Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #571
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,019
Sat on a demo Bolt yesterday, keys were in it so it had to be started. Potato, potato, potato....

Not bad! It was a black one, kept thinking something should have been on the tank.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:29 AM   #572
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,769
I'm in Myrtle for bike week and I feel compelled to ride up to Barefoot Landing to see the Bolt yet again, since my local guys STILL don't have one.

Bike week is a hoot and I plum forgot about going up North to the Star guys, since I'm down here in Surfside. It's all broken spoke and suck bang blow down here.

I'll post some pics of the display and stuff, if anyone wants some. We have plenty of owner photos, so it's not like no one has seen the bike.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:34 AM   #573
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
I would have a easier time believing your story if you hadn't led off with " A bike salesman didn't have time to take my money"
So the rest it just as unbelievable
Gary
Yeah, we've gone from naked anger to scripted fiction where the faithful are concerned with the Bolt. Star has hit a nerve.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:42 AM   #574
skysailor
Rat Rider

Oddometer: 3,468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Hog View Post
I would have a easier time believing your story if you hadn't led off with " A bike salesman didn't have time to take my money"
So the rest it just as unbelievable
Gary
Gary, I thought it a bit bizarre as well. They had ONE black 1200C, and he claimed they can't get another. I live 160 miles for the dealership, (check book in hand) and he knows that. He said...."We open bright and early Tuesday morning....." I honestly am going to buy a 1200C. I really LIKE it. The Yamaha/Honda dealer was open till 5:00 so I was just "looking" at the BOLT and CB1100. Absolutely NO interest in either bike. I do think the BOLT is UGLY!
Lyle
skysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #575
skysailor
Rat Rider

Gary....perhaps the CB1100 looks good in red....in white, it looks like a Fridge.
Lyle
Old 05-19-2013, 09:22 AM   #576
PonyExpres
ScratchinMyAss

Oddometer: 118
Star BOLT Test Ride Day at Houston Mototsports

Houston Motorsports asked me to come and talk to thier camera man about a test ride I took last year when I bought my V-Star 950 T. Their camera man interviewed me and asked me what I thought about the ride. Just in case they don't use my interview I brought my GoPro and did my own YouTube commercial for their Star - Bolt 950 Test Ride day.

Sadly, the rides started at 1:00 pm and Friday is a busy work day for me. I did not get to ride one but I did get lots of eye candy.
If you like bobbers you are going to love the new BOLT.

One thing they did not ask me about on camera or perhaps they did not know. Yamaha corporate sent me a $300.00 off purchase coupon that I applied after all of the other inscentives they gave me when I sadly traded my cherished V Star 250.

PS. I tried to post the YouTube video here but I guess I don't know how. Here is a link if you want to see it. Thanks

PonyExpres screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 02:38 PM Reason: Added Video
PonyExpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:34 AM   #577
Hulley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
I've been mulling over which bike to buy for over a month now, and when I walked into the Yamaha dealership yesterday I fell in love with the Bolt. I happen to think its a great looking bike from the day I had seen it in a mag. I've never owned a cruiser and what I like about the bolt is that its not a streched out fat bike that looks like it wont turn. I have a big motocross background and I like smaller, nimble bikes. What I like most is the price and I felt totally comfortable when seated. Kinda funny, many people talk about the fit and finish being poor, I've worked for a luxury car line for 18yrs and I think the finish was fine. Of course I would chang a few things but isnt that part of the whole cruiser/bobber thing? I had actually narrowed it down to the Bolt or Bonneville but I would need to do ALOT to a Bonnie to get it where I would like it where I think the Bolt only needs a few minor things to make me happy. I guess we'll see, I'm planning on buying it this week.
Hulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #578
Super Sneaky Steve
B@nned Club :D

Oddometer: 4,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailor View Post
Gary....perhaps the CB1100 looks good in red....in white, it looks like a Fridge.
Lyle
The CB1100 is the best looking four banger out there. You've just disqualified yourself of being the judge of any bike based on looks.
Super Sneaky Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #579
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
One thing I agree on is the bolt doesn't look good in white. Other than that, I still love mine
Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #580
skysailor
Rat Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
The CB1100 is the best looking four banger out there. You've just disqualified yourself of being the judge of any bike based on looks.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder young sport. So is ugly.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #581
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Maybe people in Canuckistan get enough white 9 months a year?
I would think the white would be nice since you could put a big red maple leaf on it.

I'm not a fan of the white Bolt, but I can't imagine buying a bike like that and not painting the tank a custom color. So, the color choice is really 2ndary to me.

I like the black because it's a good base for modding, but the black tank would probably get a repaint, depending on where I went with it.
Old 05-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #582
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

I like the black because it's a good base for modding, but the black tank would probably get a repaint, depending on where I went with it.
same here. Mine will get painted probably at the end of this summer, but i'm not telling what color. It's a surprise...LOL
Old 05-19-2013, 11:07 PM   #583
HondaFanatic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Nice video, bro Why not post this in the actual Bolt thread where it will be seen?

To embed from youtube:

1) click on "Share"
2) then click "Embed"
3) then copy the given link
4) paste directly into your post here

And that is one kick ass full line dealership y'all have there in Houston. I've never seen that many models under one roof
HondaFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #584
Gas Hog
Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post
Exactly
So there is a independent hardley shop somewhat close by that has a great rep for their engine work. They had "knowledge is power"..or something like that day and a S&S tech doing a 2 hour talk..now something like this never happens on my side of the mountain.

So I thought I would show up and support the thing, but also ask the S&S dude when they are coming out with a Big Bore kit for the Bolt

I roll up and first thing I notice is I am the youngest guy there
This is supposed to be a 2 hour slide show with question and answer..but I was the only one there not chain smoking camels..so I only lasted 15 min and I just got up and left.
So I tried to get some answers for the collective here but I am allergic to cigs and my eyes were starting to swell shut
As I was leaving it occurred to me that S&S has a phone
Gary
Gas Hog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:39 AM   #585
kraven
Hegelian Scum

You can have the cylinders bored and recoated. You can have custom pistons made by any company that does piston work. And you can have cams custom ground by any cam company that does custom cam work.

The big deal is durability on the lower case and oil pump. Maybe the con rods.

And after you get the engine breathing deeper with bigger pistons, you'll have to either remap the injection, buy new larger diameter or higher gpm injectors. Or you'll need to swap to a carb setup.

In my opinion, you could just work on the valves, ports, injection, exhaust, cams, and get a better ratio on the belt cogs, and you'd probably be happy with it.
It is, after all, an OHC 4valve, 950cc twin. So, it's not exactly a pipsqueak. It's got a lot of potential.