Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 07:12 PM   #31
Coloradical
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,073
I'm determined to help you figure this out.

I followed the link to your photobucket page. When viewing the picture you will see the "Links to share this photo" box on the right hand side of the page.

I clicked on the "Direct" box and the link automatically copies to the clipboard.

I come back to ADV and click in the "Reply to Thread" box to put the cursor where I want the picture to end up. Then I click the image icon (yellow button with mountains on it). A box will pop up. Paste the link in the box and click ok.

Voila!

Or we can just rummage through your photobucket account and post the pics that we like.

Or you could make a wrong turn, head south 450 miles to Colorado and I'll help you in person. The beer's on me.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:59 PM   #32
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Miles today 300 Total 2935
Best nights sleep for ages !
Had breakfast as " Taco Johns" which set me up for the day. It was dry to start with but at around midday I could see incredible black clouds on the horizon but heading my way. The rain, when it hit me, was intense as was the wind and the temperature dropped. For a good two hours or so I rode in this but is was uncomfortable and could see brighter skies to the right & the laft but not here !
Eventually it cleared up and the temp rose a bit also. The highway had a diversion due to road works and went through some beautiful Alpine scenery. Two bikes appeared in my mirrors and although I moved to the right, they stuck behind me due, as I found out later, to my GB sticker. I pulled over to a scenic view and so did Dave & Mike from Tennessee. There were also going to Alaska, although by a different route and from Anchorage by ferry to Seattle.
They had a month to do this trip and were great, friendly American guys. They were going to to carry on beyond Great Falls but after I passed my campsite to fill up with gas, returned to find them there as the sky was black again. Really black.
They managed to get the price of a log cabin reduced so I followed and for about 20 secured a small cabin to myself. However, the heavens had opened by then, the roads were flooded and so, almost was my cabin. See pics. I was moved to the next one.
Spent a good evening sharing pizza n beer with Dave & Mike hence this late entry.

Tomorrow Canada
davey1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #33
Keep Moving
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Pics. See if you can get the tiger parked at log cabin in rain. Tells the story! Enjoying following your thread. I'm preparing an old Suzuki Bandit to head out from the Great Plains. Boring I80 you've been on then into some interesting stuff eventually.

Here was the attempt at pics you tried in a previous post. It does take a bit of fiddling and I think I'd posted for a year on a site before it made sense.

[IMG]http://http://images.travelpod.com................ NO

[IMG]http://images.travelpod...................YES

Keep Moving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #34
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,407

Grumpy, I went to your photobucket account and this pic was there and to the right where it say IMG. I just left clicked on it and it showed copied . Came here and just right clicked and pasted.

..........[...URL=http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/triumph1212/media/GEDC0133_zpsbef13a96.jpg.html][...IMG]http://i1328.photobucket.com/albums/w536/triumph1212/GEDC0133_zpsbef13a96.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The IMG part is all you need but it don't be hurting nothing to leave the URL part in there. Course the 3 dots between the bracket and the IMG and URL , I put there so it would show what I was talking about instead of putting a second copy of the picture on this reply.

Loving yur trip and glad you are enjoying

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #35
GeoDude
Oblio had a point

Oddometer: 62
Thumb

Dave - I've been following you here and on your blog. You're doing a great job on both.

I for one wouldn't worry about posting photos here if it's too cumbersome. Your blog more than compensates - nice format, easy to use, tons of information, great photos, and complimented by the comments from your friends back in the UK.

After a full day of riding, advernturing and gathering memories, just to get your ride report posted is appreciated by those of us who are following your exploits.

Enjoy your time here in the States as it will pass too quickly. My only suggestion would be, if you can spare the extra time, get off the Interstates and onto the secondary roads that take you through "downtown" America.

Now get out there and have some fun!

Cheers,
KJ
And they roam the world at will...."

