Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #46
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Why can't a freeway capable engine be put into a scooter say the size of a Zuma 125 or close? Actually I guess that is what Genuine almost did with the Buddy 170. Make it a full 200cc and it should be a great cross country ride.
Vespa GTS or GTVs aren't that much bigger than a Zuma and are very freeway capable. Our Buddy is just a bit too light and with 10" wheels not as solid on the freeway as my GTS 250. Sports City 250 with its larger wheels still isn't that much bigger but is rock solid on the freeway as well. I just did 500 miles in a combination of I-40 and various state highways at 70-80mph on the Sports City in one day (1708 over the course of 4 days) , only issue was a burned out light bulb (5 year old scoot). I find the Sports City's floorboard area a little short for me but it suits my son and husband very well. Personally I'd have preferred the GTS for the trip but it wasn't really my choice on which one to ride. Still considering the 2014 Scooter Cannonball on the GTS depending on the route and timing.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #47
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 683
second vote for the sportcity 250. it's roughly the same size/weight/wheelbase as the sh150i, but has MUCH better midspeed acceleration and is very freeway capable -- it gets up to 75 without a hitch and can be worked up to 85. it's an excellent scoot.
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #48
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,908
Quote:
Actually I guess that is what Genuine almost did with the Buddy 170. Make it a full 200cc and it should be a great cross country ride.
The Buddy 170i is prone to overheating (CEL) pronto when pushed to freeway speeds for more than a brief stint...it's just too much for that platform.

Having worked at a Genuine Scooter dealership I would still pick the Genuine 125cc and dispel any thoughts of freeway use with it. Having said that we had both a 150 Blackjack and a 125 Italia in our personal collection for several yers and the only difference was in the fuel consumption.

The 125 is the sweet-spot for that powerplant design.

If/when Genuine launches a larger scooter Im certain it will be wrapped around a different engine design....in fact it will have to be.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #49
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,975
It's all relative. Middleweight motos are about the bulk of maxi scooters. Motos often lean, brake, and handle rough pavement differently from scooters. Most scooters tend to have smaller wheels/brakes/bars/travel. The rake, trail, and weight bias could also be considerably different for most.

I know that my 650 thumper dualsport is a lot more flickable than my 600 I4 UJM and their weights aren't hugely different. The rake, trail, bars, and weight bias are very different though.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #50
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,844
The Sport City is obviously highly thought of here. Only problem is there are none available new in my state. If I could have anything I wanted, it would be the Vespa 300 Super. But that is a $10,000 scooter here, by the time the dealer gets through adding on all the "fees", and that is a bit over my limit. I have sat on one, and it does feel like a traditional scooter to me. So does the original Elite 250. To bad about the Buddy 170, but I've heard that a number of other places as well. Maybe if it were liquid cooled it wouldn't have that problem. The current trend seems to be more toward the maxi design, even for smaller scooters, like the PCX150.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:01 PM   #51
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Maxi

I'll take mine in white, no don't have to kick it, I don't know how much it weighs, I'm not sure of the foot lbs, or the torque, but I know it's fun to ride, and I can get by with parking it just about anywhere . But, I think my Prius gets better gas milage, than any scooter rode by me!
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:46 AM   #52
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I am looking at probably getting a midsize motorcycle in the future but have very little interest in a large Maxi Scooter. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Maxi Scooters, just that for my style of riding, a motorcycle would work better. It all depends on how you plan on riding it.

Unlike most here in Battle scooters, I prefer a manual transmission over auto. I have come to like the CVT's on my small scooters, especially around town, but on the mountain roads I really like riding, a manual just works better. I also like to ride off the pavement and scooters just don't have the suspension or ground clearance of something like a DL650 or Versys. They also don't have enough cornering clearance for me except maybe the T max.

Where the Maxi Scooters have a big advantage, IMO, is for touring. The Maxi's have great built in storage, good wind protection and comfortable seats. If I wanted to do a lot of long distance two up touring I'd be looking at something like a Burgman 650. IMO, The Burgman is more of a replacement for something like a Gold Wing rather than a midsize motorcycle. Compared to a Gold Wing, the Burgman suddenly looks pretty light weight and inexpensive.

