Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #181
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 7,049
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryRickenbacker View Post
Howdy,

Given the limited choices for scooters in my market (NW Louisiana), one becomes a Honda convert out of necessity. My Sh150i has been bulletproof for nearly 2.5 years. I love it's flat floorboard and confidence-inspiring 16 inch tires.
With the 300cc Forza Honda offers up the worst of both worlds: Smaller tires and a lack of flat floorboard for hauling one's stuff. No doubt more underseat storage will be available, so there is some compensation. Nevermind the unimaginative styling. Who knows? Yours truly may well wind up owning the Forza one day-especially if there continues to be no Kymco or SYm dealers in my area.
Smaller wheels make the heavy beast easier to flick around, and the tire
choices are great in that category too. I was carving corners on my Downtown
just as fast on my DT as I was on my Kawasaki 650R.

Michelin Power Pure's FTW.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 02:59 AM   #182
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skootah View Post
G

Purely off the line as in the first 6 - 10 metres, so not a drag racing comparison to see who would get to any referenced point B quicker ... simple initial acceleration interest here.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Skootah
I own an SH300i for a 20 mile commute in 30, 40 and 50 limits between Enfield and Brentford and have ridden a SH125i as a loan bike. The 300 moves off the line with a whiff of throttle as the same speed as a 125 on half throttle. The Forza is tuned for low-down torque rather than top end and I imagine that it would be quite brisk enough off the line for your purposes. I would first test drive the SH and see if you like the riding position and ride comfort compared to the PCX and then make up your mind.
As an alternative there is always the X-Max-400.
Weights are SH300 172kg, Forza 192kg, Xmax 400 212kg.
Weight is paramount for me in London.
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #183
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Hi new to the forum

Big time scooter/motorcycle enthusiast and long time lurker but never registered to join until the news about the Forza 300 coming to the states broke.

I was actually at my dealer who is owned by a good friend last Tuesday when he just got word. Funny thing is I asked him if he knew when it was coming? He said literally that morning he got news that is was coming but no release date or price. He sent a text to his Honda rep who replied back that is was $5,599. I raised an eyebrow because I thought it would be priced between $6,000 and $7,000. At that time no release date was announced but it looks like July or August. WOW..that is fast for Honda.

He asked me if I wanted to put down a deposit and I was tempted but I said I had some thinking to do. In the past I would have jumped on this new bike without even thinking about it but I am far more conservative now and do a considerable amount of study and thinking before I bite.

I currently have a 2001 Honda Reflex with 15K miles. I actually got it for free last year from a gentlemen who owned it new in my condo complex but he could no longer ride it or take care of it because of age related health issues. Up until 2008 it had all scheduled maintenance done. However it sat in the back of his garage since then and collected a lot of dust. It took some TLC to get it going and I have recently replaced the tires and a few pieces of broken plastic and it now looks as good as new. Also runs like a top and gets 69 MPG average and consumes no oil. Overall a pretty solid find. As they say the best things in life are free!

I have grown to really like the Reflex and consider it one of my favorite bikes now. However I am slightly concerned about its age, continued parts availability and its getting up there in mileage...maybe! It has always been well maintained until it was parked so I believe this one will last for many more years but some people have managed to kill them with less mileage. So in the back of my mind I have been saying this thing really could go at anytime.

Ever since getting the Reflex I have said that if Honda ever brings back a replacement I will jump at it. Well here we are Honda announced one so I am brain storming trying to figure out if I want to sell/trade the Reflex and get the Forza 300 or just be happy with what I got?

As much as I like the new Forza 300 I am having a hard time convincing my self to make the change. So far I find the Reflex a much more practical and suited for "Every Day Use" then the Forza 300. For starters the Forza 300 appears to have far less wind protection then the Reflex. This is not that big of a deal but something I noticed. Also its just the cost of switching that bothers me. At $5,599 it will end up being $6,500 by the time you pay the dealer fees and taxes. It seems hard to justify the expenditure when I seem pretty happy with what I got.

Making the decision even tougher I also own a 2005 Yamaha Majesty. Its got the wind protection and the storage that likely exceeds the Forza 300 and likely a bit more power as well. Down on economy a bit but I can get 61 MPG with the Forza if I really try.

So far I feel I already have my bases covered with what I got and they are all payed for. I have a feeling one day I will own a Forza 300 but so far I am thinking of just waiting it out a year or 2.
longhaul747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:37 AM   #184
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Hi new to the forum

For starters the Forza 300 appears to have far less wind protection then the Reflex.
Optional high windshield for the Forza

Hope this helps someone
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:14 PM   #185
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bentall View Post

Hope this helps someone
Yeah that makes a difference. I also have a PCX 125 so its not like I am disagree with the overall styling of the Forza 300. Basically the Forza 300 looks like a PCX on steroids witch its not a bad thing.

One thing that really bothers me about the Reflex is the old school carburetion. Here in the states we are using 10% corn ethanol and petrol blend and its just not very compatible with anything with a carburetor. The Reflex is a bit more tolerant as far as function but the fuel economy goes in the toilet and if it sits for more then a few weeks it takes about 5 cranks to get it going. Fuel Injection fires right up even after sitting for month(s).