Spell of the Yukon by Robert Service
GeoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #36
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 283 Total 3218

Dave & Mike were away by 06-30 but they had been riding serious miles each day ie. 650 on one day I think. I was on the road by 08-30 after a coffee and wanted to get some miles in just in case. Well, it was a great day; very very windy in places, cold on the hills in North Montana heading towards Canada.
The roads were great, mostly with little or no traffic but DRY ! No rain, no mud, hardly any clouds...great. There were straight roads, there were bendy roads and mostly with great surfaces. Had a late breakfast in the cafe in the pic....the middle of nowhere, and for the third time it was totally empty when I arrived but packed when I left. The armed Border Patrol duo gave me a stern look !
For the scenery I will let the pics do the talking....superb
Eventually (after 173 miles) I came to the Canadian Border Control in Glacier National Park. It was really busy with a queue of.......just me actually. He asked what I was planning to do in Canada and after I told him he leant back, stared at me and said " And now you expect me to be polite to you ?". Nice guy and his family came from Dorset.
The roads and scenery were a beautiful start to Canada and it warmed up quite a bit. From the start, there was one place I HAD to go to and at least take a pic of the sign. After reading about it on the internet some time ago I actually had to visit it....so I did. "Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump" was worth the trip and the $10. Have a look on Expedia. Mr Vidler, I have now been there and to prove it.... I bought the T Shirt !
Now at a municipal campsite in Claresholm where it is windy, about 3 other camper vans here and I am tired.
Oh ! I popped into a store to get a couple of bits and was welcomed by Lenny, the town drunk and he shook my hand. He must have known I was coming !!

To all those who have tried to help me with the pics, I thank you and have not ignored your info. If you read the intro on my blog it does explain that I am a bit of a caveman when it comes to IT. I have been using Photobucket to download photos and it takes ages...it only take a few minutes on Travelpod. The last couple of nights have been taxing anyway so I have done the basics and crashed. Anyway, Hope to visit Mr DRambler in the next day or so and he is an expert !!
Old 05-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #37
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,668
Great Ride!!

make sure your visa is good to exit the US and then reenter. Years ago I had to rescue a couple of french chicks that had a USA Visa, had taken a bus to see the canadian side of Niagra Falls out of Buffalo, NY , then they couldn't get back into the US. DOn't want to worry you, I really don't know much about US visa laws, but hopefully you checked this out, if your stuck, sorry I didn;t see this thread a couple of days ago.

####edit### got this off of a visa info site : "It is imperative that you read the visa stamp carefully and make sure it is valid for reentry. The visa stamp may be valid for multiple entries or it may be limited to one or two entries"

***nother edit, from us customs site, looks like you are ok as along as you don't spend more than 30 days in canada,, but thats my interpretation, I am not an imigration expert,, just googling this stuff.

B-1 or B-2 visas: During your visit to the U.S., you may visit Canada or Mexico for up to 30 days and re-enter the U.S. as long as you re-enter within the period noted on the Form I-94 which you received when you first entered.
Best wishes, god speed

rboett screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 07:34 PM
rboett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #38
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oh, Oh ! I obtained a 6 month visa from the US embassy in London and told them and the immigration guy at the airport that I would be in Canada for up to 2 months and they said nothing about 30 days. I had better check, thanks.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #39
rboett
posser noob 205

Oddometer: 1,668
Good idea to just check it out. You are probably ok. I just wanted to give you a heads up to a potential issue .

Good luck

**** saw this on US state department site******* Look at your VISA under "Entries" , if their is a number, thats the number of times you can reenter, if it says "M" it appears you can come and go as you please , this is the site http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1298.html
Depending on your nationality, visas can be issued from a single entry (application) up to multiple/unlimited entries.

A visa issued for a single entry (denoted on the visa under “Entries” with the number 1) is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires to travel to a U.S. port-of-entry one time.
A visa issued for multiple entries (denoted under “entries” with a certain number (2, 3, etc.) or “M” for multiple/unlimited entries) is valid, or can be used from the date it is issued until the date it expires to travel to the U.S. port-of-entry as many times as your visa states, provided that:
Applying for a new visa is not necessary if your visa has not expired and you have not exceeded the number of entries permitted on your visa.
Multiple uses of a visa must be for the same purpose of travel allowable on the type of visa you have.

rboett screwed with this post 05-22-2013 at 05:59 AM
rboett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 AM   #40
Keep Moving
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Photos. I'm thinking travel pod could be an option for my next trip and just stick the odd pic up here. So, do what works for you!

