Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #346
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullukk View Post
Great stuff mate!!, I love yours and kamchat's scottish thread's, always my first port of call on adv day trippin, hoping to get up to applecross forra long weekend in a couple of weeks, if i happen to spot you on the road i'll personally thank you for this great thread.

Cheers.

Keith.
Thanks for saying, fella. It's appreciated.

Let me know when you're on the road and I'll look out for you if I'm out.

Had my fist pillion passenger yesterday. Took my sister out to Killin and back. Apart from the initial weirdness of having someone else on the bike, there were no problems. Think the Deauville is a 1-up tourer though as her legs were pretty stiff by the time we got back. It was only 100 miles with breaks so a 2-up trip across Europe might be beyond it.

My Flickr
Matt 82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:41 AM   #347
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Should think it would be fine Matt, just need time to get used to it. Hope that you didnt know the poor lad who was found on the M9 the other....

More fun being upright
kwakbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #348
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Duke's Pass Video

I gave the Duke's Pass video another go and it worked, thankfully.

I'd had the bike for a fortnight by this point I think and had been up to Eilean Donan Castle already but this was the first time on a small back road with gravel and whatnot so most of the chat is me talking about getting used to the bike.

It's a long video (28 minutes) so I might put a smaller, edited one up as well at some point.

My Flickr
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #349
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Should think it would be fine Matt, just need time to get used to it. Hope that you didnt know the poor lad who was found on the M9 the other....
I didn't know him. However this is Scotland so people I know knew him. Very sad.

My Flickr
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 AM   #350
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Had a real close call today when an old lady drifted onto my side of the road. She reached the halfway point of the wrong side of the road. I had to swerve into the gutter to avoid a head on. When I first saw her drifting over the line I thought it'd be someone texting but when she passed she had two hands on the wheel and was looking straight ahead. How anyone could be paying attention and still be that far across the road I have no idea.

I think she may have been attempting to murder me.

Anyway I have photos and video from today that I'll stick up later on.

My Flickr
Old 05-07-2013, 10:01 AM   #351
X11-MAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
Ride safe

Take it easy out there !!!

..... some folk should not have a licence ..many blind or no idea !!!!!

Enjoying your photos / reports..know all the roads well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt 82 View Post
Had a real close call today when an old lady drifted onto my side of the road. She reached the halfway point of the wrong side of the road. I had to swerve into the gutter to avoid a head on. When I first saw her drifting over the line I thought it'd be someone texting but when she passed she had two hands on the wheel and was looking straight ahead. How anyone could be paying attention and still be that far across the road I have no idea.

I think she may have been attempting to murder me.

Anyway I have photos and video from today that I'll stick up later on.
X11-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #352
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Wasnt driving a purple nissan micra was she, thats par for the course for myopic old folk down here

More fun being upright
Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 PM   #353
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,098
Reminds me of "Arsenic and Old Lace".
Those were the nicest possible elder ladies.

Watch your top!
Old 05-08-2013, 12:13 PM   #354
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Aberfeldy

Quote:
Originally Posted by X11-MAN View Post
Take it easy out there !!!

..... some folk should not have a licence ..many blind or no idea !!!!!

Enjoying your photos / reports..know all the roads well
Yeah when you're that far across and it's not because you're distracted it's maybe time to hang up the driving gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakbiker View Post
Wasnt driving a purple nissan micra was she, thats par for the course for myopic old folk down here
I would've fancied my chances against a Micra. She was in a great big bloody Merc. I would've had no chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rango View Post
Reminds me of "Arsenic and Old Lace".
Those were the nicest possible elder ladies.

Watch your top!
Hah! I had to look that up.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Tuesday was to be the week's only sunny day. Because I'm such a great guy, I called my girlfriend to cancel our plans so I could go out on the bike. Priorities.

I had thought I might go to Inveraray as I hadn't been for a while and not on the Honda. The road through Rest and Be Thankful would be great for the video camera. As it turned out my step dad (Bob) and my mum were heading to Dunkeld and asked if I'd join them. So I went there instead. Riding with someone else is a double edged sword with me. It's good to have someone to talk to (and buy lunch, thanks Bob!) but it also means that my usual habit of jumping off the bike to take photos every hundred yards can't really happen. I haven't been out with anyone for ages though so it was nice to shake things up a bit.

As I mentioned earlier there was a pretty close call quite early on when an old woman drifted onto the wrong side of the road. TBH I would've probably been better off just heading home at that point because I was pretty annoyed about it and started getting annoyed with anyone who came close to touching the white line from then on. At one point later on I peeped at a guy in a van who had strayed over when he was about a hundred yards away from me. Normally I wouldn't really bother about it but after the incident with the old lady I was letting it get to me. But we'll get to that.

Two minutes after the crazy old lady, I saw my first ever wild Hare. Two in fact. Apparently they're usually nocturnal but play about in fields in the spring, which is exactly where I saw the both of them. I might've taken pics here but chances are they'd have disappeared by the time I go the stuff out anyway.

As we turned off the road to head to Dunkeld, we saw signs that informed us that the road we wanted to use would be shut. We could still go to Dunkeld but it'd mean heading to the city of Perth and then north on the A9 (a very busy, dull and quite dangerous (because of the first two bits) road). If we carried on the road we were on though we were going through the Sma Glen. I've been here before and have a load of photos away near the start of the thread so I knew it was one I wanted to film. So I set up the camera while mum and Bob decided where to go. They decided on Aberfeldy.

So this is how it went:

Route:

So with the video going we headed to Aberfeldy. Here are some of the screen grabs from the video camera on the way.