I am very slowly trying to upgrade my whole fleet with fuel injection bikes but that is going to take some time.

In the scooter department I also have a Honda SH150i, Honda Elite (Lead) 110, Aprilia SportCity 250 and a Honda Silverwing 600. So I really have a little bit of everything already.

I would just buy a Forza 300 for the heck of it but I have no more room in the garage so something has to go and the Reflex is the most logical sense. Probably miss the first wave into the states but once they get one on the floor that just sits I will likely buy that one. I think the Forza 300 will sell well at first and then sit like the Reflex did.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:19 PM   #186
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,632
Quote:
Hi new to the forum

Big time scooter/motorcycle enthusiast and long time lurker but never registered to join until the news about the Forza 300 coming to the states broke.
WELCOME!!! I think you already have a scooter that can do what the Forza will, on the other hand a new scooter is always nice!! lol!! If I were you I would wait a year (like you mention) just to see what bugs (if any) and what new owners say after a full season, some have mention been concern about maintenance (valves)... So just wait for it.

I only have a 100 cc scooter but I will wait for people and mags to do reports on it, also I will compare it to the other 3 options in the 300 cc range (Kymko gt300, Vespa 300, and the BV350) they are all price around $6K +-

Damasovi
Old 05-18-2013, 12:29 PM   #187
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
WELCOME!!! I think you already have a scooter that can do what the Forza will, on the other hand a new scooter is always nice!! lol!! If I were you I would wait a year (like you mention) just to see what bugs (if any) and what new owners say after a full season, some have mention been concern about maintenance (valves)... So just wait for it.

I only have a 100 cc scooter but I will wait for people and mags to do reports on it, also I will compare it to the other 3 options in the 300 cc range (Kymko gt300, Vespa 300, and the BV350) they are all price around $6K +-

Damasovi
Yeah I am thinking I will wait a bit. I also have a Majesty 400 witch cured the minor lack of power on the Reflex. Only thing I don't like about the Majesty is the clutch is a bit slow in engaging and even though it has a lot of under seat storage (I bet more then the Forza 300 will have) its hard to use because the seat splits and opens in the middle. I always thought it would have been great if the rear seat opened towards the rear allowing full access to all the storage. Other then that the Majesty is near perfect. Not too big and not too small.

One reason to wait is after the initial launch is to see if Honda makes any revisions. For example with the PCX they went from a 125 to a 150 but kept the price the same. Had I not jumped on the PCX when it first came out I would have a 150. It turns out other then an extra 5 MPH they are much the same but a 150 has a better ring then a 125. I feel the PCX 125 here in the states is an orphan and dealers don't even want them on trade. Oh they will take it but they won't give you much for it. The 150's seem to be holding value much better.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #188
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,288
Quote:
Hi new to the forum However I am slightly concerned about its age, continued parts availability and its getting up there in mileage...maybe! .
Shoot! Just now getting broke in!
bikeridermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:42 PM   #189
gizmo309
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Quote:

Hope this helps someone
This should be on straight from the factory. IF I make the switch to the Forza I'll have one of these installed before I'd take it home. I wish the silver was coming to the US but the red looks good too. Can't wait to see one in person and to sit on it. If it feels more like a Burgman 400 than a Reflex I'm 95% sold.

Bob
gizmo309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:16 AM   #190
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
I own an SH300i for a 20 mile commute in 30, 40 and 50 limits between Enfield and Brentford and have ridden a SH125i as a loan bike. The 300 moves off the line with a whiff of throttle as the same speed as a 125 on half throttle. The Forza is tuned for low-down torque rather than top end and I imagine that it would be quite brisk enough off the line for your purposes.
There's no proof for this.

One single piece of information that IS available says that the Forza
and SH300i have peak torque at the SAME revs, and Forza has LESS
torque, just as it has less power. It's more likely it's just a less powerful
engine to conform to emissions regulations that keep getting worse and
worse.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 05-19-2013, 03:22 AM   #191
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Only thing I don't like about the Majesty is the clutch is a bit slow in engaging
$50 fix.
Dr Pulley sliders.

I'd forget about the Forza if I had the Majesty.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #192
sendler
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Quote:
In the scooter department I also have a Honda SH150i, Honda Elite (Lead) 110, Aprilia SportCity 250 and a Honda Silverwing 600 in addition to a Reflex, a PCX125, and a Majesty.
That is a great collection of machines. I'm sure that I am not the only one here that would love to see you start a thread to give us some comparisons on all of them. I know it would take hours of writing to even scratch the surface of a collection like that but maybe someday when you get the time you could enlighten us.
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:43 AM   #193
Dabears
--------------------

Oddometer: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by sendler View Post
That is a great collection of machines. I'm sure that I am not the only one here that would love to see you start a thread to give us some comparisons on all of them. I know it would take hours of writing to even scratch the surface of a collection like that but maybe someday when you get the time you could enlighten us.
Please- would love to see some pictures of all those lined up. Impressive! Where do you get the time to ride them all?
Dabears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:21 AM   #194
cbolling
Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Please- would love to see some pictures of all those lined up. Impressive! Where do you get the time to ride them all?
Yea, we need pics of this stable.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=661436
cbolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:51 AM   #195
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolling View Post
yea, we need pics of this stable.
+1!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote