Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,624
freakin' astounding!
Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM   #272
jakbrand
93 octane

Oddometer: 174
Stansbury Front Trail

needed a few more weeks of warm weather to open 100%. We successfully navigated around Box Elder Pass and rejoined at Hickman Canyon. No big deal.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #273
jakbrand
93 octane

Hickman Pass

presented the last hurdle. We could see the gap between two peaks that we needed to cross.

It appeared that this southern section had not been ridden this year, evidenced from all the downed aspen trees.

Team work!

jakbrand screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 07:07 AM
jakbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #274
jakbrand
93 octane

Like any great singletrack

it was over too soon.

We were running low on fuel. Dugway was our next scheduled stop before continuing south to Cherry Creek.

jakbrand screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 07:18 AM
jakbrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:49 AM   #275
SR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 979
Epic!!
SR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #276
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

Oddometer: 1,263
The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 8 Part 2)

After Stansbury, jakbrand had us visiting the friendly neighbors at the Dugway Proving Grounds for coffee, doughnuts, and fuel. Unbeknownst to him, the Dugway is a US Army facility dedicated to the development of chemical weapons and the training of special forces for war in alien environments. Needless to say, our presence in full MX garb was not welcomed. You all look very aggressive on those motorcycles and if they catch you around here their will confiscate your bikes. And jakbrand, but are you sure we can't get gas in Dugway? No, this is what you are going to do, you are going to slowly ride up to the end of this concrete barrier and you are going to make a u-turn and come right back here, keep riding and turn right at the next intersection and stay away from the facility...But the maps say there is a road through Dugway that connect to our next destination, Cherry Creek. No, this is what you are going to do, you are going to slowly ride up, make a u-turn…..

Above in the background is the heavily barricaded entrance to the facilities.

Below is the road the guards recommended.

Running low, we stopped at the Silver Sage for some fuel, , Smart Water and three frozen hotdogs.

The Gathering Place, highly recommended, good service, good food, and, like we always say, Utah has the best water...

Hmm, let's see….double bacon cheese burger, no bun, in lettuce wrap, lots of fry sauce…

Forgot to say no to the fries…but they were

A-rider treated us:

Road Reports by ejtv click here

ejtv screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 08:54 PM
ejtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:15 PM   #277
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 8 Part 3)

RR and pics for Day 8 part 3 won't post until Sunday. See you then!

Old 05-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #278
motoxer
"Ronin"

Oddometer: 14
Cry Phoenomonal as usual

You have once again got my blood stirring for some adventure. I'm getting too old for this moto stuff. Got Loretta Lynn's this summer and after that you gotta take me with you on the next one. This is another outstanding RR that ALMOST makes me feel like I was there. Thanks for the hard work that went into capturing the event.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 PM   #279
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,735
Thumb Nice Job!

Good stuff.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:10 PM   #280
ukturfrocks
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
subscribed this is an epic experience. Wish I was along for it
ukturfrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #281
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 8 Part 3)

After the Silver Sage refuel, it was off to Cherry Creek area…

…and then sand…

...sand….

...and more sand:

So we entered Little Sahara Recration Area from the north avoiding the main entrance (and the fees--the whole day we felt like real outlaws. We paid on the way out the next day after a 2 to 1 vote. Who voted against it will remain in the vault ). Like many features in the area of Utah we rode, the dunes were formed after Lake Bonneville receded and left large amounts of Sevier River delta sediment (which emptied into old Lake Bonneville just SSW from the park) exposed to the predominant SW winds. The winds carried the sand until they stalled due to the various obstacles in the park, including the famous 700 feet tall Sand Mountain. A peculiar feature of the sand is that it has magnetite, which is why, "magnetic sand" was lodged to the magnet of my pack's drinking water mouthpiece.

Eventually A-rider and jakbrand got away from me on one of the bowls…I took a looong time climbing out, then decided to take air out of my tires to around 8 pounds which helped me a lot. My DOT dual sport tires just didn't quite have enough bite compared to their MX tires. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it. Anyhow, I did see them cresting a dune way in the distance about 45 min later, but when we attempted to get back together we were unsuccessful. Surprisingly, we had txt signal: let's hook back up at the park's entrance at 5 PM, so while I stayed in the White Dunes area, they explored further south. "12 Days since the last serious accident" read a warning sign in the area...

Here's we are after climbing Sand Mountain later around 6-7 PM. No we could not climb it straight-on. A-rider tried and failed, so instead we climbed to the top in a roundabout way, still having to cut across a steep section that was at least to me, iffy going...

We did plunge down the mainline to the camping area…snowboarding helps after all…Sand Mountain is a veritable circus with dozens of ATV's, sand buggies, motorcycles with rear paddle tires, etc., the constant roar near and far, of engines, tents, large motorhomes, etc. The funniest part of that circus: we were the only motorcycles climbing the mountain with regular knobbies, camping gear, saddle bags, and extended gas tanks and the only riders with full protective gear and backpacks... Everyone else was pretty much riding in t-shirts.

Overall sand-riding experience at Little Sahara was over 3

ejtv screwed with this post 05-26-2013 at 04:22 AM
Old 05-26-2013, 04:02 AM   #282
ejtv OP
Per ipsum

The Long Way Around the Great Salt Lake (Day 8 Part 4)

Here's jakbrand finishing the climb up to our camping spot on the Black Mountains area, selected by A-rider. Steeper than it looks yada yada yada:

Setting up camp and finding a suitable location for my tarp (which is always a little tricker than a tent: not too rocky so stakes can be secured, protected and leeward from the wind, as leveled as possible, etc.) I found a scorpion under a small rock…for the first time I thought about the risks of sleeping without a net to keep the critters away. I was so tired though, I fell asleep right away. I guess riding 12 hours a day and having a nagging cold were slowly taking a toll...

A-rider hikes:

Campsite view as I climbed to join A-rider for some sunset shots:

A view of Sand Mountain in the background, with White Sands Dunes to its right (a slim sliver from this perspective) and "the dunes to the SW of Black Mountains" to its left (and foreground):

A closer look:

Relaxing and cooking the hotdogs we bought earlier in the day:

Later that evening, the spectacle at Sand Mountain continued. We watched the lights of all types of off road vehicles climbing up and down. We were a little concerned about the legality of our campfire, but then saw what we swear appeared to be a huge bonfire on top of Sand Mountain with ATV's around it….

The humming of engines in the distance was our lullaby

Old 05-26-2013, 07:44 AM   #283
jakbrand
93 octane

Bluhduh I Lost Credibility

in the desert. We were lucky Dugway gas stop was not critical. Although gas is available in Dugway, my mistake was not calling in the planning phase to confirm gas was availible to civilians. I assured A-Rider and ET that we could buy fuel 30 miles away in Vernon. They both flashed a an incredulous look back at me that made me nervous.

Thankfully, Silver Sage in Vernon had plenty of 85 octane gas. This is a pay inside only gas pump, so get there before they close.
Old 05-26-2013, 08:02 AM   #284
jakbrand
93 octane

We continued south

to Cherry Creek OHV area and eventually zig zagged our way on ATV trails to Little Sahara Sand Dunes National Recreation Area.

We could feel the energy of Sand Mountain as we watched powerful dune buggies, ATVs and motorcycles thunder up and over the 700' high sand pile.

But we did not come to watch, we came to ride!
Old 05-26-2013, 08:17 AM   #285
jakbrand
93 octane

A-Rider hit it first

but bogged down in the loose sand about half way up and retreated.

Then we attempted from a less steep angle on the west slope. I pinned it in third gear up the loose sand with the poor valves clapping for two minutes straight until I roosted over the top.