Sma Glen:

As much as I was enjoying myself here, the incident with the old lady was playing on my mind. I was going much slower than I usually do (even for me) and found myself lagging behind Bob several times (bearing in mind he's two up on a 30 year old bike) to the point he was pulling in to let me catch up. So I was now holding them back as well. I really needed to have a break so Aberfeldy would be welcome.

Road to Aberfeldy:

Turns out I'd never been to Aberfeldy. Not that I could remember anyway, I might've been taken there as a child. It was a pleasant place to sit and have a juice in the sun anyway.

Aberfeldy:

"The Wheel Mill" where we ate.

We decided to go our seperate ways on the road home. I knew I'd just end up doing the same thing again and holding them back so I went via Killin. At least back there I'd be on familiar roads again.

Before that though I was heading to Kenmore and Loch Tay. I had never been on this road but it was quite nice. Not enough to get me off my bike though so you can tell it wasn't spectacular!

Kenmore is a great wee place. I haven't seen it on a sunny Saturday in July mind you but it's always so quiet and peaceful. The perfect place to relax by the water.

Kenmore:

The Beach

The pub and Castle gate

The view across the Loch from the bridge

I probably should have stopped and relaxed but pressed on instead. As I mentioned earlier I was not in a great mood and it was affecting my riding. Not a great situation to put yourself in. It was on this road alongside Loch Tay that I peeped at the van driver for crossing the line (I'm sure he'll survive but I was losing my temper). Looking back at the footage now that I'm all calm, the moment where he was across the line was so far away you can barely see it. The other incidents that happened were also pretty minor but when you're on edge like that you over think them.

Here's one where someone in a Fiat 500 (I think) crossed over the line. A non-event really but when you're on the lookout for these things you notice and remember them more.

Wide Fiat:

And then this one later on. That small sign at the road entrance completely blocked the driver's view of me approaching and when I noticed it, I had a wee moment where I thought he was coming out in front of me. Thankfully he ducked his head and stopped.

Sign:

The van/horn thing was about 30 seconds after that so my heart hadn't had a chance to slow down.

Anyway here's some more of the road next to the Loch.

Loch Tay:

At the end of Loch Tay is Killin, which you and I have seen a million times. I didn't stop.

Killin:

Again, I should have though. My concentration was all over the place. I left my indicator on for about a mile through Glen Ogle and still didn't realise when a biker sat in front of me flicking his indicators on and off. D'oh!

Then much further down the road when I was leaving Lochearnhead, I was over taking a guy in his 4x4. He had been dawdling all the way through Glen Ogle (even by my standards) so I went round him when we reached a nice big open road. As I moved out to pass he floored it, making sure I'd have to really go for it to get past. This was a guy that had been driving at 40mph for the previous 10 minutes.

At this point I did stop. The guy forcing me to stay on the wrong side of the road was too much. If I didn't stop and chill for a while I'd either kill someone else or myself. So I stopped in Strathyre, and sat by a bridge watching the river flow under it and a horse in the field across the water.

It did the trick and the ride home from here was much more like it.

Strathyre:

I do wish I'd had the video running when a guy skipped the lights coming back into Falkirk though. He was so late getting through that cars that had got a green light after his had turned red and had moved off from a standstill got to the road he wanted to go down before him. I suppose the theme of the day was poor driving so it was a fitting end.

My Flickr
Old 05-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #355
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Not the best day but any ride you return from is a good one in my book. Take a drive down here and youll be pleased with only a handful of near hits

More fun being upright
Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #356
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,712
I'd give my right arm for roads as interesing as that in my sun filled back yard.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:36 PM   #357
Blader54
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 859
An exciting day, but not for the riding....for the near misses. Maybe the gods were punishing you for canceling on the girl friend? Seriously, though, glad to hear you made it back to the barn w/o a scratch.
Blader54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:14 AM   #358
Matt 82 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Short and sweet

I've spent over an hour editing the Glen Etive video and it's just crashed and I'll need to do it all again. I could cry.

Took a long road for a short cut yesterday when I was going to see my gran. The weather was lovely (unlike today) so I thought I'd take a wee trip over the Forth Road Bridge. It's not a road I'm ever on as Kincardine Bridge is much closer and gets me across the water quicker. In fact the last time I was on it, it was still a toll bridge and that was over 5 years ago.

The pictures are a bit squint because last week when I handed my Drift HD to my uncle to have a look at he immediately started twisting the lens round (who does that??) and I obviously didn't manage to get it back to the way I had it before.

Forth Road Bridge:

Looking over at the older Rail Bridge

The roads here are always busy so I ducked off at the earliest opportunity and detoured through Culross (pronounced 'COO-russ' for some reason). Riding through Culross is always fun as the roads were designed for horse and cart so the roads are barely wide enough for traffic and there are blind corners everywhere. Here's a bus driving on the main road through town.

Culross:

I did manage to squeeze passed the bus when it stopped to pick up passangers. The round to the west of the town is fantastic and rarely has traffic. Though when it does it tends to be lorries making deliveries.

Last one. I had to laugh at the guy in the blue van here. He was going straight ahead but was sitting in the wrong lane. He cut in front of the black car there. Not sure they could make those arrows any clearer.

Tube:

My Flickr
Old 05-18-2013, 08:01 PM   #359
Dr Klaun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 391
Love your pic's and notes! Would really like to explore that part of the world someday!

96 R1100RSL (red)
08 TE610
Dr Klaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #360
kwakbiker
Studly Adventurer

Van driver in the wrong lane................that never happens

More fun being upright