Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #196
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeClone View Post
Buy this and turn it into something you use off road. Honda's official promo vid makes it look like a mini urban assault weapon to stunt on. And maybe it can be? But it's still a small bike and a rider can stunt on big bikes.

All that marketing aside, this is a dumb little motorcycle imo. A good scooter is much better a small bike in many ways. I have no idea why this would appeal to a scooter rider or a motorcycle rider, or like many of us, those who ride and have ridden both.

This bike has zero appeal for me as a street bike of any sort. As said, a little off road bike. Otherwise
Uhh...sure, you can learn on a liter bike...but it's sure as hell easier on a small bike. Simple relationship between rider weight and bike weight. It's alot easier to manhandle something closer to your weight.

Personally, I think their marketing is way off target for the us market for other reasons, although if you're going to get good at stoppies and wheelies...nothing beats a light, low cc bike with a clutch. Historically that meant dirt bikes in the States. But hey...bikes like the Grom are how it's done in Asia.

I think the ads are dumb bcs it's going to be short-lived when they start getting push back from nanny staters. Can't wait to see the follow-up effects from dumb-shits eating their teeth en masse in the alleys trying to recreate the shit they see while ignoring the "professional rider" warnings. But hey...it's marketing. It's about the image.

You're right, no scooter rider would rationally choose the grom over a scooter...but that's not the side of their brain telling them to pull out the credit card. I've ridden and have both scooters and bikes for decades...this might be the first one I ever buy retail.

DriveShaft screwed with this post 05-16-2013 at 08:06 PM
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:05 PM   #197
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0diabl0 View Post
I put down a deposit on a red one... can debadge it and tell people it's a ducati
That's why my SO likes it.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #198
rkwfxd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriveShaft View Post
Uhh...sure, you can learn on a liter bike...but it's sure as hell easier on a small bike. Simple relationship between rider weight and bike weight. It's alot easier to manhandle something closer to your weight.

Personally, I think their marketing is way off target for the us market for other reasons, although if you're going to get good at stoppies and wheelies...nothing beats a light, low cc bike with a clutch. Historically that meant dirt bikes in the States. But hey...bikes like the Grom are how it's done in Asia.

I think the ads are dumb bcs it's going to be short-lived when they start getting push back from nanny staters. Can't wait to see the follow-up effects from dumb-shits eating their teeth en masse in the alleys trying to recreate the shit they see while ignoring the "professional rider" warnings. But hey...it's marketing. It's about the image.

You're right, no scooter rider would rationally choose the grom over a scooter...but that's not the side of their brain telling them to pull out the credit card. I've ridden and have both scooters and bikes for decades...this might be the first one I ever buy retail.
Nannies don't seem to have had much effect on kids riding 100 mph wheelies down the freeway on 600cc sport bikes. They haven't seemed to have much impact on stunt riders at all. For the most part, near as I can tell, most stunt riders do their stuff in empty parking lots etc...

I doubt this will be much different.
rkwfxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #199
Dav101
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
MSX125 Class Racing during a Honda Sport Day

Looks like fun at a Honda Fun Day event with MSX125 Class.

I'm in my 40's and can't help but think renting a little Kart Track with these would be a great Birthday party idea. Better than a bouncy castle?

http://youtu.be/kN7IUXep8jY

Cross posted in Road Warriors thread.
Dav101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #200
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkwfxd View Post
Nannies don't seem to have had much effect on kids riding 100 mph wheelies down the freeway on 600cc sport bikes. They haven't seemed to have much impact on stunt riders at all. For the most part, near as I can tell, most stunt riders do their stuff in empty parking lots etc...

I doubt this will be much different.
No effect at all. Come on, let's face it, nannies tend to have effects completely unintentional by themselves. That won't stop them from going after...someone else.

I mean, personally, I just hope this is a means to have more competent stunters.
Old 05-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #201
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 874
Honey, I Shrunk the Buell Blast!