However, while I have owned and/or ridden hundreds of motorcycles, I don't have that much experience with Maxi Scooters so I may end up changing my mind and getting one in the future.
this post reflects my thoughts. and having rode scooters a few years before MC's i have come to believe them small bikes, preferably with smaller wheels. for nimbleness and maneuverability around city streets where a scooter really shines

for me a maxi is for touring or straight line highway use. i don't ride one but would need a physical limitation to do so. and even those with hand and foot problems can opt for an auto trans from Honda in a motorcycle these days. it may be seen as a compromise bike, but its still a motorcycle. and for me a scooter is still a small thing, not a big one

a BIG scooter for me is sort of like that small motorcycle Honda just put out might be for others. it's just the opposite of what i would like a scooter to be. which is a small. lightweight, around town bike. thats it. a maxi is "more." for me a scooter is about less

until it has to be otherwise. if it has two wheels whatever it is, i want to be on it until i leave this earth. so if a cushy maxi scoot is in my future somewhere down the road, i am sure i will be ready for it. not just yet, though
Old 05-20-2013, 12:48 PM   #53
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I have a Genuine Stella, which is a 150cc scooter with a manual transmission. Unfortunately it is not modern, it is an Indian made copy of a vintage Vespa. It looks great, and is a blast to ride around locally on, but not reliable enough for long distance travel, which is to bad, since it's manual transmission would be great for climbing mountains. I have wanted a modern, reliable scooter with a manual transmission for a long time. I don't see there being a big market for such a bike, but it seems there would be a big enough market for one or two manufacturers to sell them. IMO, the Zuma 125 would be great with a 150cc engine and a manual transmission.

Small motorcycles have their place. I would love to have a 250cc cruiser with tubeless tires. I can't handle the riding position of a sport bike. So far the best I've been able to do is an XT225 with a centerstand. At least I have a way to fix those tube type tires out on the road or trail.
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #54
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/14/161...n-Part-II.aspx

Comparing the NC700X and the BMWGT650. Actually, not a great review. IMO, the Honda and the BMW are for different purposes. I could see the DCT Honda vs. the BMW Sport, that might actually be a better comparison.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 PM   #55
JerryH
Vintage Rider

I think the Honda CTX700 DCT vs the Silverwing or Burgman 650 would be a good comparison. All 3 should be comfortable highway cruisers, but I see the CTX being more maneuverable in town, due to it's being narrower with bigger wheels.
1980 Puch moped
Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #56
DudeClone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,579
Quote:
I have a Genuine Stella, which is a 150cc scooter with a manual transmission. Unfortunately it is not modern, it is an Indian made copy of a vintage Vespa. It looks great, and is a blast to ride around locally on, but not reliable enough for long distance travel, which is to bad, since it's manual transmission would be great for climbing mountains. I have wanted a modern, reliable scooter with a manual transmission for a long time. I don't see there being a big market for such a bike, but it seems there would be a big enough market for one or two manufacturers to sell them. IMO, the Zuma 125 would be great with a 150cc engine and a manual transmission.

Small motorcycles have their place. I would love to have a 250cc cruiser with tubeless tires. I can't handle the riding position of a sport bike. So far the best I've been able to do is an XT225 with a centerstand. At least I have a way to fix those tube type tires out on the road or trail.
oh i like small motorcycles myself. but this Grom just seems a novelty of sorts. unless you're a very small person. very small....

a scooter of the same size with its seating position and auto trans is more bike for most. i am sure some hearty adventurers will make the most of Honda's little bike, but it sure has nothing that calls to me

now what you describe, because of the different design of a scooter, that sounds sweet. say 200cc of strong shifty on 12in wheels? sign me up

but tiny motorcycles need not apply
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.HOUND View Post
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/14/161...n-Part-II.aspx

Comparing the NC700X and the BMWGT650. Actually, not a great review. IMO, the Honda and the BMW are for different purposes. I could see the DCT Honda vs. the BMW Sport, that might actually be a better comparison.
i like how the "scooter guy" rider in the comparo liked the motorcycle more then the big scooter, and found the mc more "scooter like." sounds like my kind of mc :)

these guys did not care much for either the Honda or one of the BMW scoots or the other. seems they thought they were just OK :/