User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Menachem OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
Zumo 550 and ipad

Trying to plan for my trip (2 weeks seattle to BC to LA) a bit and am wondering if there is any way to transfer data from an ipad to the 550 for routes. Ive got the destination highways books so my thought was to use them and google maps to plan routes then transfer them to the Zumo for the next day.

Was thinking of not bringing a laptop along so I thought this could be an option. Any info appreciated.
06 DRZ 470 supertard
Menachem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
sleazy rider
Squidly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Down and dirty? No. I wish it were possible, but it ain't happening.
--Tom IBA #41627
Blog
sleazy rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
rifflebox
Yee Haw!

Oddometer: 203
You can create waypoints and routes directly on the Zumo. Just use the "Where to?" function from the main menu. You can add, edit, or delete waypoints and routes. Yes, it is clunky, but reliable. Of course, this only works if you have a mapset on the Zumo that supports routing, such as Garmin City Navigator.

If you are using a mapping program like Basecamp be aware that your results in generating a route may be different than with your Zumo. This can be due to different map sets or different routing preferences. The only way to be sure about a route is to have the Zumo calculate or recalculate it and then look at it on the Zumo to see if you are getting what you wanted. You may need to add intermediate waypoints if not.

You might want to download a copy of the Zumo manual and store that on your iPad.
rifflebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #4
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Oddometer: 267
I haven't done it, but it seems technically possible. I believe the 550 uses a standard SD card. If so, good, if not, perhaps an adaptor for the SD mini to fit the iPad. Save your route from Google Maps to the SD card on the iPad, insert the SD card into the Zumo 550, go get the map. Depending on your model of iPad, Apple sells adaptors for the pin and lightening model.

So, in my opinion, the real challenge is getting Garmin Maps and Google maps to talk to each other in a way that you are happy with the results. Probably saving as a .gpx file. There may be more moving parts here; but there's a work around somewhere.
PanhandleChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanhandleChuck View Post
I haven't done it, but it seems technically possible. I believe the 550 uses a standard SD card. If so, good, if not, perhaps an adaptor for the SD mini to fit the iPad. Save your route from Google Maps to the SD card on the iPad, insert the SD card into the Zumo 550, go get the map. Depending on your model of iPad, Apple sells adaptors for the pin and lightening model.

So, in my opinion, the real challenge is getting Garmin Maps and Google maps to talk to each other in a way that you are happy with the results. Probably saving as a .gpx file. There may be more moving parts here; but there's a work around somewhere.
Hey Panhandle.....

What? "...save the route from Google Maps to the SD card in the iPad..."

1. Please detail how to save route from Google to SD card on iPad. That is the issue.

As of now, you will need the iPad Camera Connection Kit to physically read an SD card on an iPad.

In order to actually write files to the SD card you will have to HACK (jailbreak) your iPad for access to the IOS file system. While done all the time, this is more than many iPad owners want to do to their $600+ device. See here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacki...d-sd-card.html

2. Please detail how to convert the resulting .gpx file into a route or track so the Zumo can see and use it. This function is currently performed by Mapsource or Basecamp on a PC/Mac. Do you have a process for doing that?

This Garmin software function does not run on iPad. Maybe there is a work around. I am not aware of any.

Good luck with that.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 AM   #6
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

http://youtu.be/mS34IHOd_WY

I'm going to send a few emails in an attempt to find a more reasonable way to do this....
Old 05-18-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
PanhandleChuck
3rdRockAdvRider

Ihendrik,
I get everything you said and agree with it. I use Basecamp for Mac at home to route plan and transfer to my Zumo. I think we all understand the OP's desire to travel with a single iPad vice laptop or both. Unfortunately, most of folks I know haul their Mac Air with them for the sole purpose of route planning.

It certainly appears any work around is still way to cumbersome to be worth the effort. I suppose a cheap netbook would be the easiest way until the process becomes much more user friendly. For what its worth, I knew the SD card was accessible for photo's, but thought there was an option to "Save" to the access point. It's only a matter of time.

r//Chuck