I was concerned that my bulk might look goofy on the PCX, but a full size person on this bike kinda reminds me of the circus... and a bear riding a bicycle.

Back in the day, I thought a Honda Trail 70 might be fun to hang on the back of an RV, but never owned one. This might be more akin to the "growed-up" version of that. It will be interesting to see (and sit on) one in person.

But, since this is on a scooter part of the forum, I don't see swapping the scoot for a Grom.

Captain Jim
Old 05-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #202
minimotos95
it's a KLR who cares

Oddometer: 172
I was thinking it looked more like a mini duke, it's bigger then my 70 but looks just as fun, i heard the top speed is 65mph... if i could get financed i think this thing would be worth the debt
"Monkey on a grape" as my father says
minimotos95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #203
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Honey, I Shrunk the Buell Blast!

I was concerned that my bulk might look goofy on the PCX, but a full size person on this bike kinda reminds me of the circus... ...
A full-size euro-descent white male, yes.. But hey...lots of us are fly-weights in comparison...particularly if you look at the way demographics are shifting...whether it's just the fly-weight 17-yo, or a woman, one of the scads of people ethnically from south/central America/Asia, but raised in the States... When I go back to my parent's country, I'm a friggin' giant in comparison, and I'm 5'-8". Well, ok, I'm "large." I guarantee you I'd "look normal" on a Grom, bcs it's actually not *that* low a seat, at 29" and change. It's definitely not *quite* as suitcase-sized as the original monkeybikes.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #204
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,853
Seems like this lil bike is getting a lot of buzz. Even Autoblog is reporting on it. (No new info in link, just providing the source) I hope they sell a ton of these!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/15/2...esome-w-video/

Looks like Jalopnik also is covering it.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM   #205
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,246
Cool little video:

Old 05-20-2013, 12:00 PM   #206
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by gore-tx View Post
Cool little video:

Cool vid but too bad it's in French!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:41 PM   #207
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
To me this is a kids bike, for someone maybe about 12. I had a B&S lawn mower engine powered Sears mini bike back then (couldn't afford a Honda Mini Trail) I would have loved something like this (back then) but now at 6' 225 pounds with a 34" inseam, I wouldn't even begin to fit on it. Yet I fit just fine on a 125cc scooter. I also fit fine on an XT225 and DR200. This thing looks small enough to be carried on the back of one of those bikes. Kind of reminds me of the Motocompo, or the MobyX. I can see Kids who used to ride gopeds before they got outlawed loving these. But they would seem to be worthless as either transportation or a playbike for an adult. Scooters and small street bikes make good transportation, and dirt bikes and dual sports make good playbikes. This thing even loos to small to put on the back of a motor home. It does look like a good pit bike to be ridden around in a parking lot.

While I don't see this as being worth much stock, it could turn into the next craze for modders and tuners, I can see longer swingarms, taller suspension, bigger wheels, all kinds if performance goodies, etc. You should be able to build a $10,000 bike out of a $3000 bike pretty easy, just like many are doing with the Ruckus.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #208
gore-tx
DOUBLE-O G

Oddometer: 2,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy the Heater View Post
Cool vid but too bad it's in French!
I know but at least it gives an idea about the looks and size compared to a normal sized human.

I have to say that as cute as it looks it is starting to be less and less appealing to me. Yes it would be a blast to ride but it has no practical purpose. The guy in the video says he is 5'10". I am 6ft tall and I think I would look pretty silly on it. I can't really see myself commute to work on one of those. I have a 10 mile commute that is a mix of city and back roads.

I'm still going to go take a look at it when it comes out but I think at this point I am going to look elsewhere.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #209
yooperbikemike
high, wide and handsome

Oddometer: 12,418
H2C (Honda subsidiary) accessory catalog

yooperbikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #210
DandyDoug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
I'm retired and the wife is going to be in about 18 months.
We are talking about a travel trailer or small camper motor home for a nice long trip. I see this bike as a great sanity keeper for me , hanging off the back end of either one.
At the end of a day on the road when i need to get away,
DandyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote