Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 181 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 AM   #1711
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodag View Post
Love the casitas
One popped up on Craigslist around here maybe 3 months ago for like 4800 bucks. Gone in the blink of an eye.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #1712
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyRascal View Post
One popped up on Craigslist around here maybe 3 months ago for like 4800 bucks. Gone in the blink of an eye.
They don't last long. Casita has a pretty cool referral program too if you're ever interested in checking one out close. Just contact Casita. They only sell out of their place in Texas where they're made, but have a directory of owners so you can check one out anywhere in the country pretty much.

Also a Casita forum where there are usually a couple for sale.

Bought mine new and picked it up in Texas, of course you get a tour of the factory. Pretty fascinating.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
hppyfngy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:59 AM   #1713
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
They don't last long. Casita has a pretty cool referral program too if you're ever interested in checking one out close. Just contact Casita. They only sell out of their place in Texas where they're made, but have a directory of owners so you can check one out anywhere in the country pretty much.

Also a Casita forum where there are usually a couple for sale.

Bought mine new and picked it up in Texas, of course you get a tour of the factory. Pretty fascinating.
We picked up a mint used 17' in FL last year, and brought it back to MA. We love it, I just have to figure out how to bring a bike at some point too.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:05 AM   #1714
CptSydor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Just picked up a 2008 t@da by Dutchman.

Decided, after spending too much time and effort looking for hotels close to MTB bike races and riding adventures (and most weren't that close), not to mention most allow on site camping, it was time take the plunge and get a small travel trailer.

I had read through this thread as a small trailer had always been on my mind.

Criteria we had. 1) Queen bed (preferably already set up). 2) Dining area (preferably not the bed). 3) Indoor shower/washroom with hot water for post ride/race clean up. 4) Small kitchen/Fridge. 5) Full hard shell trailer so we could essentially pull in/over late at night and be ready to sleep with minimal fuss.

Really wanted to buy a used trailer to keep that initial cost down (and minimize the damage should we decide we aren't that into RVing, though I doubt it). We also have only 1 vehicle, and while we don't drive much, preferred something that was relatively fuel efficient and smaller, but still capable of towing. (There would be a new vehicle purchase in this process, my ford focus wasn't up to the task).

That was proving to be tough combination. Many used trailers were available, but it looked as though we would need 4500 - 5000 lbs towing capacity. Most of the small ones meeting our criteria were 18-20 ft with dry weights over 3200 lbs.

The question was, get a larger SUV (explorer, pathfinder, highlander) or midsize truck (crew cab Frontier/tacoma) and have an easier time getting a used RV? Wasn't happy with the fuel milage and/or purchase costs of these. Second option was to hold out for a light weight camper to come up (few and far between). Decided on this.

Decided on a 2013 Ford Escape, 2.0 L ecoboost 4WD with tow package. Rated for 3500 lbs. Got super lucky this trailer came up only 5 km down the road. The woman was away, the moment she got back, viewed it, everything looked good, SOLD.

Only pulled it 10 km to a storage lot, Escape was just fine in the flat lands (which is where it will pull most of the time). Cleaned it out this weekend, got it all set up for the first adventure next weekend.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM   #1715
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,995
That's a cool looking trailer. I see the R-Pod things are extremely popular, way backordered at the manufacturer last time I talked to a dealer about them. Makes sense more of that type would be coming onto the market.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 PM   #1716
Linzi
Volvo Driving Soccer Mom

Oddometer: 15,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahGuido View Post
Saw this at the OR Show in Salt Lake in January:

Designed by a fellow who designs (among other things) space habitats for NASA. It shows. Fits in a garage. Very comfy for two. And very light at 1300 lbs. And very expensive at around $17K. But after spending some time in it you kinda start thinking that it's worth it. It's a prototype so if he were to license the design to a mass producer the price would drop. One major drawback is that the rear hatch is not big enough to fit a bike in. Future iterations may have a receiver for a hitch built into the back for a bike mount, but then you'd have to balance the thing with weight up front. All in all a hell of a nice lightweight camper.
So, three years later, does anyone ave experience with one of these? 'Cause me likey.
Linzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #1717
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
Inside pics would be appreciated if you got spare time... ;)

Can I ask how much this kind of thing costs used?
Old 06-07-2013, 07:20 AM   #1718
CptSydor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtDuster View Post
Inside pics would be appreciated if you got spare time... ;)

Can I ask how much this kind of thing costs used?
Here is a brochure.

http://dutchmen.com/image/data/docum...%20Rev%202.pdf

Here is a video tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSUk7zvQCto

Heading out on our first adventure in a few hours, so I'll try to snap some real life pics.

I picked it up for $8,000 Cdn. From the research I was doing, given the limited availability of fully functional travel trailers with dry weights under 2500 lbs, seemed to fair to me. Quick google search shows the used prices are generally around $12,000 US. Seems high to me, but I think the 'cute' factor adds a premium, on top of the ultralight weight.

Just as a note: The trailer is small (only 6.5' wide and a 5'9 ceiling, with low headers on the entry and bathroom door). It's meant for a short, and not so wide couple.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #1719
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post

Just as a note: The trailer is small (only 6.5' wide and a 5'9 ceiling, with low headers on the entry and bathroom door). It's meant for a short, and not so wide couple.
Interesting to note. I'm 6'1" and I can stand up straight in the Casita. Not to my 'full height' but without bending my neck anyway. My head touches if I stand straight up.
Neither one made for heavy set folks I'd say, and bathroom hatch is... well it's a hatch. Duck a little and step over. And I can stand up straight in the head, but my head is against the curved ceiling.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Old 06-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #1720
Patrick46
visionary

Oddometer: 2,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
Interesting to note. I'm 6'1" and I can stand up straight in the Casita. Not to my 'full height' but without bending my neck anyway. My head touches if I stand straight up.
Neither one made for heavy set folks I'd say, and bathroom hatch is... well it's a hatch. Duck a little and step over. And I can stand up straight in the head, but my head is against the curved ceiling.
not a big deal...Casita's cram ALOT of living into a very small space.

www.artworks-unlimited.com
Patrick46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:11 AM   #1721
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick46 View Post
not a big deal...Casita's cram ALOT of living into a very small space.
Obviously I agree since I've had mine since new in '06 and wouldn't think of selling it.

It is small though. I wouldn't like to "live" in it.

But I think about my camper like I do a hotel room in Paris. I need a place to change clothes, take a pee, keep my beers cold and crash when the day is done.

It's a perfect little rolling "room." And unlike a pop-up, I can roll in for a quick nap or make a sandwich without setting anything up. Many times rolling on to a camp site and doing nothing but going back and going to bed. Damn handy.

'13 KLR650 ~ For Sale!
Old 06-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #1722
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,506
So, I am thinking of selling my KTM 950 and getting a Can Am Spyder so the wife and I can do some road trips.

This looks like a great addition for camping.

http://www.microlitetrailer.com/MLThome4.htm

DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #1723
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarNick View Post
So, I am thinking of selling my KTM 950 and getting a Can Am Spyder so the wife and I can do some road trips.

Arghhhh! Everyone knows that only old people get Spyders!

(Actually, I have been looking at them too, just in case my vertigo doesn't go away )
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:57 PM   #1724
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

(Actually, I have been looking at them too, just in case my vertigo doesn't go away )
I'll be 32 in September! Yes, I have been told the same, that the original GS and the new RS/RSS are for everyone while the RT (touring) is for old people. Oh, well
DakarNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #1725
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post

You too, huh? I came down with Vertigo for the first time ever a few weeks ago. I go for vestibular rehab on the 27th. Hoping for the best...

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: