ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 171 votes, 4.84 average. Display Modes
Old 05-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #7951
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmbeedee View Post
It's a crapshoot anyway. It's not like I'm taking scientific readings. Where is the best place for it, anyway? In a tank bag? In a pocket getting warm from body heat? In a fairing, getting warm from the bike? There is no easy answer, but at least this means I have it with me.
I just go for the tank bag. It usually reads about 5* higher, but hell, I left mine on the bars one time and it was reading 92 when the temps were around 75.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #7952
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie View Post
I just go for the tank bag. It usually reads about 5* higher, but hell, I left mine on the bars one time and it was reading 92 when the temps were around 75.
I've been riding with mine since they came out (about 35,000mi) and this is the best location I could come up with and still get a "reasonably" consistent ambient temp (sun or no).

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #7953
Emmbeedee
Procrastinators

Oddometer: 8,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
I've been riding with mine since they came out (about 35,000mi) and this is the best location I could come up with and still get a "reasonably" consistent ambient temp (sun or no).
I tried using it on my jacket but every time I went into a restaurant but left the gps switched on, on the bike, the ANT connection was lost. I had to shut the gps off, then turn it back on, or turn the ANT signal off, then back on, before the connection re-established itself between the Tempe and the gps.

That's why I make sure the Tempe and the gps always travel together now by virtue of them being tied together.
Emmbeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #7954
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:
I tried using it on my jacket but every time I went into a restaurant but left the gps switched on, on the bike, the ANT connection was lost. I had to shut the gps off, then turn it back on, or turn the ANT signal off, then back on, before the connection re-established itself between the Tempe and the gps.

That's why I make sure the Tempe and the gps always travel together now by virtue of them being tied together.
Good point. I almost always take my GPS with me when I leave the bike so it hasn't been an issue.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #7955
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
A track consists of multiple points and each point is connected by a straight line. It does not necessarily follow the intended path 100%. It is only as good as the points that are in it, the spacing and the accuracy of the device locating those points on the trail when you are using the track. If the points are too far apart (or were not placed properly if the track was made in Basecamp or Mapsource), it is easy to imagine that the track will not exactly follow the intended path on the ground. I think when you understand what a track is, how they were made and to some extent, the gps's accuracty, you will see that it can be very useful navigation tool. However, it is not necessarily 100% true to the intended path, but is instead a good approximation. A route, on the other hand, does more exactly follow the intended path if the routing data in the map is properly produced.

Edit: However, tracks are more accurately transportable between different GPS units because they are not calculated. Since a track is just a consecutive list of points, each GPS unit should see the same set of points with a straight line from one point to the next and they will all be equally as accurate or inaccurate on each unit.

Only routes do turn-by-turn directions. Tracks do not.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #7956
trampaslake
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Thanks guys. I'm knew it had to be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablebandit View Post
Yes. Under the Setup -> Main Menu then just hit the + to add more icons.

http://garminmontanagpsr.wikispaces.com/Setup
Quote:
Of course - go to Setup/Main Menu and click the +. And if you want multiple menus click the right arrow at the bottom of the screen and create more screens for the Main Menu.
trampaslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #7957
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer

Quote:

However, it is not necessarily 100% true to the intended path, but is instead a good approximation. A route, on the other hand, does more exactly follow the intended path if the routing data in the map is properly produced.
Wow, that's a statement that needs some clarification.

Dan
All Things GPS
Old 05-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #7958
woodsatyr
Kitty Boy

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydawg View Post
Has anyone found a case they like to store their Montana in? Maybe a camera case or something?
Yep. An old sock. Drop it in, wrap it around, fold the cuff to secure. Works great and the price is right.
woodsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:39 PM   #7959
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,989
Quote:
A track consists of multiple points and each point is connected by a straight line. It does not necessarily follow the intended path 100%. It is only as good as the points that are in it, the spacing and the accuracy of the device locating those points on the trail when you are using the track. If the points are too far apart (or were not placed properly if the track was made in Basecamp or Mapsource), it is easy to imagine that the track will not exactly follow the intended path on the ground.
Two subjects are very intertwined with much confusion:

A Track may be an Active Log that was actually recorded by a GPS. It is as accurate as he accuracy of the GPS plus the recording resolution (true with any digital measurement) which can be user set (I use Automatic, Most). Nothing to do with intent or maps, just Lon/Lat points on surface of earth of where the GPS was located when a point was recorded.

A Track may also be created with various draw tools. In this case it is what it is and has no corelation to actual roads or trails on the ground, only to the map it was created from.

In any case, when downloaded to a GPS, they are both fixed paths and will not change no matter how close you actually follow it.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #7960
therivermonster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Profiles, Voices, and Vehicles Missing

I'm a bit new to the Montana, and with the help of this thread and the Wiki, I'm coming along.

