Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #16
cheff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
I have gone through so many gloves I cant count. My sweat is like acid and eats at them in a few months.

I was buying a pair of Held Steves every year, I tried some custom fitted Helimot buffalo gloves, lasted less than a year before I had a hole in the palm.

I then got the Elk skin gauntlets from Aerostich. They are now 3 years old, worn every single day rain or shine, with not sign of wearing out.

Best gloves ever in my personal opinion period. I loved the feeling of the kangaroo leather of the Steves but I could not afford spending 120 bucks a year in gloves.

Here is a pic. Like I said 3 years of daily wear. My GS grips lasted less than this gloves.

'04 XR650 Sold 30K miles
cheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #17
WRW9751
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR View Post
I was always happy with my Held Steve gloves, and felt them worth the price. Bought my last ones from http://www.newenough.com
I did the same, Held Steve gloves are very nice.
WRW9751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #18
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
+1, Held Steve.
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #19
Secretec
n00b

Oddometer: 1
These People Make Really Nice Stuff

FoxCreekLeather.com
Secretec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
biggziff
Funk Soul Bruvah

Oddometer: 7,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Thanks for the suggestions!

Anyone try the Cortech Latigo gloves? I recall a magazine review of Cortech gloves that was very positive.
I've been using the Cortech Adrenaline now for 4 years. They fit perfectly and other than a little rub spot on the thumbs and some fading of the black leather dye look about like they did when I got them. I have some leather dye so I'll just re-dye them. They have a newer version out now that looks nice too, but they bumped the price from $100 to almost $200 with the new model so I haven't tried them.

- Otto von Bismarck

<><

biggziff screwed with this post 05-21-2013 at 08:24 AM
biggziff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:30 AM   #21
philratton
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
I'm using Held's Air n Dry and I must say, not cheap, but the best glove I've ever had.
philratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #22
Hambonee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Using Held Calibur

GREAT glove...best used. Made for long fingers though.

Probably not the right glove for you but Held quality is amazing.
Hambonee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
atgatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by philratton View Post
I'm using Held's Air n Dry and I must say, not cheap, but the best glove I've ever had.

Totally agree. I love mine.
atgatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #24
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 610
I've had my black Motoport Kevlar Racing gloves for seems like almost a year now.

They are awesome. Buy a pair and never need to buy another pair of gloves again. The stretchiness of the Kevlar makes them more comfortable than any other gloves I've ever had. Way more comfortable than my equally-expensive Alpinestars GP Pro gloves.

And, needless to say, water doesn't hurt them at all (unlike leather) and they don't bleed.

I rode 550 miles, from north GA to almost DC on Sunday (on a borrowed CBR1000RR), in and out of rain the whole way, wearing these gloves. It was warm out, so I didn't care that my hands were getting wet. Each time I came out of the rain, in 15 - 30 minutes, my hands and gloves were dry again. Getting them wet and riding until they're dry just helps them conform to your hand even better.

http://www.motoport.com/index.php?op...d=14&Itemid=15
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #25
Chickenstrip OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheff View Post
I have gone through so many gloves I cant count. My sweat is like acid and eats at them in a few months.

I was buying a pair of Held Steves every year, I tried some custom fitted Helimot buffalo gloves, lasted less than a year before I had a hole in the palm.

I then got the Elk skin gauntlets from Aerostich. They are now 3 years old, worn every single day rain or shine, with not sign of wearing out.

Best gloves ever in my personal opinion period. I loved the feeling of the kangaroo leather of the Steves but I could not afford spending 120 bucks a year in gloves.

Here is a pic. Like I said 3 years of daily wear. My GS grips lasted less than this gloves.

Not so waterproof (resistant) though, eh? I can see some of you are leaning toward riding with wet hands ... I can do that with my summer mesh gloves, but I'd like to keep my paws dry. So far it's looking like the Held Steves are preferred but what about the Held Rainstorm gloves? Much cheaper at $112, and I'm nothing if not cheap.
Chickenstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:13 AM   #26
Vstrom650e
Banned

Oddometer: 101
We have been using the Held Warm & Dry gloves, they are terrific. My wifes hands tend to get cold so she has them on often during the year. I'm going to get a couple pair of Held Air & Dry for the summer months.

Great product, but I'm sure there are lots out there that will do the trick.
Vstrom650e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #27
hpsVFR
Hoosier Daddy

Oddometer: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickenstrip View Post
Not so waterproof (resistant) though, eh? I can see some of you are leaning toward riding with wet hands ... I can do that with my summer mesh gloves, but I'd like to keep my paws dry. So far it's looking like the Held Steves are preferred but what about the Held Rainstorm gloves? Much cheaper at $112, and I'm nothing if not cheap.
I had a pair of Held Raindrops at the same time as my last pair of Steve's. The waterproof membrane did it's job, both keeping me dry and keeping me warm when it was cool. They had an independent liner, which means that if my hand got a bit wet, it tended to pull the liner out of the glove, making for difficulty in putting the glove back on (but this isn't unique to Held gloves).

I liked them.

That said, they definitely offered less protection than my Steves, and the waterproof liner pretty much ruled them out for summer riding. Today, I'd be tempted to find a waterproof over-glove for my regular (summer or winter) gloves and just keep that with the rest of my rain gear (which means that I prefer separate rain gear to waterproof liners).

YMMV
Old 05-22-2013, 09:47 PM   #28
Ron Bullard
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheff View Post

+1

I used a pair of Fox Creek Leather elkskin gaunlets for 5 years. Super-solid gloves; really nice, actually. They kept my hands protected from asphalt more than once They eventually quit bleeding, but they were by no means waterproof. I remember a couple of times that I had to wring them out like a chamois before I continued my ride

I replaced them with a pair of AGV exoset (?) gloves that had hard carbon fiber knuckles, fingers, and all that stuff. They were fine for the daily commute, but a trip to SF and back had me dying to get something else because the hard knuckles and fingers were really uncomfortable for such a long trip.

I purchased a pair of Aerostich competition ropers recently to replace the AGVs, and they're *excellent*. Not really a true gauntlet like the Fox Creek Leather gloves, but they're long enough to go over the wrist. Very comfortable, very well made, very plush feeling, and I like how they look. I can't say that they offer any wet weather protection, but they feel great. The best wet-weather protection I've used was a pair of snowmobile handguards I adapted for winter use.

Day Trippin':

The Ridge Route, 2011

The Oregon Coast, 2009

"...the fuel goes in there, through there and out there. . . the black turny thing on the back then goes round and round."
Ron Bullard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #29
Chickenstrip OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggziff View Post
I've been using the Cortech Adrenaline now for 4 years. They fit perfectly and other than a little rub spot on the thumbs and some fading of the black leather dye look about like they did when I got them. I have some leather dye so I'll just re-dye them. They have a newer version out now that looks nice too, but they bumped the price from $100 to almost $200 with the new model so I haven't tried them.

Yep, those look nice. Waterproofness is a priority (why did I bring up Latigos? Those damn Revzilla guys got me distracted. :) )
Old 05-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #30
Chickenstrip OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpsVFR View Post
I had a pair of Held Raindrops at the same time as my last pair of Steve's. The waterproof membrane did it's job, both keeping me dry and keeping me warm when it was cool. They had an independent liner, which means that if my hand got a bit wet, it tended to pull the liner out of the glove, making for difficulty in putting the glove back on (but this isn't unique to Held gloves).

I liked them.
Good to hear about actual use. Are the liner kinda like silk liners for a degree of increased warmth, not used much in warmer months? My idea is that I'd be using these in spring-fall rainy weather, probably switching to mesh gloves when not raining.

Makes me think I should try rain covers.