Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #256
Ricky Chuck
Red Green Rulz!

Oddometer: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDenial View Post
Great thread. As I read the posts, I agree that you can do at 20 what you can't do at 59 (although you still think you can). So riding at 20 is a free wheeling fun adventure.

My concern for you is: you talk of retirement and waiting until then. Well, how do plan to fund your retirement? During your working years you need to put away an additional years salary to live on after you retire, because you're the one responsible for raising it. The government isn't going to give you any and social security will be dead by then. You need $1million in the bank to give you $40,000/yr to live on when you retire. Think about it----and start saving.

The other concern is: stay single if you want adventure. Family changes everything, usually for the better. I didn't have a car in college, only my bike. So after we had twins, I was riding home for lunch one day and went around a corner, hit some sand with my front tire and slid, didn't go down. But at that moment it hit me-----I had two kids, I had responsibility. I put the bike away that noon and didn't get it out again for 17 years. When they graduated from high school I started riding again, figuring they could fend for themselves if they had to. Have put on over 100K since then.

Adventure can come on day trips and weekend trips. Even exploring with a girlfriend/wife. It's how you perceive the adventure and time off. Just enjoy what you have.
This, lol. My wife and I toured for a few years, and then the boy came along after 12 years of great two-up riding, and she said "one of us has to stay alive, I'm getting off." I did, too, mostly...now that he is in college, and my wife could scraped up a younger guy in a minute, lol (56), I'm back to slinging leg, but I've found I'm kind of bored with the long trips, so I am looking for a smaller bike and want to re-explore my young days when I was just getting into some off-road, and then a dude got squished in my front yard one night and my mom flipped completely out. I had to wait until I was married and starting on that long slide before I could re-indulge, lol. Anyway, find like-minded friends, have fun and all that. I was just about ready to hang up the bike and get a Jeep because my wife loves 4X4...and then I stumbled into Romanouski's trip. Curse you, Romanouskiiiiii!! (screams at the heavens)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=854312
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #257
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
It is always about choices...I'm digging the responses. For me, my choice was to have a family. As the boys got older, I had more chances to ride and in the past 14 years I've ridden about 300K miles.

I did my share of sleeping in the dirt, eating noodles and camping in the fields. That got old after a few years, so now I prefer nice campsites with hot water and/or small, family motels. Camping and the mom and pop places give me a chance to meet interesting people, which to me, is the best part of traveling.

I retired from education as a school principal and now have all the time I need to ride. It's been the best of all possible worlds-a great profession, wonderful co-workers and friends, some time (not much) in the summer for riding, and now the time and money to do it the way I want to.

I hope you all achieve your riding dreams, no matter how you do it.

cheers,

Steve

Ps-All the GSA guys are rushing around...what??
Old 05-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #258
nuttynu
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 935
I may jump the boat and just do this In a few years.

In 2015, just ride North America for 1 year.

nuttynu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 PM   #259
Anciano
Bushpilot

Oddometer: 239
I did not think that I could take the time to do long adventures when I was younger. At seventy, with the Big Dog’s GPS track, SPOT and cell phone I rode the Continental Divide Ride by myself. My wife was so miserable with worry during the trip that I promised to never do a long ride by myself.

Last summer I rode the TAT with four other guys, the oldest was twenty-nine, I was seventy-three. Three of the guys had just graduated from college and had been planning the trip for a year. One guy quit his job, sold his car and wasn’t worried at all about getting a job when the trip was over. Me, I was worried about getting back to do some tax returns that were on extension. (I am an accountant.)

In one trip there were kids taking a break before beginning a career, a young man taking a break from his career and an old man worried about getting back to his career

Wayne
Anciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:46 AM   #260
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anciano View Post
In one trip there were kids taking a break before beginning a career, a young man taking a break from his career and an old man worried about getting back to his career
Epic. Mint. Stellar. A perfect reminder that careers are part of life, not life itself...at any age.

Thanks for passing on the inspiration!
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #261
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 626
I get grant money to go to school (age: 25). I am not connected to my parents so I legally poor according the the government. The give me a lot of money to go to school. I also get the GI bill which pays for school and a very nice housing allowance. I use the grant money and left over housing allowance to go on trips.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:43 AM   #262
salcar
Riding 4 Health

Oddometer: 1,078
if there is a will there is a way!

I quite my job at 26 the first time to travel for 1 year across Latin America (21 countries, 55,000 kms).... I had student loans to pay off and I was working in the US. My family thought that I was crazy to give up my work visa and to quite my job with only 2 years of experience....

After the trip I found a much better job paying me 3 times as much in Switzerland... After 4 years climbing the corporate ladder I quit my job again at age 32 to backpack in Asia and then to cross Africa on a 800 GS.

I will soon be back on the job market but I'm not to worried. The experiences of being on the road in third world countries makes my resume stand out from the crow.

Money is always the big issue. For the first trip I was able to make some money online, several ADV chipped in, my family and friends also supported me. While on the road I met an older rider that paid all my hotels for 3 months in exchange to translate for him....

My recommendation is that once you fix your mind on something the universe will conspire to make it happen!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #263
AdventurePoser
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anciano View Post
I did not think that I could take the time to do long adventures when I was younger. At seventy, with the Big Dog’s GPS track, SPOT and cell phone I rode the Continental Divide Ride by myself. My wife was so miserable with worry during the trip that I promised to never do a long ride by myself.