Just today I accessed the Montana internal memory, uSD card and tried to delete all items. Then I loaded a couple segments of City Nav, made a route, and took the GPS out for a test ride. I had the GPS hooked up to my Sena head set, but I wasn't getting any turn by turn audio. (previously I was the day before). I took a look in settings and noticed that there are no longer any voice choices in the Voice Language menu. I also realized that the default Profiles, and the Vehicle options are no longer available. The menus for them are still there, but there aren't any selections to choose from.

Also, I somehow deleted the Global base map from the unit. Could this be the problem?

I was using 4.9, then went back to 4.7 to see if that would help. It didn't. So I went back to 4.9.

Web Updater doesn't give me any options to install any voices, or any further features.

I am installing City Navigator on the unit again thinking that this may solve the problem, but if I remember correctly, I think that I saw the voice, vehicle, and Profile options on the Montana before I loaded the map, so this may not help.

Ideally what I would like to do is get the unit back to factory new software settings with all features that should be included as such.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, everyone!

Edit: I am researching the issue further, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to reinstall the base map on the GPS. City Navigator is on there just fine, but the base map isn't. I looked at the unit with JaVaWa, and it said that the unit didn't have a base map installed (which we already know) and that the GPS probably wouldn't operate properly without it. "Well how would one go about getting that base map back on the GPS, JaVaWa?" Any ideas?

My Virgin ADV Trip
, Rocks Flyin', Me Cryin', and God Looking On - A WABDR Adventure, Fun With Carbon Fiber

therivermonster screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 09:46 PM
therivermonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #7961
Timmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,298
Answer to Maps Not Showing on Micro SD Card

I've been struggling with why my CN NA & Europe maps wouldn't display on the Montana although I could see them in the proper directory using my PC. I searched the net extensively, and finally found a hint of a solution buried in a post.

What I found was that I had loaded too many map segments in some topo maps (they tend to have lots of segments). I deleted those and re-installed the two CN maps and they are now selectable from the Montana. It was a lesson learned for me, and I hope it will help someone else.
'03 Wing
'01 ST1100
Timmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #7962
SteveAZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
...Just today I accessed the Montana internal memory, uSD card and tried to delete all items...
Hmmmm, you did copy all the stuff you deleted somewhere for...ya know... backup's sake?
SteveAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #7963
scottydawg
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Yep. An old sock. Drop it in, wrap it around, fold the cuff to secure. Works great and the price is right.
My old socks look and smell like... well old socks LOL.
scottydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #7964
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Oddometer: 17,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by therivermonster View Post
I'm a bit new to the Montana, and with the help of this thread and the Wiki, I'm coming along.

Just today I accessed the Montana internal memory, uSD card and tried to delete all items. Then I loaded a couple segments of City Nav, made a route, and took the GPS out for a test ride. I had the GPS hooked up to my Sena head set, but I wasn't getting any turn by turn audio. (previously I was the day before). I took a look in settings and noticed that there are no longer any voice choices in the Voice Language menu. I also realized that the default Profiles, and the Vehicle options are no longer available. The menus for them are still there, but there aren't any selections to choose from.

Also, I somehow deleted the Global base map from the unit. Could this be the problem?

I was using 4.9, then went back to 4.7 to see if that would help. It didn't. So I went back to 4.9.

Web Updater doesn't give me any options to install any voices, or any further features.

I am installing City Navigator on the unit again thinking that this may solve the problem, but if I remember correctly, I think that I saw the voice, vehicle, and Profile options on the Montana before I loaded the map, so this may not help.

Ideally what I would like to do is get the unit back to factory new software settings with all features that should be included as such.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, everyone!

Edit: I am researching the issue further, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to reinstall the base map on the GPS. City Navigator is on there just fine, but the base map isn't. I looked at the unit with JaVaWa, and it said that the unit didn't have a base map installed (which we already know) and that the GPS probably wouldn't operate properly without it. "Well how would one go about getting that base map back on the GPS, JaVaWa?" Any ideas?
I think if you hook the unit up to https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/dashb...?in=true&ni=ff it will scan the device and restore missing default files. Not sure if it will do the basemap, but worth a try. I know that when I deleted the factory dashboard files from my Zumo 350, it restored all of them.
Smugmug Discount: https://secure.smugmug.com/signup?Coupon=mStnWv71mNkjo
Support .orgs that work to protect your rights: ACLU, NRA, EFF
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:13 AM   #7965
Albie
Kool Aid poisoner

Oddometer: 8,661
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsatyr View Post
Mine just sits on my kitchen table or desk when not being used, so doesn't even need a sock.

Another day, another foot injury!
Albie is online now   Reply With Quote