Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #1486
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by lstewart View Post
The pds are o.k., but I've got to figure out something better. A UQ is probably inevitable, but it will have to be compressible to about the size of a.volleyball or smaller Any suggestions.
Look at the picture Land posted a page or so back. He's got a 0 degree Hammock Gear Incubator under quit. I went with the 20 degree and it packs even smaller. They are expensive, but very nice.
Where the fuck is the road?

Boon Booni screwed with this post 05-23-2013 at 03:21 PM
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 PM   #1487
Racerman27410
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by CordR View Post
Just curious if anyone has fit the Exped 9 DLX inside of a HH explorer.

I recently picked up the Exped 9 of craigslist. The ad said DLX, the photos were clean, it said 'used once' etc....

However, it's not the model with the built in pump which I would have preferred.

Anyway, I did buy it. I haven't had a chance to do a test hang yet, but that mat looks big. It also doesn't roll up all that tightly so I'm thinking I possibly should have got the 7.

Curious to know what the fit is like for those that have tried.

thx

C
I have the downmat 9dlx with the integral pump and have used it in a HH explorer deluxe..... working the rectangle in an assym hammock means you have to deflate the pad a little so it can change shape... but deflating it too much reduces the R value considerably.... i found that a mostly inflated pad stayed in place much better if i also used the undercover that came with the hennessy insulation package. the undercover contained the mat and kept it in between the layers where i needed it most.

if your mat is a downmat then it is capable of compressing down to about the size of a football * USA version of a football* although i rarely compress mine that small as shown here....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huy6nlRFHxs
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:52 AM   #1488
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,334
Went for my first motorcycle hammocking adventure this past weekend at Rick's RDV.

Took my inflatable thermarest and sleeping bag (strapped to seat), as I don't yet have an underquilt. They kept me nice and warm.

Pitched my superfly for the first time with no problem, kept me dry through two nights of constant rain. Also, I was able to find a nice quite spot away from the noisy drunken crowd shooting off fireworks and mortars because it was covered in roots and rocks (undesirable for tent campers).

Loading up in the rain wasn't fun. At least I brought a trash bag for my sleeping bag.

First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #1489
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

That's awesome.

You should consider adding tent poles to your setup. Use two and attach them to the guy connections in the wall of the tarp. Opens up the space inside nicely.

I just did a proof of concept on my Old Man Winter tarp this weekend with two of my tent poles and have now ordered dedicated poles to make it work.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:40 AM   #1490
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boon Booni View Post
You should consider adding tent poles to your setup. Use two and attach them to the guy connections in the wall of the tarp. Opens up the space inside nicely.

I just did a proof of concept on my Old Man Winter tarp this weekend with two of my tent poles and have now ordered dedicated poles to make it work.
Yes, i've heard that mentioned. It was a bit cramped, but I pitcked it really low to the ground which didn't help matters. I did tie off one wall connection to a nearby tree later in the day that helped open it up a bit. I've seen people use trekking poles or sticks. Any pics of your setup to illustrate what you mean?
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #1491
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanADV View Post
Yes, i've heard that mentioned. It was a bit cramped, but I pitcked it really low to the ground which didn't help matters. I did tie off one wall connection to a nearby tree later in the day that helped open it up a bit. I've seen people use trekking poles or sticks. Any pics of your setup to illustrate what you mean?
Yeah, I can take some photos of my proof of concept tonight when I get home.

Until then, here's basically what I did.

I have several tents, so there's no shortage of tent poles around my house. I used 2 tent poles and made 4 prussic loops out of 2-3mm cord I have. I tied prussic knots with the 4 loops onto the poles. 2 knots per pole. Then I layed the poles over the tarp. I used "s" clips to attach the prussic knots to the guy out points on my tarp (the same points you have on your tarp). With the prussic knots I was able to adjust the tension of the poles until I got what seemed like the right amount of bow in the poles.