Last summer I rode the TAT with four other guys, the oldest was twenty-nine, I was seventy-three. Three of the guys had just graduated from college and had been planning the trip for a year. One guy quit his job, sold his car and wasn’t worried at all about getting a job when the trip was over. Me, I was worried about getting back to do some tax returns that were on extension. (I am an accountant.)

Wayne
+1

One of the best posts ever...
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #264
timk519
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,611
Glad to see you're up to your old tricks Salcar!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #265
Motomochila
Mechanically Inept

Oddometer: 861
Been subscribing to this thread since OP. had a few arguments with some as to how this can be done; one thing I can say to anyone under 30 and not married. Do this now and life will bring you many interesting opportunities. I traveled to Europe when I was in my 20's, but not on an adventure motorcycle. Had I know, I would have certainly gone this route. I travel in short stints now and wish I had 2-3 years to take to discover the world. Kids, wife and career has kept me from my dream. And I think about this every single day. I am leaving for Europe next month to ride "solo" for 2 months, something I've wanted to do for 20 years. Everyone that I have met that followed their dream when they were young were far more happier than those who followed the "status quo" and did what every else did.

I'm now 56 and finally have the time to take to ride for an extended time. You can find a way and the money when you are young. Older takes far more money and generally far less time to enjoy the adventure...

http://www.maxdumaz.com
Old 05-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #266
teizms
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomochila View Post
..... Older takes far more money ...

http://www.maxdumaz.com
that is one of the reasons we are doing are long-term trips at this stage... we knew that with each our requirements for nicer hotels and conditions would increase. so if we are saving up to it - the budget would just keep increasing as we go along. right now, we can say hey we will buy this later or see this on our next trip. at a much later stage, we would know that our chances for returning would be slim...
teizms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #267
ShaneBaby
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100mpg View Post
You know the ADV in advrider stands for adventure right?
Sarcasm I hope? Have you seen Witolds adventures?
ShaneBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 02:52 PM   #268
Ducati7444
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxF View Post
Maybe this has been covered before but I couldn't find a comprehensive thread with a quick search...

My BIG question: How the hell do you guys manage to do multi-week or even multi-month (let alone RTW) trips?

Not talking about the financial aspects here but rather how do you get the time off work/ how does it affect your "career" in any way? Do you take vacation time? Do you take "time off work" and pick up where you left once you return? Do you use time between jobs for travel? Without being indiscreet I'd be interested what you do and how you get the time to do those trips

I'm incredibly envious when I read the ride reports. But for me, getting two consecutive weeks vacation time would be a luxury (and even that would include constant pestering via BB). The only possibility I see is quitting my job and starting over at another firm once I return which would be a step back career-wise. It really sucks, I'm in my late 20s and feel like I have wasted my "best years" as a corporate slave. That can't be right...
For many year, i skip parts of my vacation time because my boss always ask me to take care of business, now I have accumulated 12 weeks vacations and I just take it. (6 weeks). I'm fortunate enough my boss understand the need to take a long time off to avoid burnout. Financially, you can travel on budget, if you can eat at home, you can eat on the road. the biggest expenses are tires and gas. But you can save money every month for that. The key is to decide you are going to do that trip you are dreaming about...
Ducati7444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:40 AM   #269
One Fat Roach
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcar View Post
if there is a will there is a way!

I quite my job at 26 the first time to travel for 1 year across Latin America (21 countries, 55,000 kms).... I had student loans to pay off and I was working in the US. My family thought that I was crazy to give up my work visa and to quite my job with only 2 years of experience....

After the trip I found a much better job paying me 3 times as much in Switzerland... After 4 years climbing the corporate ladder I quit my job again at age 32 to backpack in Asia and then to cross Africa on a 800 GS.

I will soon be back on the job market but I'm not to worried. The experiences of being on the road in third world countries makes my resume stand out from the crow.

Money is always the big issue. For the first trip I was able to make some money online, several ADV chipped in, my family and friends also supported me. While on the road I met an older rider that paid all my hotels for 3 months in exchange to translate for him....

My recommendation is that once you fix your mind on something the universe will conspire to make it happen!
interesting.
I'm 26 and just bought my first KLR. And Latin and south America are on my to do list after a short 3 years of riding. I have nothing planned after this summer and have been thinking of starting it this fall. Realistically I should do it next year so I can plan and have the right gear.

Hmmmm.

Everyone's story is so unique and awesome to read about!!
One Fat Roach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #270
travelinggnome
TravelingGnome

Oddometer: 31
Maybe it's just me, but I refuse to give up these years for anything other then what I want. You have your entire life to work for someone else (if that's really the way you want to go about making a living). My advice, work for yourself; be your own boss and set your own schedule. I'm 25 and have been all over the world on what i make bartending/serving tables and flipping anything of value (mainly camera equipment, cars, and motorcycles). As of today, I have 4 motorcycles, 2 cars and a house (albeit I do have roommates that help with the monthly bills). There is ALWAYS a way to get the things you want and slaving your life away working for someone else isn't the only option. Don't buy into that crap; think, and do, for yourself.

My girlfriend passed away suddenly a year and a half ago at the age of 24; screw all of those people who tell you to wait until you're older... YOU ARE NOT GUARANTEED THAT TIME.

Time is fleeting; your life is NOW. GO!
travelinggnome is offline   Reply With Quote