Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 08:08 PM   #136
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Oddometer: 3,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Now to just stay awake at all times.....
That is the crux of the problem.

When the first hint that a bear is threatening you is when you wake up with your gun-hand arm in its mouth as it drags you out of your tent... it really doesn't matter what size cannon it is that you can't reach.
Haul Road Primer
Alcan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:01 AM   #137
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Bear spray ?

Some where in the past, I have read about a Bear Spray that is a little more stream projecting than the Counter Assault brand.
Any suggestions what this brand is ?
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #138
numbthumb
stoic in training

Oddometer: 25
Things NOT to do with bears Part II

Consider this twit;

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11...n_2155627.html

Don't follow the animal into the bush to get a great picture to share on Facebook!
numbthumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #139
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,808
I understand the irony/humor of the mini gun, but that thing is ludicrous. Stupid movie and video game stuff.

A human couldn't lift a mini gun and ammo and batteries to fire one for 20 sec., let alone have the strength or weight to hold it on-target. A person would be flat on their back before the gatling got wound up to speed.

I hope the bears never find out how afraid all these cheechacos are of them

thetourist screwed with this post 05-12-2013 at 06:11 PM
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #140
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
OK guys, seriously, bears are not a big deal. Much less of a problem than crashing, having your stuff messed with, whatever. Camp carefully, don't be a goof. Yes, tourists have coated their childs hands with honey to get a picture of the bear licking their child - and it bit both hands off. But if you avoid that sort of behavior, little ill is likely to happen to you. Relax. And would you hate your parents when you grew up?
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:48 PM   #141
Steamer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Bear spray circle

Would you feel any better about sleeping if you took your bear spray and made a wide circle of spray on the ground around your tent. Could this act as a deterrent to a curious bear?
Steamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM   #142
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Would you feel any better about sleeping if you took your bear spray and made a wide circle of spray on the ground around your tent. Could this act as a deterrent to a curious bear?
That sounds too much like the guy who used bear spray just like insect repellent, coating his family members, thinking it would serve as a deterrent.

No, it would probably have the opposite effect.
Haul Road Primer
Old 05-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #143
Callahan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Use Ammonia
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 PM   #144
Xylx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Pee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
Use Ammonia
Pee. I used to do that in the AK bush. Made me feel better.
Best story I heard were these guys from NY who rented a USFS cabin in Yakutat to go fishing. They bought bear spray. Bear showed up, so they went to the door and attempted to spray the bear. The wind blew the pepper cloud back in the cabin and they ended up spending the night outside with the bear.

I was in an outdoor store once in Juneau where the tourist was asking how to apply the bear repellant on himself. I thought that was pretty funny
Xylx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #145
bush pilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,461
At our fall cariboo hunting camp on the squirrel river there was a brown bear who would patiently wait till we left. Then come in and ravage the camp. Always made a big mess. Would happen year after year. On year after returning to clean up and take home the leftover booze and food. I noted how the bear had twisted the cap off a half gallon bottle of Jack. The leftover booze was usually my bonus. I was kinda pissed at that. They like beer too just bite open the can.
Some years later I heard my boss finally shot that bear.
Iron Butt #35784

bush pilot screwed with this post 05-19-2013 at 01:31 PM
bush pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #146
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xylx View Post
Pee. I used to do that in the AK bush. Made me feel better.
Best answer, do what makes you feel better. There are lots of home remedies, moth balls, you name it. Some have been tested, none work, so do what you feel good about. Bears are curious and will try almost anything, so...as for spraying bear spray on the ground, one study noted that black bears seemed to come back to investigate that, as now it's dissipated pepper. Yum. Use as intended, it does work.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #147
Alcan Rider
Frozen Fossil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquadog View Post
Best answer, do what makes you feel better.
Yup. Many, many years ago I listened to a lady who lived by herself in a mostly-abandoned village (Loring) north of Ketchikan. She liked to go camping on the nearby mainland or one of the nearby small islands, all inhabited by bears, either blackies or browns. Bear spray was decades from being invented but she had her own form of protection: a jug of adult beverage. She related that when she heard bears roaming around near her tent she would take a swig or two. If she still heard bears, she tipped the jug again... and again, if called for.

Did that remedy keep bears away? No, but after a while she just didn't care, and the fact that she passed away of old age many years later testified to the efficacy of her method.
Haul Road Primer
Old 05-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #148
aquadog
Dude Buddha

I like that one too. We had a seminar with a senior bear biologist from your neck of the woods, and he was rueful that in about 25 years of working with bears he had never been charged. Saw him a couple years later and he was happy to "be in the club", although it was a bluff charge. Different point of view, illustrates that bears are not naturally all that fierce.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:24 PM   #149
Juggernaut
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Yeah, too many mountain man wannabes out there. Just realize if you ever get charged, maimed, or even killed by a bear, there's a 99% chance that it was your fault for not thinking things through in the first place. Don't be an idiot.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:13 AM   #150
duitswes
NAM Biker in CA

Oddometer: 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan Rider View Post
That sounds too much like the guy who used bear spray just like insect repellent, coating his family members, thinking it would serve as a deterrent.

No, it would probably have the opposite effect.
+1 Dont spray yourself. You may taste better.
duitswes is offline   Reply With Quote