I disconnected the poles and used the distance between the prussic knots to determine the correct length of poles for my tarp. My tent poles are at least 10' long, but the "correct" length I need is only about 5', so I've ordered some 5' poles online to fit exactly what I need. I think I'll probably keep using the prussic knots until I can make up some webbing with grommets.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #1492
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Oddometer: 4,498
Quote:

You saw my bastard set up, and I use 4 (two per tarp) poles for that cluster (I was trying to avoid the poison ivy). I have found that the adjustable MSR poles are perfect for using one side of the tarp like an awning and still being able to drop it for warmth if needed.

"For those who fight for it life has a flavor the protected never know."
USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
6USMC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #1493
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Quote:
Here you go..

Poles are way too long, but it proves the concept for me....

... More roomier.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #1494
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

My Old man Winter has polls somewhat like that (shorter and much thinner). In my other post I was referring to the use of polls to set one side of the tarp as an awning so there is more room to store gear out of the weather. The OMW works very well using both the spreader poll and two uprights for the awning. When the terrain cooperates, I hang my daughter's hammock facing mine and park the bike under the awning. 40 years ago I did something similar using light canvas hammocks and tarps and built a low fire in between them for winter camping.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 05-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #1495
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
You saw my bastard set up, and I use 4 (two per tarp) poles for that cluster (I was trying to avoid the poison ivy). I have found that the adjustable MSR poles are perfect for using one side of the tarp like an awning and still being able to drop it for warmth if needed.
Yep, Mike, I loved your setup for a "porch mode" - I think that's what they call it? I just hadn't heard of using the poles as shown below. Did you get any pics of yours? Have a link to the poles by any chance? (EDIT: found these: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-8-Foot-Adj...djustable+pole)

Quote:
This is quite interesting. I get the concept, but I must say I would have never imagined that on my own. I guess the tent poles tend to want to straighten, causing it to lift the attachment points. Awesome.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #1496
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

Quote:
Yep, Mike, I loved your setup for a "porch mode" - I think that's what they call it? I just hadn't heard of using the poles as shown below. Did you get any pics of yours? Have a link to the poles by any chance? (EDIT: found these: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-8-Foot-Adj...djustable+pole)

This is quite interesting. I get the concept, but I must say I would have never imagined that on my own. I guess the tent poles tend to want to straighten, causing it to lift the attachment points. Awesome.
Yup, that's exactly what they do.

The MSR pole your linked is the same one with one exception - I have the 5' poles.

Backcountry has the 8' on sale:

http://www.backcountry.com/msr-adjustable-tent-poles

and backcountrygear has the 5'

http://www.backcountrygear.com/msr-a...ble-poles.html

No pix, I never thought to take one of my setup.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67
Old 05-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #1497
BgDadddy
Big Dufus

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:

Nice bike!!!

http://s67.photobucket.com/user/rick...?sort=3&page=1
BgDadddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #1498
docwells7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6USMC6 View Post
My Old man Winter has polls somewhat like that (shorter and much thinner). In my other post I was referring to the use of polls to set one side of the tarp as an awning so there is more room to store gear out of the weather. The OMW works very well using both the spreader poll and two uprights for the awning. When the terrain cooperates, I hang my daughter's hammock facing mine and park the bike under the awning. 40 years ago I did something similar using light canvas hammocks and tarps and built a low fire in between them for winter camping.

I had a pole made for the OMW when I had the tarp made. They sewed two pole pockets on the inside of the middle tie-outs. The pole sections are only about a foot long, so it packs down nicely. I love my OMW!

IBA#25276
Airhead#9654
docwells7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #1499
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
... More roomier.
Me likey.

I'll be digging out and custom sizing some old tent poles for my Superfly tarp so that I can steal your idea.

I, too, was at Rick's Rendezvous, but I was only there Friday and Saturday nights.
Here's a crappy cellphone pic of my setup:

I used my big ol' Jacks R Better tarp, my WBBB 1.7dbl and my Hammockgear underquilt and topquilt.

For those of you who were there, that was my rig right beside the de-noobing platform.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #1500
6USMC6
R.I.P. Party Boss

I saw it.

Evan, Katoom119 and I were just below the kitchen, hanging amongst the poison ivy vines and the horseshoe pits.

USMC 65-68 RVN 66-67