Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 07:45 PM   #5071
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryL View Post
So in reading through the related posts, it seems that some people end up connecting the throttle body vacuum ports to each other, and some plug them individually. Any rhyme or reason to this? I think I would be in the plug individually camp. I still have the tank off, so I may do this soon. Any input is appreciated...
I would be most interested in hearing conversations about this. I have had several Old BMW's and of course they had carbs. Some had the vacuum ports plugged and some had then connected. It did not seem to make any difference on the carbs.

FI could be a completely different story.

Marc
Old 05-18-2013, 09:05 PM   #5072
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,955
Quote:
So in reading through the related posts, it seems that some people end up connecting the throttle body vaccum ports to each other, and some plug them individually. Any rhyme or reason to this? I think I would be in the plug individually camp. I still have the tank off, so I may do this soon. Any input is appreciated...
In my past experiences with these canisters of doom , it was simply easier to remove the offending device and then plug the single line that led to it, thus effectively plugging both TB ports.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:50 PM   #5073
James Adams
Misplaced

Oddometer: 8,523
Quote:
So in reading through the related posts, it seems that some people end up connecting the throttle body vaccum ports to each other, and some plug them individually. Any rhyme or reason to this? I think I would be in the plug individually camp. I still have the tank off, so I may do this soon. Any input is appreciated...
I put a lot of thought into it and ended up connecting them together. Since the incoming air isn't directly measured for each side individually (only one TPS sensor), and the fuel is injected downstream of the vacuum ports, linking them together can't hurt, and it might even compensate for some amount of throttle body imbalance.
James Adams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 AM   #5074
ramli
real n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Well, versions without the canister are individually plugged in factory.
Not that anyone has to follow that, it may just be that it is cheaper and faster to use plugs than 40cm of hose.
ramli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:42 AM   #5075
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramli View Post
Well, versions without the canister are individually plugged in factory.
Not that anyone has to follow that, it may just be that it is cheaper and faster to use plugs than 40cm of hose.
When you remove the canister, you have lots of extra hose laying around, no need to go out and buy anything.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:50 AM   #5076
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Adams View Post
When you remove the canister, you have lots of extra hose laying around, no need to go out and buy anything.
I think he means for the factory...
Old 05-19-2013, 02:08 AM   #5077
James Adams
Misplaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
I think he means for the factory...
Ah yes, that does make sense. It's to bad that they fit the charcoal canister to all of the bikes over here. Damn you, California.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:31 AM   #5078
ramli
real n00b

Oddometer: 9
yes, exactly, meant initial assembly in the factory. You see, english is not my first language .
ramli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:01 AM   #5079
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Ah yes, that does make sense. It's to bad that they fit the charcoal canister to all of the bikes over here. Damn you, California.
Aye - it's odd that you have even more stringent laws than here, where as much as a flea's fart of any gas other than fairy breath is banned by terrible law and dread penalty
Old 05-19-2013, 05:49 AM   #5080
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Pulsing brakes fixed - no warped rotors!

I thought I'd post this up, in case anyone else has similar symptoms on their Stelvio. I was having pulsing/grabbiness on the front brakes when doing slow speed mild braking (~Under 30km/h ~15 mph) and was nervous that maybe I had warped discs on the front (I have ~9000km on the bike, but bought it with 7500, was suprised discs would warp that quickly).

However, after doing some searching, saw recommendations for how to clean floating disc brakes, as sometimes the little bobbins can get plugged up or seized, causing the symptoms.

I first tried some hard braking from speed to try and unstick things, then I used brake cleaner, and put a bolt with washers on either end through the bobbins, and turned them, forcing the bobbins to turn as well. Did all the bobbins, went for a ride and the pulsing grabiness with slow speeds is gone.

Just an FYI if anyone else has this issue!
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #5081
MotoG5
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Trax Side Boxes

Getting ready to travel this summer. I understand that he Trax side boxes are not water tight so will need some type of liner. I am ordering parts for my wife's MP3 from AF1 and they also handle Guzzi accessories. Has anyone used the factory Trax box liners? Kind of pricey at almost $200. Garbage bags are pretty cheap if somewhat tacky. Also looking at the box handle kits. Any input would be appreciated.
Note: My bike was built in Feb. of 2012 and came with the up dated center stand. Last time I talked to MPH Mike said they had still not heard about the upgrade kit that was announced last fall when I bought the bike. I believe the center stand was part of that deal. Who knows where that is at. Kind of a moot point I guess with almost 2k in the bike now. Only issues so far have been dealing with the aux lamps (Kirb's fuse kit on the way), cleaning and greasing the battery connections( two failure to start events) and vibrating hand guards (rubber pad inserted). Future plan is just regular maintenance, keep on the look out for loosening hardware and ride. Also a bit of wondering how long the tires will last and and when my mirrors will fall apart.
MotoG5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:37 AM   #5082
ripngrip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoG5 View Post
Getting ready to travel this summer. I understand that he Trax side boxes are not water tight so will need some type of liner. I am ordering parts for my wife's MP3 from AF1 and they also handle Guzzi accessories. Has anyone used the factory Trax box liners? Kind of pricey at almost $200. Garbage bags are pretty cheap if somewhat tacky. Also looking at the box handle kits. Any input would be appreciated.

Also a bit of wondering how long the tires will last and and when my mirrors will fall apart.
I bought the Guzzi Trax liners and the positives are they fit the bags perfectly, are waterproof, have a carry handle, and seem well made. The negatives are that they are way to expensive for what they are, plain bag liners. If I did it again, I would likely get the drybag or twisted throttle liners at half the cost http://www.dualsportplus.ca/hard_lug...cessories.html

And I think the build date of your boxes will determine if they are watertight, mine are the newer ones with the newer locks and improved seals, rode through couple hours of heavy rains a few times, and no leaking as of yet.

And for the mirrors, get the Euro signals and mirrors, night and day difference, the Euro style ones are clear at almost all speeds/rpm range for me
ripngrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #5083
dirtymartini
Shaken, Not Stirred

Oddometer: 2,582
Quote:
I put a lot of thought into it and ended up connecting them together. Since the incoming air isn't directly measured for each side individually (only one TPS sensor), and the fuel is injected downstream of the vacuum ports, linking them together can't hurt, and it might even compensate for some amount of throttle body imbalance.
+1 This was my line of thought also.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington
dirtymartini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:40 AM   #5084
boxermoose
Now fully goosed

Oddometer: 2,824
Quote:
I'm in the block each one off camp - did the same on airheads

Why? - because that's how it is when you balance the TB's - so when you connect them they are immediately different that as tested. However as miles go by the cross connection may have some benefits

At the end of the day it probably doesn't matter much
Old 05-19-2013, 08:14 AM   #5085
Toadride
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 818
I first just plugged them at the tee. Tucked back up there, sight unseen. Of my many teething problems, this unfortunately was one of them. Unbeknownst to me, the tee was resting against the head. Melted thru, disintegrated and to a while to find. Now rerouted with a straight across tube well out of the way of the engine. But I do feel that the best route would be to plug both and get that tube out of the hot zone.
And for the bags, my Trax with the heavier seals never leaked a drop with thru all kinds of crap. Destroyed in the accident, they have been replaced with the smaller seal types. I need to find out if the larger seals will fit on the older style bags and Todd, who did the work can send them up to me.