User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 186 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:37 PM   #1696
Smithy
Avoiding the Skid-Demon

Oddometer: 7,639
And that $330 is just for the lower piece - the tentcot is sold separately, though shown in the trailer product. That's another $170-$190. $520 is a lot for something with cheap parts. I'd rather get an old Burley and fab it up myself.
Smithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #1697
Aghartha
Awesome

Oddometer: 340
There's no way I'd want to drag all that shit behind me on a bicycle, and I'm pretty doubtful it would hold up behind a motorcycle. Seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Aghartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:21 PM   #1698
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,348
Brought it Home Today

Had the tongue extended 3ft with expanded metal on the deck, a receiver hitch on the rear, attached to the square tubing which runs from the tongue to the rear of the trailer, up graded to to 14" wheels w/tires rated for 3,600 lbs, axle checked to make sure it will handle the added weight (180lbs in material), weight distributions bars added with a heavy duty hitch.

I'm going to do a couple of shake down runs before I add the bike to the tongue (I will bolt on a aluminum rail for my bike), just to make sure the Colorado will be OK with the added weight (I'll be close to 3k lbs loaded w/o the bike).
Tranny cooler is next on the list.

The Fabshopz http://www.fabshopz.com/ did a excellent job fabing the trailer to my needs.

I'll post some pics of the inside soon.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #1699
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post

Had the tongue extended 3ft with expanded metal on the deck, a receiver hitch on the rear, attached to the square tubing which runs from the tongue to the rear of the trailer, up graded to to 14" wheels w/tires rated for 3,600 lbs, axle checked to make sure it will handle the added weight (180lbs in material), weight distributions bars added with a heavy duty hitch.

I'm going to do a couple of shake down runs before I add the bike to the tongue (I will bolt on a aluminum rail for my bike), just to make sure the Colorado will be OK with the added weight (I'll be close to 3k lbs loaded w/o the bike).
Tranny cooler is next on the list.

It is probably perspective, but the tongue looks like it has significant deflection from this photo!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:38 AM   #1700
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rash View Post

Hey Tom, nice rig. Can you put your TE610 on the back hitch of the trailer?
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #1701
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
It is probably perspective, but the tongue looks like it has significant deflection from this photo!

Jim

The tongue is straight, what you are seeing is the combination of the angle of the driveway, and the hitch being slightly higher then the tongue, which I may adjust down a notch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzar View Post
Hey Tom, nice rig. Can you put your TE610 on the back hitch of the trailer?
The 610 or the DRZ will go on the front, and the back might be used for Sue's Ruckus depending on where I'll be with weight once the trailer is loaded. The Colorado is rated for 5K lbs, but I want to keep it under 3.5K. If I get to close to my weight goal, I'll just use the rear receiver for something light like a bicycle rack or small generator.

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #1702
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
http://www.steelwheels4x4.info/-/ste...79&searchTerm=

Interesting trailer build
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #1703
mattlikesbikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
Interesting to say the least. That is an intense trailer. There is more technology there then all my house and cars combined.

I was thinking about something similar the other day. Some contractors doing a house near me had converted one of the all in truckbed/tool boxes (like the power company uses) into a trailer. Put a raiseable platform on top with a platform tent and you've got a pretty tranformable trailer. You could even raise the platform and park a bike between the two side tool boxes.
Old 05-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #1704
Zapkat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
We picked up a new-to-us Kwik Kamp a couple of weeks ago - dragged it home with the car. Just waiting on the hitch for the RT to arrive, then we'll be trying it out at the RA rally at the Biltmore in June.
Zapkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #1705
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattlikesbikes View Post
Interesting to say the least. That is an intense trailer. There is more technology there then all my house and cars combined.

I was thinking about something similar the other day. Some contractors doing a house near me had converted one of the all in truckbed/tool boxes (like the power company uses) into a trailer. Put a raiseable platform on top with a platform tent and you've got a pretty tranformable trailer. You could even raise the platform and park a bike between the two side tool boxes.
You mean a utility bed?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/exped...ility-bed.html

I have thought of using one for my big truck, but most of the ones I have looked at are not very watertight, are heavy, and usually made of steel. The used trucks I looked at with utility beds were rusty.

So a person would want a higher quality utility bed made from aluminum or stainless, and those cost money.

My plan is to replace the steel flatbed on my truck (8x8x12) with an aluminum one and put one of these on it:

Mil-surplus S280 Command Shelter

The dimensions are just right; roughly 7' W x 12' long x 7' tall. They cost about $2000, they are somewhat insulated, they are built tougher than any commercial RV camper and they are lighter too (1400#). The only real downside to them is that the paint on them is carcinogenic so you don't want to sand the paint off - you either make do with it as is or paint over it.
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #1706
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
That thing is incredible! I wish they had done shots of the actual build instead of just the end product, but regardless, that's one awesome set up!

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #1707
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,014
My neighbor has a Casita 15' that he bought new. He showed it to me the other day. He's had it for several years now. Coolest thing. The clamshell fiberglass construction seems to be bulletproof and I love the inside where the walls are like a boat inside, smooth easy to care for finish. Nice bathroom size too, and just enough comforts to get you by. Says it's 2700 lbs and pulls like a dream with a small vehicle. He uses it hunting when it's cold out and loves it.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:55 PM   #1708
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
My neighbor has a Casita 15' that he bought new. He showed it to me the other day. He's had it for several years now. Coolest thing. The clamshell fiberglass construction seems to be bulletproof and I love the inside where the walls are like a boat inside, smooth easy to care for finish. Nice bathroom size too, and just enough comforts to get you by. Says it's 2700 lbs and pulls like a dream with a small vehicle. He uses it hunting when it's cold out and loves it.
I don't believe Casita ever made a 15', but a 13' a 16' and a 17'. Either way, I have a 17' myself and love it. Can't pull it safely, IMHO with a really small vehicle but a smallish truck or SUV with a 6 cyl handles it nicely.

It has everything you need, unless you need a hell of a lot of room. Not for living in, but a fantastic towable hotel room substitute.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:01 PM   #1709
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 6,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
I don't believe Casita ever made a 15', but a 13' a 16' and a 17'.
Yeah he must have the 16, it's not the real short one. Towed it with his minivan easy, mostly uses an F150.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:47 AM   #1710
Hodag
native

Oddometer: 22,787
Love the casitas
Hodag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: