spklbuk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice job documenting the nap and wakeup call.
Here's the drop documented on video and the recovery ride...Just in case you are having a slow day!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxN8zxdFDMA
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #4948
pluric
Gimpy Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,989
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremor38 View Post
Pluric, thanks for the ECUU gen 2 impressions. The performance sounds closer to my Diapason flashed machine (minus my jumpy off throttle fuel cut). I imagine wheelies come easier now

I assume so. After the original reflash I was pleased with change but I no way felt it
ran like the Diapason people were reporting. Now I think I'll jump on their band wagon.

Wheelies? 600lb bikes don't do no freaking wheelies. Nor do they go off road!

Hypothetically speaking, if one did try to wheelie one with the 2nd gen reflash then
I would have to say yes it does come up easier.
pluric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:31 AM   #4949
snakebitten
Small Town Hick

Oddometer: 951
Best documented "out in the field alone" nap. (not staged or with 20 buddies that can help)

And it shows one more thing this 600lb bike does that it isn't supposed to do.

As Pluric states;
It will wheelie
It does do dirt

And,
It falls down, gets up, and continues on. Without real damage
Old 05-18-2013, 11:39 AM   #4950
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 468

this is a photo thread right?
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/