User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 838
Boot questions

Currently I'm wearing some Red Head pull on work boots when I ride. They're thick leather, water proof, and very very comfortable. The issue though is that being a simple pull on boot they offer no ankle support to speak of. I prefer most things I own to be as versatile as possible, so I'm looking for a boot that's better for riding but will work for camping, working in the garage, day to day wear, etc. My feet are amazingly resilient to the cold (12 years in the Army and no matter how cold I've never needed winter issue boots when out in the field) so as long as they're water proof that's all I need. I'd prefer something zip on as well, mainly because I'm lazy and don't want to be lacing my boots on all the time.

Thanks.
DutchVDub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #2
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
It doesn't exist.

You can have a motocross boot with ankle protection or you can have a more flexible work boot or a fashion boot with a zip up.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,506
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
It doesn't exist.

You can have a motocross boot with ankle protection or you can have a more flexible work boot or a fashion boot with a zip up.
What he said.

What you want is what almost all of us want. You're going to have compromise. I've always wore good, thick, comfortable, lace up work boots. Compared to a lot, but not all, motorcycle street boots they offer as much or more protection except for hard ankle protection - my opinion of course - lots of guys would disagree. They don't offer anywhere near the protection of a good off road boot though. If I was going to be off road a lot, I'd invest in a good pair of off road boots.

Truly protective boots, like motorcross boots are going to be more awkward off the bike. No getting around it.

I do have a pair of Alpinestars Web Gore-tex boots that are easy on and off, are supposed to be waterproof and seem to offer good protection. They are also pretty comfortable. These are street boots of course and I would not recommend them off road.

There is a couple of threads going about the AStar Toucan. Lots of other boot threads to read. This is a fairly common topic.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #4
everett
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
I'm giving my feet, ankles, shins, and knees all the protection I can via Sidi Crossfires and knee braces. A little bulk and discomfort is a small price to pay for being able to walk into work on monday, instead of being rolled into the hospital on Sunday.

If you need to be able to walk around for sometime in utter comfort, buy some Chaco sandals and strap them to your bike. They take up very little space and are super comfy.

And I wear all my gear for trail rides or for puttering around town.

ATGATT!
everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 AM   #5
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251

I've been very happy with these boots that were only $250 --> LINK

Comfortable, hinges, good protection, inexpensive.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:08 AM   #6
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

I guess I should've mentioned I don't do much offroad riding, mostly highway and in town stuff with unpaved county roads mixed in.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Rango
Phaneropter

Oddometer: 1,103
whether it's a hidden tree stump or a high rise curb good foot and ankle protection makes a difference.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 PM   #8
TheBronze
This user's email bounces

Oddometer: 108
Combat boots

Well, I've worn all leather combat boots for twenty five years almost every day. I've jumped out of planes, marched over twenty miles, and yes....ridden a motorcycle in them. In fact I've worn Corcoran 1500 jump boots daily for the last several years. They actually make pretty good motorcycle boots. They're all leather, have a reinforced toe and heal are 10" tall and have good rigid soles. I've crashed in combat boots God knows how many times and never had a foot injury. They are every bit as good as any of the motorcycle "Touring" model boots. Go look at some of the touring model boots in the store and you'll see, they don't have armor in them either. The MX or race style boots do have armor, but are a bit much for wearing to the office.

All that said, you must realize that every boot choice is a compromise. If you go with a boot that will work for everything they won't perform exceptionally in any one area.

In the end you have to decide what you can accept based on your needs and the type of riding you do. I'm a commuter and it works for me.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
DutchVDub OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBronze View Post
Well, I've worn all leather combat boots for twenty five years almost every day. I've jumped out of planes, marched over twenty miles, and yes....ridden a motorcycle in them. In fact I've worn Corcoran 1500 jump boots daily for the last several years. They actually make pretty good motorcycle boots. They're all leather, have a reinforced toe and heal are 10" tall and have good rigid soles. I've crashed in combat boots God knows how many times and never had a foot injury. They are every bit as good as any of the motorcycle "Touring" model boots. Go look at some of the touring model boots in the store and you'll see, they don't have armor in them either. The MX or race style boots do have armor, but are a bit much for wearing to the office.

All that said, you must realize that every boot choice is a compromise. If you go with a boot that will work for everything they won't perform exceptionally in any one area.

In the end you have to decide what you can accept based on your needs and the type of riding you do. I'm a commuter and it works for me.

Yeah, I'm basically looking for the KLR of boots. Funny you mentioned the Corcorans because I was just thinking of busting my old black ones out of the closet. They also have a metal shank in the sole. Now if I could find them with a zipper side.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #10
Nitro1970
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchVDub View Post
Yeah, I'm basically looking for the KLR of boots. Funny you mentioned the Corcorans because I was just thinking of busting my old black ones out of the closet. They also have a metal shank in the sole. Now if I could find them with a zipper side.
http://www.midwestboots.com/Merchant..._Code=Corcoran
Nitro1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #11
lmychajluk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,505
Sidi Armada? http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...gore-tex-boots

I have them. Like them a lot. Don't mind wearing them all day, but they do squeak (but they could still be breaking in...). Doing a quick Google to see what a Red Head may look like, it may be what you're looking for.
lmychajluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
gregsfrontporch
B00b

Oddometer: 11
I've got a pair of Red Wing fireman's boots. I've had these for 25+ years now, resoled for the third time (from wearing them on the motorcycle). These boots are probably the most comfortable thing I own (next to the lambskin skivvies, but we'll save them for another thread).
They've got steel toes, a shank in the bottom and a zippered insert that replaces the laces. They are tight around the ankles for ankle support, but I wouldn't think they provide much impact protection. I broke a fib/tib several years ago while wearing racing boots that had ankle protection (don't remember the brand) so I don't know how much credit to give to supposed ankle protection.
I like these boots. They are water proof. They are comfortable. I can wear them on the bike, hike in them and they are even wearable in an office or something if I happened to frequent that type of place.
And they look great when I put that ol' military spit shine on them
gregsfrontporch is offline   Reply With Quote