Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #8956
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo de la maximus View Post
Still waiting for the solo seat conversion, .
Solo seat conversion? I hadn't heard about this. Any details?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #8957
NLS
My bike needs washing...

Oddometer: 3,094
Has anybody heard of the buttons malfunctioning? (apparently "like the K1600")
Heard this from exactly one source in Greece...
NLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:48 PM   #8958
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLS View Post
Has anybody heard of the buttons malfunctioning? (apparently "like the K1600")
Heard this from exactly one source in Greece...
Ya, check this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=884688&page=4
Old 05-17-2013, 06:48 PM   #8959
nwpa
Generally amused

Oddometer: 499
Lots of bikes hitting the streets

It looks like shipments are hitting the US showrooms. I picked up my bike today, and an identical twin was being delivered today as well.

I put on a quick couple hundred miles. First impressions:

Transmission/shifting is very smooth. Yes, there is a clunk into first, but I've always had wet clutches so it seems normal to me. Very smooth through the gears. Neutral is a little tricky to find but its just a matter of training my toe. Better to be to hard to find neutral than too easy.

The kickstand peg interfered with my foot at first, and made it hard to find the shifter. By the time the day was done I hardly knew it was there. For me at least it seemed like my foot learned where to be and the "peg" became a non-issue (but it was irritating at first).

The switches do feel on the cheap side. I didn't have any real issues with location (and I have the GPS prep ring), but they aren't confidence inspiring.

The windshield puts the airstream right below my shoulders on low, and the top of my helmet on high. On low the rush of air is loud, but its a refreshing blast of air to cool off. I'm 6 feet even, short legs long torso.

I did a ten mile stretch on the interstate (just because). I'm coming from a sport-tourer with full fairing and panniers/top box. Highway riding was miserable on that bike -- the buffeting was violent. In my short run today the only material buffeting I had was on my body, not the bike. Compared to the previous bike and its huge profile, night and day different.

The ride was gloriously smooth at speed. Really surprisingly smooth. I hit a couple sharp frost heaves at lower speed (< 30mph) that gave my back a hit, but at speed the bike was just beautiful. No instability. I didn't do any standing 45 mph runs over washboard, but I felt no instability at any speed.

And finally the engine -- amazing amazing amazing. I was doing rollon passes in sixth that surprised me the way the bike added speed. It didn't take long to get a grip on the throttle sensitivity and by the end of the day I was driving in town without giving it a second thought. But give a sharp twist and the response makes you giggle.

nwpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #8960
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrownn View Post
Just came home from coffee
You're not helping to dispel negative stereotypes.
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:32 PM   #8961
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
You have to twist the throttle pretty hard (closed) to desengage the cruise control.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:29 PM   #8962
madefrtv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crilly View Post
You have to twist the throttle pretty hard (closed) to desengage the cruise control.
its purposeful, but not hard. you have to want to shut the cruise off.

whoa, dude...
madefrtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #8963
maximo de la maximus
Abracadabra Holmes

Oddometer: 56
not solo seat conversion; luggage plate for use with only front seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Solo seat conversion? I hadn't heard about this. Any details?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
My bad- I was referencing the luggage plate which goes in place of the rear seat if you choose not to have a pilion and want a flat rear deck. Check it out here:

http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/media/...ccessories.pdf

On my 05 I had the plate to attach a top box instead of the rear seat...hope this option becomes available for the 13 as it was handy for the top box but also other luggage configs (i.e. bike rack, clip in duffle, etc.)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #8964
oz97tj
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by madefrtv View Post
its purposeful, but not hard. you have to want to shut the cruise off.
You still get that quick deceleration though. I find it's smoothest to match the throttle with the rpm and give the front brake lever a very light tap. The cruise disengages seamlessly.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #8965
At adventure
AB

Oddometer: 132
New learnings / observations

I just got back from a 1100km weekend two up on the new LC -

Heaps less buffeting two up than on my 2010 OC GS. I think the flow through screen does this.

The two up suspension setting is very high. Probably comparable to the old big mountain setting. I need to be careful I am on level ground before my cheese and kisses dismounts. Very nice riding height though, especially on the dirt.

My wife thought the pillion seat was much more comfortable than the OC. I think the same of the riders seat.

Rode a fair few dirt road fire trails. The engine mapping and suspension adjustments on Enduro are perfect. The wider tyres feel more sure footed than the OC.

Fuel economy is about the same as the old bike (5.4l per 100km) but i probably rode a bit harder so I am happy with that. Still to put the panniers on (which arrived the day I left) so this might have an impact.

I had the dealer check out the front wheel vibration (Tourance) before leaving. He thought it was within normal tolerance but could notice it above 80km. He has had a few other clients with a similar complaint about the perrelli scorpions (on the OC) and said it may iron out after about 5000km. I will see! Vibe still there but really only noticeable on smooth roads in a straight line.

Great bike and I had lots positive comments from the riders of the seven other OC GS riders I rode with. Just clocked over 3000km.
At adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #8966
PeterGSA
NSW Adv Rider

Oddometer: 115
'I had the dealer check out the front wheel vibration (Tourance) before leaving. He thought it was within normal tolerance but could notice it above 80km. He has had a few other clients with a similar complaint about the perrelli scorpions (on the OC) and said it may iron out after about 5000km. I will see! Vibe still there but really only noticeable on smooth roads in a straight line.'

Interesting to see this. I went on a 600km ride today and noticed the same thing, I thought it was just me, so glad to see your comment.
Did you get your bike in NSW?
I'd like to speak to the dealer if so.
Old 05-19-2013, 05:56 AM   #8967
At adventure
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGSA View Post
'I had the dealer check out the front wheel vibration (Tourance) before leaving. He thought it was within normal tolerance but could notice it above 80km. He has had a few other clients with a similar complaint about the perrelli scorpions (on the OC) and said it may iron out after about 5000km. I will see! Vibe still there but really only noticeable on smooth roads in a straight line.'

Interesting to see this. I went on a 600km ride today and noticed the same thing, I thought it was just me, so glad to see your comment.
Yes Procycles Hornsby. The vibration only started after about 1500km. They (Anthony) said they would ask BMW to replace the tyre if I was not happy but are concerned that I might experience the same problem with a new tyre. I am trying not to be anal so will see how it goes after about 5k.
Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 AM   #8968
At adventure
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGSA View Post

I noticed you have sold a Multistrata for a LC. How do they compare? Cheers AB
Old 05-19-2013, 07:16 AM   #8969
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by At adventure View Post

I had the dealer check out the front wheel vibration (Tourance) before leaving. He thought it was within normal tolerance but could notice it above 80km.
Are their any balance weights on the front wheel?
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:35 AM   #8970
Bails
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
I am also a Multi Strada owner surfing between the LC and the new KTM. Was very surprised how well the LC performed compared to the old BM motor, used to have an RT as well up untill a few months back. Now I'm thinking of trading the Multi on one of these bikes but just can't seem to make up my mind. Hoping the right choice will sort of come to me. Have owned BM's for ages but like to try different bikes for the experience.