Seeing update each day is something to look forward to and helps with motivation for my own trip. Keep up the great reporting.
Keep Moving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #41
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 302 Total 3520

Went to bed last night in the tent when it was mild but woke up at 2am ish and it was freezing so had to out on my sexy thermals and was still chilly. Hope I don't get the ladies too excited here !
I was due to stay the night with Dave, who I have corresponded with on ADVRider, a bike forum. He suggested going a more scenic route, so after packing the tent and having breakfast at a cafe next to a trucker who could talk the hind legs off 6 donkeys I set off. Once on the "22" the rain moved in with the wind (just for a change) and the ride was unpleasant. The spray & wind made the roads uncomfortable for me so I changed direction to the main highway 2 which, as Dave said, was the most boring in Alberta. I had to stop and dig out the heated jacket which was at the bottom of my pannier as I thought I wouldn't need it until northern Canada. Oh, stupid me !!
About 90 miles south of Edmonton I noticed a guy and a bike up ahead parked on the hard shoulder so I pulled over to see if I could help. Turns out he was only having a smoke and after I asked him if he was allowed to do that, he said " Sure, you can park anywhere you want to !!".
The total trip was 300 miles and the rain stayed with me for approx 220 then at about 270 miles, just south of Edmonton, it started getting really warm.
Arrived at Daves house at c 16-30 where I was made very welcome by him and his wife Wanitta. He will be making the same trip south starting August.
Had a great evening in a local "Celtic" pub and he helped plan my trip north as he has been there a few times.
Only three pics today as the ride was dull and in yukky weather. A real Canadian breakfast smothered with maple syrup.

North tomorrow so scenery better = pics !
hanks for all the comments and encouragement...... they really help.

Dave and his bike ready for his Pan American trip.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #42
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
look at you, all pro now at posting photos!

It was great to meet you Dave, have a great ride to Alaska and beyond.

Good to chat with you about pre-trip nerves and planning stuff that only folks who have done it can describe. I am so wanting to leave on my trip right now! Only 90 days to go.

Watch out for those moose!

D
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #43
DRRambler
AKA Albertastrom

Oddometer: 839
Oh and by the way Dave,

Thank you for your kind donation to the charity!
DRRambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #44
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Miles today 268 Total 3788
Said goodbye to Dave & Wanitta who were great hosts bearing in mind I had never met them before and headed off to a Yamaha & Triumph dealer to try to get Scottoil for my auto chain oiler. No luck but had a good chat about bikes "n" stuff as you should do.
Headed west and weather heald out...a bit cool but I can live with that. After approx 180 miles I could make out the Rockies ahead of me. Impressive !
Had lunch at an A & W which is a bit like a Canadian McDonalds but better. Bloke walked in and asked me about the bike, Triumph, BSA etc then the guy next to me states that he is from Canterbury, Kent although he lives here now.
Signs warning of wildlife were on the road side and looking for bears I soon saw my first wild & dangerous.........long horned sheep that cars has stopped to take pics of. However, shortly afterwards a fox (I think) ran out in front of me. Did see a moose but by the time I stopped the bike and prepped the camera it was gone.
No bears though.
After taking a few picks of the mountains and popping into Jasper to buy Bear Spray ( $41 !! Jeez ! ), I backtracked to Hinton to a campsite. All the campsites are expensive here and some don't have showers and few internet. Obviously this one has.
This site is close to a road that states "Scenic route to Alaska " which Dave told me about so that is where I am heading tomorrow. Hope I sleep as is is chilly and I am typing this in the tent as it is now raining !! And I missed it so much !

Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #45
davey1212 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dave = DRambler

Thanks for your help as I NOW see where I was going wrong. It's all easy when you know how.

To all the others who tried to help this old man, thanks, but I needed face to face tuition !

Dave